Sign in to follow this  
tlbr8408

Help

Ok I'm 2 weeks post op and my dietician advanced me to soft foods... I feel like I can eat more than I should be able to and I haven't had any dumping syndrome... Due to odd circumstances I even ate 3 chicken strips chewed really well... Over the course of 2 hours I feel regret for eating that but I had no negative side effects. I almost feel like I didn't even have the surgery. I'm a little frustrated because I feel like I shouldn't be able to eat that stuff and now I'm going to be tempted to eat like that again... Anyone else experience this?

I feel that way now, but I'm a little over 2 years postop. I can eat anything and everything...and in any quantity...without ill effect. I keep waiting for a letter to arrive from my surgeon explaining that he didn't actually perform the surgery, only cut me open and then sewed me shut. This surgery has done nothing for me in terms of limiting how much or what I can eat, which I thought it would. It has been my own effort (keeping a food journal, weighing/measuring my food) and hard work (exercise) that has gotten me to where I am today. I fight for my current weight every single day.

During my active weight loss phase (the first 6-9 months), I followed my dietitian's handouts in terms of food choices and how much to eat. I had tunnel vision back then, and I suggest you find it, too. It is the only suggestion I have for you right now. Believe me, you won't get another chance like you have right now to lose your excess weight. You must find a way to push aside your "head's" desires and do what you need to do to learn a healthy way of eating and living. I don't know if anyone has ever truly professed that this way of being is "easy," but I know they profess that it is worth it. Also, remember, soft foods are sometimes considered slider foods, so they may pass right through your pouch, leaving you feeling like you are still hungry. Stick with your measured amounts of food, follow your surgeon's rules with regard to when you can resume drinking, and keep hydrated with fluids. It's more of a mind game at the beginning, but you can get past it. This part of the journey is about retraining your brain. Believe me, I can eat a lot, but I choose not to. I have to tell myself I'm done eating. My brain doesn't like it, but, much to it's surprise, I'm still alive and doing just fine.

Read the handouts your dietitian / surgeon gave you and follow them exactly, keep a food journal, drink plenty of water, take your vitamins and supplements, and make positive choices with regard to exercise. This journey will expose all of your weaknesses, but just know those are merely opportunities for growth. You can do it, but you have to want it more than anything else. You're stronger than you know.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you so much for your response! Very helpful and I will definitely start a food journal thanks so much and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Tlbr, I feel exactly as you wrote. My surgery was two weeks ago. The couple of times I have cheated have largely been without any consequences. I have wished for some negative reinforcement! I did have a small piece of pork loin a few days ago that got "stuck." My own fault for not chewing it well enough...and for doing it at all. It was very uncomfortable. I tried the meat tenderizer trick I've read about, which worked beautifully. I am taking Martee's good advice to heart.