Liv

Anyone weighed more than 380lbs and had the vertical sleeve surgery?

This might sound weird, but I've been looking at starting weights, and it seems I'm the heaviest woman on this site. Anyway, I'd love to hear from any women who started out as heavy as me... and went on to have the vertical sleeve surgery. (Actually, I'd love to hear from super heavy men who had VS as well.)

Funny thing is - when I first came to TT, my heart was set on the lap band. Then I changed my mind - I was going to get the gastric bypass. But now I've been doing more research/reading, and I'm considering the vertical sleeve.

Anyway, would love to hear from any VS post-op patients who were super obese before surgery.

PS I am the fattest person that I know (personally) and it seems everywhere I go, I'm the fattest person. I love TT because I know that here on this forum, there are others who used to be the fattest... like me. I guess I'm just looking for understanding - understanding of what its like to be super obese.

Edited by Liv

Well I am getting the bypass (though I considered the sleeve) but I'm currently weighing between 407-411 (starting weight 420lbs) depending on the day so you are not the heaviest woman at least! I also know what it's like to be the biggest person in the room. It's been that way for me since about 11 years old. In middle school I weighed more than most adults. By high school I was over 300lbs. It will.be odd not to be the biggest one around someday.

But I understand what it's like to be super obese. Sorry I can't help with the sleeve!

Hi Ziggy. Thanks for replying. It comforts me to know there are other people who are super obese who have not given up. In recent years I have felt that I would never lose weight and might as well accept being morbidly obese. It just seemed impossible for me - the idea of having to lose over 200 lbs. 200lbs just seemed like an insurmountable mountain (pun intended!).

But here on TT, I see people who were really heavy, and managed to turn their lives around. And it gives me hope.

I have a friend who had GBS two years ago, and she told me the one regret she has is that she did not do the surgery earlier. She also struggled with her weight since her 20s.

At my highest weight I was around 350, I lost ~50lbs on my own once I got on thyroid medication. I then hovered around the 300lb mark for a couple years, even working with a nutritionist didn't help. I remember (and still feel) overwhelmed by the weight I needed to lose.

I'm absolutely in love with my sleeve :)

When I first started looking in to WLS I too was interested in the band, but the more research I did I felt like VSG was the way to go. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with bypass or the sleeve, it's just a matter of personal preference really (imo). I didn't like the idea of having things re-routed, some folks don't like the idea of losing 85% of their stomach forever. For me, the fact that there is no going back to my bigger tummy is awesome.

No matter which surgery you have, the only way to be successful is to treat your sleeve/pouch/band like the tool that it is. We have to use the honeymoon period to change our bad habits and develop a healthier relationship with ourselves and the food we eat. No one is perfect at losing the weight, tool or no tool, but if you make the commitment to yourself to be honest and to make the effort I think you'll have no problems becoming a success story.

TT is an amazing resource, I'm so glad you found it :) keep us posted on your journey!

I started my journey at 320 pounds although my biggest is 340. I also was set on the Lap Band until I went to my first seminar about WLS and I was totally into the Sleeve after the seminar. I will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow. I am feeling good and very happy with my decision with the Sleeve. The reason I wanted the Sleeve was because I wanted to keep my stomach and not have things rerouted. I also chose the Sleeve because you are able to absorb more nutrients from your food. I follow a blog that I think would be great for you to take a look at, it is www.lessofmike.com . Mike had the Sleeve 3 months ago. He is an awesome person and very motivating. I love his posts. He started out in the high 400 pound mark and he is doing great. Good luck, I hope you find peace in whatever you decide. You can't go wrong with either procedure.

Hi There Liv... Well I started this journey at 460 pounds yes you read that right. I was all set to have the gastric bypass surgery and was under the assumption that my surgeon thought it was also the best option for me. I found out during the process that they had switched surgeons on me but I wasn't required to meet with him before surgery. I was being prepped for surgery literally outside the operating room when the team of Doctors were going over my stats and when they asked what surgery are you having? And I replied gastric bypass they were like um it says sleeve here.. I had no clue what they were talking about. The 1st surgeon I saw and the new one came to talk to me to apologize that they thought I knew I was having the sleeve. Because at my high weight the bypass was still too risky. Who was I to argue with both of them?? So I was then sleeved.. I am actually very very happy that they went that route. I have been doing really really great and I am stunned at my progress.. I already feel amazing and I can't wait to keep going.. You will do great. They told me that bariatrics is started to consider the sleeve as a stand alone procedure because the results have been very good with less risk of complications from malabsorption ect... This is here is Canada.. :) .. Good luck.. Feel free to message me anytime..

Liv,

Yes, I was 380 when I went for my consult with the surgeon. He told me he would do any of the 3 surgeries I wanted - but advised against me getting the band. I went in March '12 for my first appointment. I was sleeved in Aug '12 and was at 353 the day of surgery. (my surgeons office required 5% weight loss to qualify for surgery - among other things) But anyhow- 5 months later, I am down to 260. It's been quite a trip so far - and I can't wait to see what 1 year out will look like!

I think VSG was a better route for me - but I guess it's all in how you look at it.. what you're hoping to get out of it, etc.

hello...i was 405 at the time of surgery...at my two week appointment i had lost 37 lbs...i havnt been on a scale since then but i am back into clothes that i havnt worn in over 4 years...shedding the weight...

hello...i was 405 at the time of surgery...at my two week appointment i had lost 37 lbs...i havnt been on a scale since then but i am back into clothes that i havnt worn in over 4 years...shedding the weight...

Wow, well done! And thanks for posting.

