Can tea stretch your pouch?? I read that on a reply somewhere today and it freaked me out. I drink black tea almost daily. I know I shouldnt have the caffine, but I have never heard of it stretching the pouch???

Don't know how that could happen, but.....never heard that before. Was told to avoid caffeine, though.

The caffeine issue aside, you can't stretch your pouch with tea.

As a Brit. I'm pretty passionate about my tea (with milk) and probably drink 2 to 3 x 20oz mugs a day. Typically, a cup of black tea will have 14-61mg of caffeine (generic brewed coffee = 95-200mg) so it's not a huge deal unless you're drinking nothing but tea.

And according to the Mayo Clinic

Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Thank you cinwa!! I have one 20oz tea 4-5 times a week. Thanks for putting my mind at ease !

I also drink tetley tea max 2 cups a day in winter 1 a day in summer. Bariatric nurse said no problem. But I still put 1/2 tsp of sugar couldn't get used to the taste of the artificial sweeteners. My NUT didn't have a prob with this either.

I was specifically told no to tea. I love it! I double checked my binder, it has to do with the teanines....sad but I will follow her rules.....

I was told no to coffee and tea. Her explanation had to do with xanthines. All these dctors and their different rules and ideas! :P

cinwa, I love taking my tea white! One of my kiwi friends made some tea for me, and automatically made it white, and his wife scolded him that I was American. He looked over at me and said, you take your tea white, yeah? I said, of course. Now I love, love, love my Earl Grey taken white (with unsweetened almond milk and a packet of stevia).

I have my first consult with the surgeon on Monday, so I'll have to ask her...

My NUT said nothing with caffeine ever again - also.. no drinks period with any calories - not milk... not juice.. nada. 0 calorie drinks.. She said the only calories I would be allowed come from solid food alone. so I'm stealing Cinwa's Mayo Clinic quote. I love tea.

Though I've not gone to their final class yet - it makes me wonder. Does that mean protein shakes wouldn't be allowed?

I was told no caffeine also and for the first year out I was religious about it. Frankly, it is better on your energy level to not become caffeine dependent-which makes you go up and down.

However, the past year, I have indulged on coffee and tea and always with skim milk and sugar. I count the milk for protein intake-I like my drinks very light with lots of milk.

If you do drink them, I think you must be sure to not drink coffee or tea right after a meal along with everyone else. If I do order it at a restaurant we must be sitting and talking for at least a half hour or more past the end of the meal and I have gotten it to go or stopped on the way home for it.

If your program says no caffeine then I would follow it. The year and a half I went to a nutritionist ten years before Gastric Bypass surgery, she did not allow me to have any caffeine. I think it was so I was drinking water instead and so that I did not have the highs and lows that might affect my appetite!

Now I start with green tea and drink a cup of coffee before I run. They feel like treats to me. But I am over three years out now.

I do think the first year out, you should be very cautious and disciplined.

I also drink tetley tea max 2 cups a day in winter 1 a day in summer. Bariatric nurse said no problem. But I still put 1/2 tsp of sugar couldn't get used to the taste of the artificial sweeteners. My NUT didn't have a prob with this either.

Just a thought...I loathe artificial sweeteners as well but I have found that Truvia is nice and tastes like sugar and goes well in my tea at home. You might want to try it-it won't poison you like the artificial sweeteners and has no after taste.

When I went into my Pre-Op appointment....I was told it is pretty hard to stretch the pouch. The nurse I spoke with also had the sleeve done and told me that the part of the stomach that is removed is the part that actually stretches. She said that a very small part of the stretchy part is actually still there. Then she said that your stomach is somewhere between 15-20% in capacity compared to the original capacity after surgery...therefore, even if it stretched twice the size then it will be somewhere between 30-40% from it's original size.

I wouldn't obsess about that. The thing that makes everyone gain the weight back is eating the wrong amount of foods...fried, sugar filled, snacking and high in calories.

Hope we all can ease your mind based on what information we all can provide.

I was specifically told no to tea. I love it! I double checked my binder, it has to do with the teanines....sad but I will follow her rules.....

What are "teanines"?

All I can find is that: Plural form of teanina. Maybe she was referring to theanine "amino acid commonly found in tea".

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18296328

L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state.

Nobre AC, Rao A, Owen GN.

Source

Unilever Food and Health Research Institute, Olivier van Noortlaan 120, Postbus 114, 3130 AC Vlaardingen, The Netherlands.

