isuche02

Are you back from surgery?

I know we have had several people on here who said thier surgery was in the beginning of Nov, any one back from surgery yet?

How are you doing?

What was your experience like?

Good question. I always worry that something bad has happened and that's why people don't check in. :o We're due for surgery around the same time, let's make sure we at least say if it went well! ;)

Wondering that myself!!!

I had surgery on Monday. Feeling pretty good today. took me a couple days to get rid of the gas pains but now that that has passed I am good. I do feel hungry though... I was under the impression i wouldn't. Weird.

I had my surgery on 11/5. The past week or so I have been trying to rest as much I could. Everything went well for me and the day of surgery I found I had lost 11 lbs, thanks to my liquid diet. This whole experience has been a mix of trial and error. My biggest challange is trying to tolerate my protein and I am on a liquid diet now so it makes it complicated trying to sneak it in. The last time I tried to drink it I got nauseated It took me some time getting used to with drinking eventhough I was taking sips as instructed. My mouth was really dry post surgery and I got a terrible sore throat from the tube inserted in my throat during surgery. I found if I drank too much , I got this burpy feeling. The gas thing has been interesting but glad to be over that. Fast forward to today, I just had my one week fu with my surgeon and I am now 20 lbs lighter since I had surgery. I had my staples removed too which I am so thankful for. I was so scared that I would move in the wrong way and mess something up. My doc actually told me I could try some tilapia in 2 weeks which made me very happy. so I am going to class tonight since I finally feel up to doing something. :)

I just wish I felt hungrier but for me I am mostly thirsty and I have only felt hungry one day this week.

I had my RNY on Monday and it went well according the surgeon. I was nauseous when I came to after surgery but putting some zofran in my iv straightened that right out. I was very dopey for the entire day of my surgery. I kept my pain button handy and used it whenever it lit up (I could dose myself every 10 minutes). I had trouble with sleep the first night b/c I would stop breathing when I would start to fall alseep so the pulse/ox meter would start beeping an alarm. I don't have sleep apnea, so all I can figure is that it was a side effect of the morphine. It finally got better in the early morning hours and I got a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep. I took 3 short walks that first day, each time I was more sure on my feet. Gas pains were the only real pains I was feeling.

The day after surgery went fine, too. They took me off of the pain pump around mid-day and I was switched to oral oxycodone. Everything was going well and they decided I could go home if I wanted to at around 3:30. I didn't get checked out until 6:30. I had them give me a boost of zofran right before they took the iv out since I knew that the drive home was likely to make me feel sick.

I was exhausted when I got home and I think I went to bed right away, but frankly, I was really out of it. I slept fitfully and then was up b/t 2 and 4 am. But my drinking has gone well. Wedneday I was on 2 tabs of oxycodone every 4 hours; today I was able to cut that in half. I managed to have BM this evening w/ the use of a dulcolax suppository. I have some episodic gas pains from time to time. I had some nausea but that is easily handled with zofan (I have phenergan, too, but it knocks me out!).

So all said, so far, so good! Good luck to everyone!!

Thanks for sharing your stories. I am so glad to hear everyone's surgery went well!

Although, I am sorry to hear you are still feeling hungry. I was under the impression you are not supposed to feel hungry afterwards too. If I am still hungry after the surgery I will be disappointed.

Mine was the 7th. I had a ton of pain in the center of my abdomen from my liver being manipulated (so much that I didn't notice insicion pain until after I got out of the hospital). Being flat on my back also gave me extreme pain in my tailbone area. So between my front and my back I had so much pain I couldn't do the required deep breathing and I was kept in hospital an extra day because I was on the road to pneumonia. My nurse convinced my surgeon to double my oral pain medicine and I stayed awake all that night doing deep breathing and walking so I could leave (which I did). Since I was out of town I spent the following week in a hotel and did a lot of walking (aquariums and theme parks). A week after my surgery date was my post-op and everything was fine. I am still taking my prescribed pain medicine but I hope I can stop soon because I can't drive until I do. ;)

Thanks for sharing your stories. I am so glad to hear everyone's surgery went well!Although, I am sorry to hear you are still feeling hungry. I was under the impression you are not supposed to feel hungry afterwards too. If I am still hungry after the surgery I will be disappointed.
oh no it's quite the opposite. I am not hungry but I am very thirsty for things like water. I guess that is good? I found afterward I could not tolerate even sweet n low , the nurses brought me a small amount of tea to drink and I it was nauseating. I have barely started to feel minimal hungriness and even then I can only eat a tiny bit at a time. :) I am in my puree/soft food phase. Honestly you probably won't feel hungry ( I didn't until now). I was just worried that I since I didn't feel hungry I was going to get sick but my doc assured me that it was normal. I was just being paranoid lol Edited by dtmom76

Well, I had my surgery Tuesday and everything went well. 4 hrs after surgery I was up doing laps. I walked about 15 minutes my first walk. By the second walk, I was up to 30minutes. Not much pain at all. I don't think that is typical though. The nurses made some comments about how well I was doing comparatively to other people.

I am defintely not hungry though. I am glad they had the IV for fluids. The first day post op I barely could drink anything. I was so full. Today is the second day post op and I am at home and doing a little better getting some water down. I definitely don't feel like drinking anything. I have stopped taking pain medicine and I am OK with that. I am going to try to walk a little bit further today. My dr's goal is to get to 2 miles or 1 hr of walking.

