Sign in to follow this  
Emband

Hi all

I've decided on the band and I've already had a consultation with the bariatric nurse I felt she was very negative about me having the band but I am very determined, I meet the surgeon on the 8th and I am nervous/ excited I have about 100lbs to lose so I really hope I am making the right choice was just hoping for some replies with positive results with the band xx

Hi there. Welcome to TT. I had my eye on the band at first and hadn't even considered bypass s on option, but my primary care doc suggested bypass would be a better option for me. Once I began researching it, I realized she was right and bypass was the BEST fit for my goals. My consultation with my bariatric surgeon confirmed that and my bypass experience has been amazing. Many, many people have been successful with the band, so please don't misunderstand me. But if the bariatric nurse, who has a lot of experience with patients having several different types of weight loss surgeries, has suggested one of the other surgeries would benefit you more, I would perhaps look into other options and discuss them with your bariatric surgeon. WLS is a major life changing experience requiring incredible commitment. You definitely want to choose the one that will work best for you and your needs. No matter which you chose, though, you will find plenty of support and encouragement and tons of info here on TT. Congrats on taking the first steps toward a healthier life!

Thank you for your response and a massive congratulations to your weight lost, I did have my mind set on the band but now I am rethinking, as I said I am seeing the surgeon on the 8th I have done a lot of research in all WLS the problem with a bypass for me is I have had a previous surgery where i had 10 inches of my small bowel removed so I don't know if this could be an option for me, I will just have to see what the surgeon recommends and not rush into anything too quickly as this is for life!

Welcome aboard, and may I say congratulations on whatever you choose as a WLS. It is ultimately up to you, but I would definately take into consideration what the surgeon recommends. They have done this for quite some time and see what works for people, what doesn't, and which ones usually comeback to have the sleeve or gastric bypass done. I only had a total of 100 lbs and the surgeon was right there with me in my decision to have bypass. I was not a candidate for the band as I: have an autoimmune disorder which could cause me to flare since the band is a foreign object in the body. Whatever you decide, make sure you are ok with it, and have done your research, and have decided on it with your surgeon. We are all here for you at TT, and look forward to hearing about your success and progress. We are all here to help you out in whatever questions you have.

I keep switching back and forth between the band and a bypass! I've done so much research on both and I just don't know!!! Ahhh. I was determined I wanted the band but now I am thinking the best option for me is a bypass! I know I need to wait until I see my surgeon it's just very confusing! Xxx

I'm choosing to have the bypass done because it simply shows a higher rate of success with it. The way I see it is that I have worked so hard to come this far, and if I'm having major surgery just to lose weight I want to go with whatever is the most likely to get me exactly where I want to be. Also, I would check into your insurance..some will only cover one weight loss surgery per lifetime..Which could be bad for someone choosing to go with lap band since there have been a ton of people that needed it revised to sleeve or rny. I was completely turned off by the band..it just isn't right for me. However, my pcp had a son who had lapband, and he is very happy with it. My pcp was kind of confused on why I didn't want the band, since he's seen it do wonders with his son's health. But, it ultimately comes down to your gut feeling I believe! I didn't even really consider sleeve too much because my gut feeling just keeps shouting bypass at me, so why choose different? Go with whatever feels right for you! Good luck :)

Yes I've also decided on a bypass I'm just concerned I won't be able to have it as 2 years ago I had a small bowel resection where they took away 10 inches of my small bowel so this might prevent me from having it! Lol and I just want to know now as I'm getting excited but don't see my surgeon for 2 weeks! Xx

Have you tried doing some more research on google? That may come up with something..Idk..I don't really see why it would affect you being able to have rny. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

I have researched google so much and can't find anything! I will just have to wait till I see my surgeon! Fingers and toesssss crossed for me xxxx

Well now it's time for a band patient to weigh in....I had my band done in Sept. BEST THING I HAVE VER DONE!!! I am beyond happy with my decision. I too went back and forth between bypass and band but I couldn't do the longer recovery time with work and two small kids. I was back to work and feeling pretty good within 6 days of surgery. I was one of the lucky ones to feel "restriction" immediately after surgery because my surgeon put 5cc in at surgery. The first few months of banded life can be extremely difficult without the "restriction". I am also on the lapbandtalk forum and have met lost of people who have lost and kept off well over 100 pounds.

Do what YOU AND YOUR SURGEON feel is the best for you and your lifestyle!! Just know that all of the WLS require a commitment to better health and exercise for long term success. Good Luck!!