Liv

I HATE the CPAP machine!

When I got my CPAP machine last year July, that's when I decided I was going to have WLS. I hate this machine! I hate that I look like a mammoth with the mask on - doesn't it look like a trunk of a mammoth?!? I hate that I have not been able to sleep right through the night with it - I always pull the mask off in the middle of the night.

I am going to try to sleep with the machinr tonight, for the first time in months. For my health's sake and because I don't want to feel so tired during the day.

For me - sleep apnea and this awful CPAP is the worst part about being obese. I hate it :( And I hope and pray that the sleep apnea will disappear post weight loss.

I hate, f...ing hate sleep apnea!

Have you tried more than one kind of mask? sometimes it takes several before you find the one that fits correctly. I've had mine 3 years and after trying 3 different masks I found one I could live with. Like most things it takes some getting used to...

My husband has one with "nose pillows" and it does not cover his mouth - just nose pieces.

As to looking like a mammoth, I've always leaned more toward thinking of it as darth vadar.

Its not quite the fashion statement I go far, but the difference in how it makes me feel in the morning is worth it.

The nasal pillows worked the best for me but I still despise it.

Darth Vadar sucks...but its important to use it. Maybe someday Darth Vadar can go bye-bye!!!

I call it my piggie nose and I can't wait to put it away! I am going down ten percent a week with help from my dr and hope to be rid of it by April... Whoooo hoooo

I actually miss my CPAP...weird isn't it? I used the Swift FX for Her Nasal Pillow (http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-swift-fx-for-her-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask-headgear.html) and a Philips Respironics REMstar machine with a heated humidifier. I thought it was comfortable and I LOVED having my own fresh, filtered, clean, humidified air. I think I miss it in part because sometimes my kitty cat comes and lays by my pillow and now I notice her hair LOL.

I actually miss my CPAP...weird isn't it? I used the Swift FX for Her Nasal Pillow (http://www.cpap.com/...k-headgear.html) and a Philips Respironics REMstar machine with a heated humidifier. I thought it was comfortable and I LOVED having my own fresh, filtered, clean, humidified air. I think I miss it in part because sometimes my kitty cat comes and lays by my pillow and now I notice her hair LOL.

Thats the same one I used and I really didn't care for it.

Have you tried more than one kind of mask? sometimes it takes several before you find the one that fits correctly. I've had mine 3 years and after trying 3 different masks I found one I could live with. Like most things it takes some getting used to...

My husband has one with "nose pillows" and it does not cover his mouth - just nose pieces.

As to looking like a mammoth, I've always leaned more toward thinking of it as darth vadar.

Its not quite the fashion statement I go far, but the difference in how it makes me feel in the morning is worth it.

I got the nasal pillows today and it's definitely better than my previous mask! Thanks for telling me about it.

Thats the same one I used and I really didn't care for it.

I still don't like it, but it's WAY better than my previous mask. Way less claustrophobic and more comfortable. Tonight is the first night I'll be sleeping with it. I hope I can sleep all night and not end up pulling it off in the middle of the night, like I did with my previous mask.

I can't wait to be free of sleep apnea! Thanks for telling me about the nasal pillows.

Yes, I agree that the nasal pillows are better.......but still didn't love to wear it!

Yes, I agree that the nasal pillows are better.......but still didn't love to wear it!

You are so lucky to no longer have to wear it! I know lucky isn't the right word, but you know what I mean. It's AMAZING that you no longer have sleep apnea! I can't wait to be rid of mine.

I just got the CPAP machine this week. I've tried it for 2 days, with the nose pillow, and both  nights I have pulled it off at some point, without recalling when I did it. I think it's hard to breath out through nose, so I wake up feeling like I can't breath. I'll keep trying, and look forward tot he day when I wont need it, since I didn't snore when I was thinner I'm confident that I will not need it when I lose the weight.

I just got the CPAP machine this week. I've tried it for 2 days, with the nose pillow, and both  nights I have pulled it off at some point, without recalling when I did it. I think it's hard to breath out through nose, so I wake up feeling like I can't breath. I'll keep trying, and look forward tot he day when I wont need it, since I didn't snore when I was thinner I'm confident that I will not need it when I lose the weight.

I feel your pain Kim, I really do! Have you tried to set your humidifier higher? I'm really hoping I don't pull off the nasal pillows tonight, like I used to with my old mask. Good luck Kim - one of these days we will be able to throw away our CPAP machines! Yay! (Okay, we won't throw it away - we'll donate it somewhere.)

