June 2012 Updates?

Hello! My surgery was 6/6. I am down to 187 lbs ( 73 lbs lost since day of surgery). Losing hair.. Got some clip in extensions lol. Hmmmm loosing weight everywhere EXCEPT my belly.. Hoping to reach my goal soon! Only 37 lbs from goal!!

Hey there Junebugs! :P

Firstly, congratulations Dowelt1024!!!! What an amazing achievement....it is hard to believe it has all happened so quickly isn't it? Especially when it felt so slow at the time! Drop, stall, drop, stall, stall, stall, drop.....but in the end it all comes together :)

My surgery was June 1st, and I am down 77lbs from day of surgery (242lbs) and down 94lbs from my highest weight (259lbs) on May 3rd, 2012.

My body fat percentage has decreased from 53% to 34%, so still some work to do there obviously, but that is still a huge improvement in 5 months. I have lost LOADS of hair....LOADS. It started almost like clockwork at the 3 month mark, just like so many other's on the TT Forum. Luckily I had a LOT of hair to start with, but it is starting to freak me out a little. I am hoping it will slow down soon - I would like to stop shedding worse than my persian cat please!! :blink:

I have only 15lbs to go before I hit goal, which is absolutely surreal to me. But as we all know the last 20-15lbs are always the hardest, so I don't expect it to be easy by any means. I am also struggling a lot with my self image....I can't get a solid handle on how I REALLY *truly* look. Sometimes I think I look great and really slim, and then I will see a photo of myself and I look almost as big as I was before. Because I am alone I have no-one to be an objective observer to my progress, and oddly enough, my co-workers have not mentioned a single WORD to me - either good or bad - about the fact that I have 'magically' lost almost 100lbs in the last 6 months. :wacko:

Had a horrible moment on Saturday night when I posed for a very rare photo (it was a Halloween Run and we were in costume, when I left the house I thought I looked SUPER CUTE), my friend showed me the result and I almost cried......I looked vile and HUGE....like the last 5 months had never happened at all.

My friend then said "Do you have the camera set on wide angle or something?" - an innocent remark, she was trying to make me feel better I think, but all I could think was "I have lost 75lbs and what is the point? I am still fat". My camera does not have a "wide angle" setting (who would want a setting that makes people look FATTER!!?) and of course my friend in the photo next to me did not look "wide angle", he looked completely normal.

I have set myself a secret (*not anymore I guess!*) and ambitious goal of making my goal weight of 150lbs by 12.12.12....not only because my nerd brain likes the synchronicity of all those pretty numbers, but because I have just found out my man will be returning from deployment on December 15 - a month earlier than expected!! :wub: Eeeep!

The last time he saw me (in December last year) I was 242lbs!! Boy......is he in for a shock.

Of course I would love, love, LOVE to be at goal when I finally see him. It really would be the perfect Hollywood ending* to this WLS journey.

SCENE: Our hero comes home to find his desperately unhappy obese duckling has developed into a confident, healthy, happy and glamorous swan [cue Officer & a Gentleman like behaviour at the airport and much making out to "Love lift us up where we belong"] ;)

The exciting thing is that it IS possible, and it is up to me...for the first time in my LIFE I feel like I am in control of my weight. No matter what the camera says.

* I know it is not an "ending" when I reach goal because I have to maintain for the rest of my life. It is just the end of one chapter and the start of another....

Edited by Bombshelle

Oh, that cracks me up in such a heart fluttering kind of way! I hope you do get that moment because you deserve it!!

I'm feeling exactly like you on the minute to minute self-esteem issues. I, too, had a picture come back that ticked me off. I thought I was looking so fricking good. UGH! I was still the biggest girl in the photo. I just have keep telling myself that it would have been worse.

I find it strange that your coworkers haven't said anything. Do they know you has wls? Were you open about it? I've been very open and get a lot of compliments which is making me a feel like I'm fishing for someone to validate my progress lately. Some people that I haven't seem in ages and don't know I had the surgery don't usually say anything. Then I'm like, "Holy cow! Didn't you notice anything different?" I don't say it, but think I must not look any different. Which doesn't make sense. I know I've lost at least one chin!

Awww thank you darlin! :P that made my day to know someone else was rootin for me! hahaha

I have learned to not get my hopes up too high where the Navy is concerned and his orders are *always* subject to change...but part of me can't help but get a little (over)excited this time. But....it is still 6 weeks away so all I can do to get rid of that nervous/excited energy is to focus on getting to goal!

I soooo hear you on still being the biggest girl in the photo. The Dutch have a very low obesity rate (4th lowest of all OECD countries) - so I often felt like the biggest girl in the whole damn country! ;)

All of my friends are beautiful, healthy and slim, and have not experienced any significant weight struggles. So taking photos for them is "super fun" and as natural as breathing....for me it is TORTURE and it really makes my inner control freak go crazy - I am always the Debbie Downer saying "No! Don't tag me!!" or "If you post that I *WILL* have to kill you" or just hiding behind the camera recording moments of their lives and missing out on moments of mine...