I believe walking really helped with the gas. After about 10 minutes or so of walking the gas would start working its way out. I didn't end up having gas pains while laying down at all but any time I start to felt pressure I was up and walking again and it made me feel better. My dr told me walking is the key to a quick recovery. I definitely set out with that in mind and so far it seems to be working.

I enjoyed my time in the hospital. It was so quiet, I could sleep when I wanted to, walk when I wanted to, watch what I wanted to on t.v. Vastly different than my life at home with 5 kids. My husband stayed home with the kids and only came to pick me up. I enjoyed the me time. I haven't had any in years. I was such an independent person before kids and I forgot how nice it was to be able to do anything by myself. Now a days I am lucky if I can take a shower without someone barging into the bathroom.

I know I have a long ways to go but I am very glad I did it so far. I hope things continue to go OK. I consider myself very lucky at this point.

Jennie:

So Glad to hear everything went ok:) I know what you mean about me time. The days I spent at home recovering were nice, everyone was in school or work so I got the house all to myself except when My mom came to help out for the first few days. Kudos on getting up and walking too! that's awesome.

Well, I had my surgery Tuesday and everything went well. 4 hrs after surgery I was up doing laps. I walked about 15 minutes my first walk. By the second walk, I was up to 30minutes. Not much pain at all. I don't think that is typical though. The nurses made some comments about how well I was doing comparatively to other people.

I am defintely not hungry though. I am glad they had the IV for fluids. The first day post op I barely could drink anything. I was so full. Today is the second day post op and I am at home and doing a little better getting some water down. I definitely don't feel like drinking anything. I have stopped taking pain medicine and I am OK with that. I am going to try to walk a little bit further today. My dr's goal is to get to 2 miles or 1 hr of walking.

I believe walking really helped with the gas. After about 10 minutes or so of walking the gas would start working its way out. I didn't end up having gas pains while laying down at all but any time I start to felt pressure I was up and walking again and it made me feel better. My dr told me walking is the key to a quick recovery. I definitely set out with that in mind and so far it seems to be working.

I enjoyed my time in the hospital. It was so quiet, I could sleep when I wanted to, walk when I wanted to, watch what I wanted to on t.v. Vastly different than my life at home with 5 kids. My husband stayed home with the kids and only came to pick me up. I enjoyed the me time. I haven't had any in years. I was such an independent person before kids and I forgot how nice it was to be able to do anything by myself. Now a days I am lucky if I can take a shower without someone barging into the bathroom.

I know I have a long ways to go but I am very glad I did it so far. I hope things continue to go OK. I consider myself very lucky at this point.

I had my surgery on the 20th. I was up and walking that first day as well. The nurses and doctor said I was doing very well, much better than the average person. I found that quite encouraging. However, now that I'm home I can't seem to get the amount of water I'm supposed to have. I'm finding that to be a big struggle.

I had my surgery on the 20th. I was up and walking that first day as well. The nurses and doctor said I was doing very well, much better than the average person. I found that quite encouraging. However, now that I'm home I can't seem to get the amount of water I'm supposed to have. I'm finding that to be a big struggle.

I am just now getting back up to where I can drink all my water but I am still not getting in my milk. I don't like milk at all now and milk is my primary diet I have been put on post op.

When I went to my post op check up on Monday, I had lost 12 lbs since the day of the surgery and I was getting 5 of 6 glasses of water and 1 (or 2) milks of 3 per day. The dietician told me it would get easier and to keep working on getting it all in. She also suggested drinking while walking because it will go down easier.

Did anyone else have a JP drain after surgery? I had mine removed on Monday too but I haven't heard much about this on the board.

I had a drainage tube that they removes right before I left the hospital. My surgery was also the 20th. I'm struggling with the taste of everything. Yougurt is ok. But everything else tastes bad,

And I have a bad taste in my mouth.

I went back to work today, just for a half-day. Tomorrow is my post-op

I don't know what all I had is called, but I had a drain that was supposed to come out when I left the hospital that she took out early to help me do my deep breathing better. I also had a sort of feeding tube with a stopper in it that went into my old stomach. It stayed in until my 1 week post op, and was used for squeezing in water and protein if I was having trouble drinking enough. That thing was terribly uncomfortable. :/ I found out at my post op that my surgeon only gives it to her diabetic patients.

Mine was a tube from the stomach area to a bulb type thing. I had to keep a suction on the bulb to keep fluid coming out of my internals. I had to empty the bulb and measure the fluid twice a day until 1 week post op. It was for the dr's to make sure my modifications weren't leaking. They said they hadn't had a leak since 2008 and if they did it would not require surgery as they would just put an iv in and let it heal on its own. I was to watch the fluid and make sure whatever I was drinking wasn't coming out the tube, for instance if I drank milk the fluid should not turn hazy.

I had that one too, it was the one that got taken out early. I should ask the surgeon what the weird feeding tube thing was called.

I guess I'm lucky because i had no tube. I still have major issues with water though. I'm crazy thirsty.

Button, I'm 2 weeks and 2 days out and water is finally doing down easy for me. Maybe try it a little warmer.

Hey Girls,

If you can tolerate real italian ices I suggest getting a box, these are great for your thirst. They are sugar free, sweetened with splenda. I used these alot in the beginning. I'm thirsty alot now but I can tolerate water better now so I am able to drink more.