SaraRP

Mixed emotions about trying to get a baby on board....

My husband and I ,with the blessing of my bariatric surgeon have decided to start trying for a baby. I am beyond excited. I'm also nervous. I have lost 116lbs to date and feel absolutely amazing. However, I still weigh 264 pounds. I worry that what I have done isn't enough. I'm just short of 1 year out and still lose little by little. I guess I'm just worried about being healthy for the baby. Any input would be greatly welcomed!weight.png

Wishing you both good luck!

In my honest opinion, I would try get to the lowest that you can first. I was pregnant with my son at 270 and it was HARD. Thankfully I had no complications other than needing a c-section. I know you have lost a lot of weight and congratulations on that! There are a lot of women to have babies without having met their goal and they have difficulties achieving it afterwards. So, the closer you are to your goal the better...but its just my opinion.

I wish you the very best of luck, whatever your choice and again, congratulations on your success!

You are still so young. Why not wait until you are at a healthy weight.? I was around 230 or so for my pregnancies (pre-op) and they weren't fun. You are still morbidly obese and there could be risks to yourself and your baby at that weight. Good luck with your decision.

In my experience I'd say get to your goal and learn to maintain. Then have your baby. It is hard to focus on yourself once you have that bundle of joy. You'll want to have your health in order. Losing after pregnancy can be hard since you now have a little one. I had my son After WLS.

If it were my choice, I would also get to a healthy weight and maintain for at least 6 months afterwards before getting pregnant. I wish you the best of luck and a healthy, happy family whatever choice you make.

I agree, is there some reason to rush?? You should lose as much as possible before you get preggo....Losing weight post pregnancy is much harder adn if you have a c-section, like I have and will have, the recovery is slightly more lengthy, GOOD LUCK no matter what you choose...I was preggo with my 2nd at 285lbs and it was horrible!! :)

You are still so young. Why not wait until you are at a healthy weight.? I was around 230 or so for my pregnancies (pre-op) and they weren't fun.

I agree with Hollyann (and Jen) in what she says above. My first thought was "you're still so young - why not wait?" Aside from more risks when being obese and pregnant, I'm imagining the discomfort. You know us obese people often feel hotter than normal-weight people. Now the thing is - pregnant women are apparently 2 degrees warmer than non-pregnant women. So imagine being obese and pregnant. I can only imagine that the normal pregnancy discomforts are intensified for an obese woman. Still, that's only speculation on my part. I think you should take to heart the advice of the women here who have had babies while obese and can share their experiences with you. (Btw - I am in no way saying an obese woman should wait until she is slim. I get that many obese women have babies. But I do think if you have a choice, and you are young like you are, and already losing weight anyway, that it might be more prudent to wait. Just my humble opinion :-)

Edited by Liv

So... I don't think that it's fair to say "you're so young, so wait" so that's not what I'm going to say.  I know what it's like to want a baby, and if you can afford one, and want one... I don't really feel like age is the problem.

That being said, we have almost the same surgery date (mine was 23 Jan '12), and my surgeon told me to wait until 18 months to try because at that point, everything will be completely healed and the absorption is better for the nutritional stuff.  Maybe your surgeon has differing views, but the journals are currently recommending 12-18 months after surgery.  If something ruptures while pregnant due to the stretching, it's not good for anybody involved!!

Also, getting closer to goal would be better... but also I think we should keep in mind, that if you're still losing currently, chances are that you may continue to lose for (at least) part of the pregnancy.  From experience, I can tell you that being heavy when pregnant is really not fun at all.

Best of luck!

I would wait. I had my second pregnancy at 275 and although I had no major compilcations, I did end up in a c section. And being heavy and recovering from a c section is awful. Also you would still be considered a high risk pregnancy, not because of WLS surgery but because of your weight. You have done an amazing job losing what you have. Its a personal decision and I hope you do whats best for you and your husband but also do whats best for your future child. Only you know in your heart whats right.

I too want another baby ( had two pre op). I know that as long as I am still considered obese, that it wont be a healthy pregnancy. Its not fair to my future child to put their life/health at risk because I didnt want to wait a little longer. That is no way to bring a new life into the world in my opinion.

On another note, I feel you should still be enjoying your weight loss for now because when baby comes you wont have much "you" time.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Just Curious,

What did you and your Hubby decide was best for you all?

any update? how is it going with you, your weight, your husband and the baby plans? Wishing you the best!