But our time...and our skinny photos will come Grbuggy...I am sure of it!!!

I only told 2 people at my office, and that was my direct manager and her manager - just in case I had any complications and needed to take additional time off. They were both exceptionally supportive which was wonderful. But I did ask them not to discuss it with anyone else in the office because it was a highly personal decision and I was not interested in hearing the uninformed opinions of my co-workers. Especially as the Dutch are famous for being very "direct" (ie blunt and subtle as a sledgehammer :P)

Because obesity and therefore obesity surgery is very rare here, people are even less informed about WLS than in other countries....in fact most Dutch think it is something crazy that only Americans can/would do! So, I was not keen on being seen as some freak experiment, having to discuss it regularly and give constant updates on my progress...or lack thereof (which was my biggest fear...that it wouldn't work and they would have a front row seat to my failure!)

Well, as they say....be careful what you wish for! I got exactly what I asked for...Total silence....Not. A. Word.

*crickets* :ph34r:

I am stoked you are getting compliments and don't worry about fishing! You have EARNED every single one of those compliments!! There will come a day when the compliments slow down - when we hit that magical goal and are no longer changing dramatically every week - so enjoy them all :D And feel free to have your co-workers send some my way hahahaha

By the way...congrats on being 2/3 of the way to your goal!!! You have definitely lost a bit more than just a chin!! 67lbs is just a bit under the average weight of a 10 year old child :eek:

I bet it feels great to be able to put that weight down...and permanently! Well done :D

Ha! Just realised when i re-read my post, that I have started fishing for compliments from *your* co-workers!! Oh dear. Need some ego stroking much? hahaha :blink:

lol yeah i still feel HUGE especially when i face foward and my hips still are fat and i have an inprint from my pants.. I know i look alot better but still have that "big" girl mentality. people tell me i look great but i always say Im still 40 ish lbs away from my goal.. I weigh 185 and want to be 150 im just afriad i WONT get there especially that the "honeymoon" phase is almost over.. uhhh :(

you both are SO close! within 20 lbs of your goals and im still 35 away.. sucks

My surgery was 6/25/12 and I'm doing pretty well so far, no major issues - physical at least...

I still don't recognize myself in the mirror and have a real problem "knowing" that I've lost weight - it just doesn't seem real to me somehow. I knew the mental aspect of this would be hard, but I feel like I'm having some sort of identity crisis right now. Who will I be if I'm not the fat chick anymore?

you both are SO close! within 20 lbs of your goals and im still 35 away.. sucks

So near and yet so far :wacko:

I have been stalled for 3 weeks...! I even put ON weight last week (period related water weight....but it still stung a bit!)

I stalled a lot in the first few months, but I am pretty sure that my sudden progress was helped by starting to seriously exercise 5x a week. I bought myself a new Nike+ GPS watch for my birthday in Sep and it was so much fun to track my calories and see how far I was going, map my route etc that it spurred me on to do more and more. It motivated me, and also gave me something to focus on besides weight.

The weight just started to fall off me when I began exercising, plus I felt better and better. Because I felt better and more energetic, I exercised more and so it became a positive cycle. What a nice change from the negative spirals I normally find myself in!

Until a nasty ulcer developed in mid-Oct and that had me out of action for 10 days. I could barely eat, was in severe pain and had no energy. Pretty much as soon as I stopped exercising the weight loss stopped too....and I have been stalled since Oct 9. :mad:

I guess it is proof (in my own entirely unscientific experiment on 1 person)...exercise is critical for my weight loss. *Sigh* Which kinda sucks cos no matter how much I try and pretend otherwise...I am a LAZY-COUCH-LOVIN-BUM and always will be :unsure:

Edited by Bombshelle

Oh man, where do I begin. June 4th was my surgery date. I am down 102 lbs. size 32 waist. No extra skin. From 324 to 222 right now. Feeling awesome, confidence is soaring as well as energy and I am a totally different person. Was the ultimate introvert, now all I want to do is be out and socialize. Everything seems to come so easy now. I do Tough Mudder events when before I couldn't do 3 push ups. What a trip. It's far from over though! I remind myself first thing every morning that I was given a gift, a second chance on life, and that I will not abuse it and go back to the way I was. I hope all the other June bugs have just as much success!

My surgery was 6/25/12 and I'm doing pretty well so far, no major issues - physical at least...

I still don't recognize myself in the mirror and have a real problem "knowing" that I've lost weight - it just doesn't seem real to me somehow. I knew the mental aspect of this would be hard, but I feel like I'm having some sort of identity crisis right now. Who will I be if I'm not the fat chick anymore?

I am SO happy that you have had no physical issues Technogal! :D The head stuff is hard enough without adding physical issues in with it!