Abstract

Tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world after water. Tea is known to be a rich source of flavonoid antioxidants. However tea also contains a unique amino acid, L-theanine that may modulate aspects of brain function in humans. Evidence from human electroencephalograph (EEG) studies show that it has a direct effect on the brain (Juneja et al. Trends in Food Science & Tech 1999;10;199-204). L-theanine significantly increases activity in the alpha frequency band which indicates that it relaxes the mind without inducing drowsiness. However, this effect has only been established at higher doses than that typically found in a cup of black tea (approximately 20mg). The aim of the current research was to establish this effect at more realistic dietary levels. EEG was measured in healthy, young participants at baseline and 45, 60, 75, 90 and 105 minutes after ingestion of 50mg L-theanine (n=16) or placebo (n=19). Participants were resting with their eyes closed during EEG recording. There was a greater increase in alpha activity across time in the L-theanine condition (relative to placebo (p+0.05). A second study replicated this effect in participants engaged in passive activity. These data indicate that L-theanine, at realistic dietary levels, has a significant effect on the general state of mental alertness or arousal. Furthermore, alpha activity is known to play an important role in critical aspects of attention, and further research is therefore focussed on understanding the effect of L-theanine on attentional processes.

PMID: 18296328 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

And these make for interesting reading too but in honesty, I can't see what the issue is - theanine has many benefits - provided you're not drinking exclusively:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/greentea/a/Theanine.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

http://ratetea.com/topic/l-theanine-and-tea/33/

I have been having trouble getting in my 64 oz of 0 calorie fluids this past month, I am finding hot tea with truvia and a splash of skim milk is really helping me meet my goals. It's not all I drink by any means, but a couple of 12 oz mugs during the day really goes a long way to keep me hydrated. The tea also chills my tummy during the mid afternoon when everyone in the office is snacking and my head-hunger kicks in.

I am a tea drinker also, can't stand coffee, even the smell. That said, I still drink tea, thank you bugdocmom for turning me on to Oregon sugar free Chai latte, but since tea is a diuretic we should make sure that we are drinking lots of other fluids to balance it out. I went without tea for a couple of months, that was enough.... :P Fluids will not stretch your pouch.

What are "teanines"?

All I can find is that: Plural form of teanina. Maybe she was referring to theanine "amino acid commonly found in tea".

I assumed she was referring to tannins. They are responsible for the bitter taste in tea and wine. Tannins bind with iron so we should not take our iron supplements with tea. They can also interfere with the absorption of other vitamins and minerals to a lesser extent. I cannot imagine, however, where someone would get the idea that tea (or tannins) would cause stretching of the pouch. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding as to why to avoid tea.

I am a tea drinker also, can't stand coffee, even the smell. That said, I still drink tea, thank you bugdocmom for turning me on to Oregon sugar free Chai latte, but since tea is a diuretic we should make sure that we are drinking lots of other fluids to balance it out. I went without tea for a couple of months, that was enough.... :P Fluids will not stretch your pouch.

Glad you like it!

My surgeon does not prohibit caffeine. In fact, I have actually been prescribed a couple of caffeinated beverages a day by both my bariatric surgeon and my PCP to help keep my blood pressure up. Hence my love affair with Starbucks... guilt free;) I usually have a sf latte in the morning and a couple of cups of tea in the afternoon.

My NUT said tea and coffee is fine but recommends decaf the first year.

I assumed she was referring to tannins. They are responsible for the bitter taste in tea and wine. Tannins bind with iron so we should not take our iron supplements with tea. They can also interfere with the absorption of other vitamins and minerals to a lesser extent. I cannot imagine, however, where someone would get the idea that tea (or tannins) would cause stretching of the pouch. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding as to why to avoid tea.

Tannins (polyphenols) - (not to be confused with tannic acid) can interfere with non-heme iron absorption - same with dairy, oregano, tea, coffee, cereals made with corn, rice, oats and wheat bran and chocolate and grapes. And so can soy products such as soybeans and tofu.

But for meat eaters and/or those who limit their tea consumption, that shouldn't be a problem.

I stop drinking all tea and coffee by noon. I take my carbonyl iron/vitamin C at bedtime.

Just a thought...I loathe artificial sweeteners as well but I have found that Truvia is nice and tastes like sugar and goes well in my tea at home. You might want to try it-it won't poison you like the artificial sweeteners and has no after taste.

Truvia is the only artificial sweetner that doesn't give me a migraine and the taste is pretty close to sugar.

AprilWine (Toonces, LOL), I agree, Tea sits well with my pouch early in the morning and I can not eat anything for the first few hours but I do need that warmth to slowly get my pouch to agree to eating!

And I have switched off sugar at home and onto Truvia cause it is great!

Thanks for all the great info everyone !! That's why I love TT! Glad I don't have to give up my tea!

Sorry for bumping an old feed, but I was wondering if anything changed in regard to having caffeine since 2013? The biggest reason my doc said to avoid it was because it can irritate your new stomach wall. I feel like this far out it is pretty healed as long as I don't notice any issues with sipping a tea of course. Never really took to the decaf options...

I drink caffeinated tea all day every day. No problems.

39 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I drink caffeinated tea all day every day. No problems.

Same here. Multiple cups of green tea daily.....and I mean multiple!!!!