Sign in to follow this  
only20

New, young, & terrified.

I've been bigger my whole life. I have struggled with losing weight in healthy ways since I was 13. I've never managing to lose more than 20lbs.

So here we are, my 20th year of life and standing at a whopping 489lbs. Although that could be higher or lower seeing as I haven't been weighed since September 28th.

I suppose the process is a little different in Canada for the Roux-en-Y. I had my orientation July 26th. First appointment with a Nurse and Dietician August 15th. This is when I was weighed for the first time in probably two years. I stood amazed that I was actually a little lighter than I thought at 495 and not 550. After leaving the initial appointments, I began all of my "homework" (bloodwork and food journals). Being summer and being a water baby myself, we spent a lot of time at the beach. By the time I went for my second appointment on September 13th it appeared I was now 481. They were impressed, but I didn't feel that much lighter, and as I went to my third appointment on September 28th I was suddenly at 489. The staff all think that the 481 was a scale malfunction, which is apparently isn't all that uncommon..

There's a part of me that really wants surgery, and a part of me that is scared to death...

It is completely normal to be both excited and nervous about such a life-changing event. I'm impressed that you are doing something about it at such a young age, good for you! I wish it had been readily available when I was younger, I would definitely have looked into it. Welcome to our forum, it's a terrific group of really supportive people!

Welcome to TT! You will get lots of support and information here. Keep reading and gathering information, and make it your 'job' to know all you can about WLS. Gather the people around you - family and friends - who will support you as you go through everything. Even one or two people would be good. The emotions will be all over the place as you approach your surgery date, but know that is perfectly normal. Glad you are here!

Welcome to our forum. You will benefit from so much information here. It can be scary, but its a decision well worth it. It will save you years on your life. You are young, this will give you a great chance for a healthy life. Congrats on doing something about it now!

Welcome and congrats on your decision!

You are very brave and I believe very wise to seek surgical help this early in your life. I have been obese since age 11 and it took until age 40 to surrender to my bariatric decision. Alot of years lost, but I am only looking forward and to the years I will gain by taking control of my health.

Best wishes on your journey. It may not be easy but I definetly think you will find it worth it!

; )

Welcome to TT.

Being nervous/scared is something all of us have been thru. It's natural. It, surgery, is a decision that shouldn't be taken lightly and you need to decide what's right for you. Make sure you research your options and make sure to ask questions. A lot of the people here on the forum are very good at giving great information.

I toyed around with the idea when I was just 15 years old. Now that I'm 31, I wish I would have done it back at your age. I have no regrets about having the surgery done. There were a couple of bumps in the road, but I quickly overcame them and it's been smooth sailing since. I was scared of having surgery because my starting weight was 430 and we all know, the bigger you are, the harder any type of surgery is. I started my pre-op regimen and didn't take it too serious at first but once I got into it, I was able to drop 50 lbs pre-op.

I had my surgery Aug 6th. and I'm 305 now.....just 5 lbs away from being back in the 200's! I haven't been at this weight since high school.

Like I said, make sure you research your options and talk to people who have had the procedure done and gather as much information as you can.

Wishing you the best in your journey!

Welcome! I am new too. At your weight I will speak from experience.....I have lost over 100 lbs. 2 different times since I was 21 years old(after pregnancy). It is tooooooo hard to keep off and maintain it. I wish I would have had surgery before now. I am almost 30 years old and I have just made the decision this year for gastric bypass. Do as much research as possible, but 95% of all diets fail. Glad you have joined. It was hard for me too join because of family and friends. I didn't want anyone to read about me, but then I realized I needed to read about others, which meant somebody probably needed to read about me. Good Luck!

Welcome only20! You have come to the right place for support and encouragement. It won't be long before you are helping others too!

Think of this journey as the bigging of a new chapter in your life! I think it is awesome you are taking control and care of yourself by researching and learning all you can.