Sign in to follow this  
Aya

Constant runny nose?

So basically my nose runs ALL the time now. I know some people get this when they hit their full point while eating, but what about all the time whether eating or not?

Example - I was in a meeting today and my nose started pouring clear liquid. It was so fast I thought my nose was bleeding....is this normal?

I am 18 months out and yes, I too have this issue. It is something neurological I have learned. My nose runs all the time. It runs more when I eat a little too much and it runs horribly if I eat too carby. No one has really answered why though. I just make sure I always have tissues.

I read about this in another thread and no one told that poster that it was normal. When it started to happen to me I thought I had developed allergies . Glad to know I am not the only one

Wow...here I've been thinking I'm on the verge of a cold for a couple of months now. I thought it was odd that it wasn't ever coming to a head. It is very annoying, but I'll take it as long as the pounds are still coming off.

And, yes Wendy, definitely need to have tissues at all times. I added the little purse tissue packs to my permanent grocery list!

The runny nose and sneezing are often "full" signals in post bypass folks (I get the runny nose when I am getting full). It is a real condition called gustatory rhinitis, which basically means you get a runny nose when you eat. The condition shows up more often in bypassers as a result of damage to the vagus nerve during the RNY procedure. Some folks even get the constant runny nose post op. While it's not COMMON, it's not unheard of. I am not sure if you can expect the runny nose to ease up as the nerve heals or if there are treatments that can help with the symptoms. This would be a great question for "ask Dr. Callery."

I have the same problem and I always thought it was the salt?

I've had a bit of a drippy nose since surgery. Not when I eat or anything just anytime I lean forward for more than a few seconds - annoying!

The salt?

I posted in Dr. Callery's forum, so maybe he can shed some more light on this topic :)

Oh my gosh!! I had no idea this was a "gastric bypass phenomenon". I thought it was just me and taht my allergies got worse or something. I was jsut saying to my husband the other day that my nose always seems to be runny and I always make sure I have packs of tissues in my purse. I take Zyrtec for allergies and we got a second kitty (we always have had 2 cats, btw) so I figured it was kitten dander issues or something.

This topic is so interesting to me and yes, I have had this runny nose thing sinse surgery too. Sometimes it is nothing and sometimes it just randomly runs.

You learn something new everyday here on this forum.

Who knew?!?!

Again, being chilly and having a slightly runny nose is a small price to pay for being smaller and for getting rid of diabetes!

Thanks for posting this!!

I am 11 months out of the gastric sleeve and my nose constantly runs it drives me nuts and it runs whether I'm eating or not all day long never stops and I have a septum ring which is a pain in the booty I don't know if this will ever stop or what it's really from because I had the sleeve surgery I never had a runny nose prior to this only when I was sick. Lisa

I too have a runny nose, I’m forever wiping and blowing. It just flows out it’s like a running tap. If you ask me it’s seems to be a funny side effect after having a gastric bypass. It’s really weird 

Welcome Buttons123!

I had my WLS back in 2007 and still get a runny nose - especially if I eat a little too much at one sitting.

Mine was a sleeve, and I have it, but only out of my left nostril lol