Dr Gorospe in Oklahoma

Sassy_Nurse

Hello Fellow Pre-Surgery Peeps,

My heart weigh's heavy today and I feel that I have to share this with you. I just have to take a moment and let you know that NO MATTER WHAT, do not choose Dr Gorospe. He was not my surgeon, but as a nurse I have seen too many things and I promise you, I will save your life if you follow this advice. I can't say any more details than that, just please make wise choices and research who you choose.

• 2 months later...

I have to admit, this post interests me.

From my own research, I am not aware that his death rate is any higher than other surgeons.

He has performed the bypass on two of my aunts, two cousins, my ex-wife, and at least 10 other people who I am aquintances with in some fashion, as well as 5 co-workers.

Not once have I heard a negative thing spoken about him. In fact, they all sing his praises.

I am sure you have a reason to say what you did, which is what peaked my interest.

Edited by jwake_98

• 2 months later...

I also know a couple of his patients, but since I first considered this surgery in 2004, I think he has been at 8 or 9 different hospitals.  Just something to consider.  I was told that "hospitals he was in just weren't up to his standards".  One of his patients I know had considerable complications, but has kept the weight off. 

T

• 7 months later...

Sassy-Nurse,

God bless you for speaking up. Dr. Gorospe operated on me and I am so fortunate to be alive. I have not said much since my surgery but lately I have been more open. I know people he has operated on just like me and have experienced other horror stories. A close friend was just operated on for a mass and they found a clamp that he left in her. My story alone is almost unbelievable, unless you lived it you just wouldn't believe it. I will tell you this.....if after your surgery you have to be readmitted to the hospital the odds are you will not be admitted by the bypass surgeon, you will be admitted by an ER physician, if you die you aren't included in his death stats. When I was readmitted the nurse told me this when I asked why DR G wasn't coming and why an ER dr was admitting me. ER physician confirmed this at the time. Oklahoma law protects the doctor and I cringe when I see a billboard and his new commercials. He has been at four different hospitals since I first contacted his office. I am ashamed to say he was my surgeon.

If you check public records you will see he settled with some malpractice cases on Dec. 16th, 2013 and filed for bankruptcy protection that same day. He doesn't have to pay anyone. His seminars are a dog and pony show and I foolishly fell for his act. I was a fool and saved by a physician that I can't thank God enough for putting in my life.

I haven't been on this message board in about a year and wanted to see if anyone was talking about him. If you care about living and waking up from the surgery DO NOT GO to Dr. Gorospe for your surgery. There is a reason Blue Cross & Blue Shield canceled their contract with him.

complicationsurvivor

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry to read this, but glad you are speaking out.  I sometimes wonder if people picketed outside some of these seminars if it would change.  I wish it would do some good, but I don't think so.  My original surgeon was Dr. Floyd in Edmond.  He is still in business, but no longer doing bariatrics.  There is some other group doing bariatrics in Edmond, OK now.

I've been fortunate that, although I never lost all I wanted, I stayed well.  I found out last year I was nutritionally deficit in many nutrients.  I didn't know all that was needed.  In this field, there is new information learned with every surgery.  If you stay in a support group, I think we all have a good chance of keeping on top of our health.

I'm going through Bailey Bariatrics in Owasso now and am having a revision soon.  I'm looking forward to reaching my goals.  I'm also glad to have made some good friends at the support groups that they hold monthly.  It's been good for me.  I thought I wouldn't get my revision at all, but now thanks to the surgeon's nurse, she stuck with me and helped me when my navigator dropped me.  It really helped me to feel like I matter.

Hang in there and I hope you have found a support group.  If not, I would like to suggest Bailey's.  They have several groups:  Owasso, Pryor, Joplin, and 4 or 5 others.  Good luck!!

T

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
On 7/23/2015 at 4:27 PM, complicationsurvivor said:

Do not. I repeat. Do not use Dr Luis Gorospe for your surgery.

On 7/23/2015 at 4:27 PM, complicationsurvivor said:

Do not. I repeat. Do not use Dr Luis Gorospe for your surgery.

id like to speak with u about gorospe he did surgery on my husband. plz contact me at kaclocc111@gmail.com or 918-814-8009