I'm a mouth breather when I sleep so they gave me a full face mask.  Every one I tried I hated and would pull it off during the middle of the night.  I switched to a ResMed "hybrid" mask that has the smaller mouth cover and nasal pillows about a year ago and it's so much better! I never pull my mask off now.

I use a full face mask, and have done so for 4 years.  I tried the nasal pillow thing but I have a bipap machine and the settings are pretty high, so all that did was make me feel like my head was going to explode.

Now I can honestly say I can't go to sleep without mine.  One thing I have noticed is that since my face has been losing weight, the mask fits differentlyl than it did  before....

Liv, on 01 Mar 2013 - 16:28, said:

You are so lucky to no longer have to wear it! I know lucky isn't the right word, but you know what I mean. It's AMAZING that you no longer have sleep apnea! I can't wait to be rid of mine.

Well, I actually still have it, but to a lesser degree. So I am not required to wear the mask but I have narcolepsy too so I am taking meds for that.

I feel so discouraged. I got the nasal pillows on Friday but I can't tolerate this either. I feel like I'm never going to sleep a full night with the CPAP machine. I just want a good night's rest, with no apneas. I don't know what to do anymore.

So sorry Liv. I know that it took me several months to adjust to it and I can never really say that I liked sleeping with it...although I did feel a bit more rested. Hopefully after WLS, you won't need it at all!

I feel so discouraged. I got the nasal pillows on Friday but I can't tolerate this either. I feel like I'm never going to sleep a full night with the CPAP machine. I just want a good night's rest, with no apneas. I don't know what to do anymore.

1 week later an i finally kept it on all night. sleep wasn't great, but it's a start! You'll get used to it. don't give up!

I love my CPAP, and I am sure will have a tough time when I can some off of it.

I hated mine too when I first got it in 2000. I wore that darn thing for 11 years!! I actually used to cry some nights I hated it so much! When I got to stop using it several months post WLS I felt completely lost and had a hard time falling asleep without it. You hopefully won't need it much longer but try to hang in there, it should get better for you.

I also love my cpap...did not have any idea how much real sleep I was missing....since June 2012 when I started it I feel so much more rested and energized. Even though I hope my sleep apnea will resolve after my surgery and weight loss I really don't know if I want to give it up...we'll see. hang in there...in the beginning it is cumbersome but remember it is a tool...just like the surgery..it's meant to help you restore your health...I take a very sm. amt. of a sleep aid every night & I sleep like a baby feeling so rested when I wake...keep trying to use this and if you continue to not adjust discuss this with your dr. or respiratory therapist where you get your supplies. they want to see you happy!

I did not last long with the nasal pillows either.  I breathe better through my mouth - it just seems like less effort, probably because I have bad allergies.  I switched to a full mask which was better, but still not good.  There must be something funky about the way my face is shaped because the seal breaks all the time.  If I adjust it so there is no leak at the bottom, I ended up with air blasting my eyeballs at the top when I turn my head even slightly.  I am thinking about getting one that has a bottom edge that sits under the chin - specifically the Fisher & Paykel Forma.  Supposedly, the seal is better on these.  Anyone have any real-life experience to share with this type of mask?

I started with the nose mask and had a hard time because the mask would "fart" and "whistle" as I slept, keeping me and my wife awake.  Switching to the nasal pillow worked well until after surgery.  When I got the cpap in the first place, it worked wonders, but I was also 70lbs more than I am.  Since the surgery, I have had to "hack" the machine to reduce the pressure.  I have gone from a 9 down to a 5.5.

Now, I have a hard time sleeping with it because my allergies are so bad my nose stays stuffed all night long.  

Remember though, if you die in the night from suffocation, all this work you have done will be for naught!

Happy sleeping!

Sadly, I am still struggling to sleep with the CPAP machine. My machine is an Auto PAP machine, so it adjusts the airpressure as needed, but I still end up pulling it off in the middle of the night - sometimes I feel like I can't breathe :-( I know it's a psychological thing. I read that 99% (something like that) of people can tolerate the machine. How unlucky that I'm one of the 1% :-(

Will keep trying. Will sleep with it tonight and see how long I can keep it on.

How ironic is this though - CPAP is supposed to HELP me breathe, but instead it makes me feel like I can't breathe :-(