Liv,

Yes, I was 380 when I went for my consult with the surgeon. He told me he would do any of the 3 surgeries I wanted - but advised against me getting the band. I went in March '12 for my first appointment. I was sleeved in Aug '12 and was at 353 the day of surgery. (my surgeons office required 5% weight loss to qualify for surgery - among other things) But anyhow- 5 months later, I am down to 260. It's been quite a trip so far - and I can't wait to see what 1 year out will look like!

I think VSG was a better route for me - but I guess it's all in how you look at it.. what you're hoping to get out of it, etc.

Thanks for replying. At the moment I am leaning heavily in favour of the VSG. But I will hear what my surgeon has to say (8 Feb). I am concerned about the malabsorption with the GB.

Well done on your weight loss so far :-)

Edited by Liv

Hello!

Yes, I started this process weighing 443 pounds and I have an umbilical hernia that has really taken over my stomach!!!

It was PARAMOUNT that I have this surgery BEFORE they repair the hernia AGAIN for the 4th time. In fact, it's now become a full abdominal reconstruction that I will have once I cap off with my weight loss.

I had my surgery on August 21, 2012 and since then, I am now weighing 336 pounds. I was told I am to lose approximately 170 pounds, but will gain about 20-30 of it back once my body settles. I was also told that it takes about 18 months before my body caps off. It's only been 5 months and it's taking me TOO FAST....

Yeah, I am one who was heavier than 380 pounds before having the Gastric Sleeve procedure.

Hello!

Yes, I started this process weighing 443 pounds and I have an umbilical hernia that has really taken over my stomach!!!

It was PARAMOUNT that I have this surgery BEFORE they repair the hernia AGAIN for the 4th time. In fact, it's now become a full abdominal reconstruction that I will have once I cap off with my weight loss.

I had my surgery on August 21, 2012 and since then, I am now weighing 336 pounds. I was told I am to lose approximately 170 pounds, but will gain about 20-30 of it back once my body settles. I was also told that it takes about 18 months before my body caps off. It's only been 5 months and it's taking me TOO FAST....

Yeah, I am one who was heavier than 380 pounds before having the Gastric Sleeve procedure.

Well done on your weight loss Big Meach! You've done amazingly well. I hope the hernia surgery goes well.

A million thanks to everyone who has replied to this post. You all inspire me. I feel such love in this forum, and such hope. I know that if you could do it, I can do. I hope to be an inspiration to others as I lose weight. *hugs*

i used to weigh 377 at the time of surgery... i got sleeved up on march 12 of last year. i have lost a total of 148 lbs since... i am one very happy person right about now!

i used to weigh 377 at the time of surgery... i got sleeved up on march 12 of last year. i have lost a total of 148 lbs since... i am one very happy person right about now!

Well done Oh_mee! Weighing in the low 200s after being close to 400lbs, I can only imagine how great that must feel. Well done you! :-)

Well done Oh_mee! Weighing in the low 200s after being close to 400lbs, I can only imagine how great that must feel. Well done you! :-)

trust me its is a great feeling! and i dont regret doing what i did!

Good Luck to you Liv!

I started at 358lbs and my height is 4ft 9 so I'm very obesed for my height. I absolutely love my sleeve! I was going to do the gastric bypass but my doctor said the sleeve would be a perfect option for me. So far I am down to 307lbs from 350lbs in a month I'm very happy an already feel great!

I started at 358lbs and my height is 4ft 9 so I'm very obesed for my height. I absolutely love my sleeve! I was going to do the gastric bypass but my doctor said the sleeve would be a perfect option for me. So far I am down to 307lbs from 350lbs in a month I'm very happy an already feel great!

Thanks Alicia. Great hearing this - I really want to get the sleeve :-) And well done on your weight loss! Post before and after photos soon.

Yup... I peaked at 518, lost some weight during pre op and went down to 460's at time of surgery ... Since surgery two weeks I'm now in 430's.

Yup... I peaked at 518, lost some weight during pre op and went down to 460's at time of surgery ... Since surgery two weeks I'm now in 430's.

Well done on your amazing progress!

I actually didn't have the sleeve but I weighed 443 lb's prior to surgery so I can completely understand. I had the Gastric bypass August 14th and now I weigh 313lb's. I still have a long ways to go but one day at a time. When you look at the big picture it can be overwhelming but I break it into little goals,like this time five months ago I wasn't even able to walk a block without being winded but now I can walk all over the place even walked to the beach for my first time today!! Good luck Sweety,you'll meet alot of wonderful,helpful people here along your journey :)

I actually didn't have the sleeve but I weighed 443 lb's prior to surgery so I can completely understand. I had the Gastric bypass August 14th and now I weigh 313lb's. I still have a long ways to go but one day at a time. When you look at the big picture it can be overwhelming but I break it into little goals,like this time five months ago I wasn't even able to walk a block without being winded but now I can walk all over the place even walked to the beach for my first time today!! Good luck Sweety,you'll meet alot of wonderful,helpful people here along your journey :)

Thanks Kim. I met with my surgeon today and I'll actually be having the gastric bypass surgery. Thanks for your encouragement and well done on your progress! Very inspiring!

I started at 386, had VSG in Aug. 2012.  Originally lost 85 but have put some back on since then.  Very upset with myself.  But I just keep trying everyday to do what I should be doing.  I too had the sleeve because I didn't want my insides rerouted.  Glad I had it, just wish I had more willpower.  Sweets are my downfall.  But I keep my tub of Nectar on the kitchen table and when I want a sweet I just fix a glass of it and mix with 5 oz. of cold water and it satisfies my sweet tooth:)  One day at a time:)

Thank you !! and I look forward to hearing all about your sucesses too :)