loriann

NEWBIE...

Hi

I am new to all this. But I have been working through the WLS process for the last several months. I have comleted everything my insurance requires. Just did my last dietary counseling session and have already lost 11 pounds...My banding is scheduled for March 14. (I have a cruise my surgeon wants me to get back from before we proceed with my preparations, etc). I am worried about the liquid diet part. I am researching protein powders. I cant stand the taste of the ones I have tried so far. What is everyone else using? i have been gathering smoothie and shake recipes.

I am excited and worried at the same time. (My aunt had her bypass done at the age of 70 and is a huge support for me.)

Just wanted to say Hi and come out of the woodwork.

Welcome! :) Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I was banded on Nov. 16th, and it's the best decision I've ever made for myself. I was on a liquid pre-op diet for a week (Dr. Atkin Shakes, broth, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, water). I'm not gonna lie...the first few days were rough, but then my body adjusted and I did great. Just do what your Dr. says, and follow the plan to the letter, and you'll do great! :)

You can go to some sites and get protein powder samples. I believe BugDocMom is the person who originally posted that. The one I went to was

www.nashuanutrition.com and she posted that way back. They sell single serving amounts of all kinds of protein powder. It is such a personal thing it is hard to recommend one brand over another. I prefer Syntrax Matrix and Nectar personally. Chike is also good but higher in calories. If you purchase at GNC you can return anything you dont like.

Good luck!

Thanks

I am trying to find all information so that I am prepared. The WLS clinic staff here is wonderful. I have pagers and phone numbers for questions...They are very supportive and I am sure of my decision. I like the information and support available on this forum too. It is really helpful.

Thanks

I am trying to find all information so that I am prepared. The WLS clinic staff here is wonderful. I have pagers and phone numbers for questions...They are very supportive and I am sure of my decision. I like the information and support available on this forum too. It is really helpful.

WELCOME!! I use the 100% Whey Protein powder from Costco and their premiere protein shakes in chocolate. I find them to be the best tasting pre-made shakes. I got banded on 9/4/12. I didn't have a pre-op diet though. It has definitely been the best thing I have EVER done for myself. I feel great! My only advice is to follow the rules and be committed to work with the band. It isn't a totally easy journey but it has been a heck of a lot easier and WAY more successful than anything I have done to lose weight in the past.