And oh my goodness, I still can't get over how much you have changed in your photo!! You look AWESOME!

"Who will I be if I'm not the fat chick anymore?" - you got it spot on. The question we are all struggling with to some degree. Who am I underneath all of this? What if I lose all this weight and I am still _________ (insert fear of worthlessness/rejection/failure)?

I have no idea who I will be when I am not the fat chick anymore. But I am absolutely ready (overdue!) and excited to find out! ;)

Oh man, where do I begin. June 4th was my surgery date. I am down 102 lbs. size 32 waist. No extra skin. From 324 to 222 right now. Feeling awesome, confidence is soaring as well as energy and I am a totally different person. Was the ultimate introvert, now all I want to do is be out and socialize. Everything seems to come so easy now. I do Tough Mudder events when before I couldn't do 3 push ups. What a trip. It's far from over though! I remind myself first thing every morning that I was given a gift, a second chance on life, and that I will not abuse it and go back to the way I was. I hope all the other June bugs have just as much success!

This is BRILLIANT!!!

I am super happy for you Newlife :D :D :D

And I can feel your energy jumping off the screen - it is contagious and makes me smile to realise just how much freedom and joy this surgery can give.

Keep on rockin on and showing us how to do it! :D

PS I hope to join you in completing one of the Tough Mudder events very soon - I am already pre-registered for the Amsterdam event in 2013!!

Edited by Bombshelle

I think those Tough Mudder events look so fun. May have to set a goal to do one this sumemr. A friend that had WLS seven years ago said I'd be ready for a half marathon soon. Yea, right!! Not quite....I'm planning on doing my first 5K on Thanksgiving. Not even sure I'll be able to run it, but I'll be excited just to cross that finish line!

I also just got a workout partner and am so stoked. I'd been worried about how I would find the motivation to get out of my warm, cozy bed in the morning when it will be so bitterly cold this winter. I really haven't exercised as much as I should - only been swimming two morning a week, but it's a hell of a lot more than I ever did before. Now we have plans for the swimming two days a week and using the equipment three days. I'm hoping the exercise addiction hits soon! I'm even looking forward to the sore muscles :P

I am SO happy that you have had no physical issues Technogal! :D The head stuff is hard enough without adding physical issues in with it!

And oh my goodness, I still can't get over how much you have changed in your photo!! You look AWESOME!

"Who will I be if I'm not the fat chick anymore?" - you got it spot on. The question we are all struggling with to some degree. Who am I underneath all of this? What if I lose all this weight and I am still _________ (insert fear of worthlessness/rejection/failure)?

I have no idea who I will be when I am not the fat chick anymore. But I am absolutely ready (overdue!) and excited to find out! ;)

You look AWESOME as well! Fantastic job losing that amount in such a short time! I'm hoping that figuring out who we will be as a thin person will come around eventually as the weight comes off, still a bit fearful of it...

:D Bless you Technogal :D

The universe is listening. And in one of those amazing moments of serendipity, this beautiful and appropriate message arrived in my email inbox today:

"When the caterpillar becomes a butterfly, there is a stage in its metamorphosis where it is completely liquified. It is a "nutritive soup of enzymes." Entirely unrecognizable. You can't tell what it was, or what it will become.

There will be a time, a passage when you don't really know who you were, or are, or can be. It's natural, it's divine, and it's the chemistry of beautiful, awesome change.

Soul soup. You're making it. Your past is in there -- nothing goes to waste; and your desires -- every wish you've ever wished gets mixed in; and it's infused with incredible, and I do mean incredible possibilities."

For me this explains *perfectly* what I am feeling....I am not the "old me", I am not yet the "new me". I am a strange, fluid and constantly changing mixture of the two. No wonder I barely recognise myself in the mirror :P

Edited by Bombshelle

I think those Tough Mudder events look so fun. May have to set a goal to do one this sumemr. A friend that had WLS seven years ago said I'd be ready for a half marathon soon. Yea, right!! Not quite....I'm planning on doing my first 5K on Thanksgiving. Not even sure I'll be able to run it, but I'll be excited just to cross that finish line!

I also just got a workout partner and am so stoked. I'd been worried about how I would find the motivation to get out of my warm, cozy bed in the morning when it will be so bitterly cold this winter. I really haven't exercised as much as I should - only been swimming two morning a week, but it's a hell of a lot more than I ever did before. Now we have plans for the swimming two days a week and using the equipment three days. I'm hoping the exercise addiction hits soon! I'm even looking forward to the sore muscles :P

Congrats on your budding exercise addiction!!! :P I hope it really does kick in for you! And a 5K is a HUGE accomplishment - one that should not be underestimated. You have already crossed the toughest finish line with this surgery, you are definitely tough enough to cross the line of the 5K :D

I hear those stories all the time, of people who were able to transfer their old bad habits into an virtuous exercise obsession...and I have secretly been trying to trick my brain into that for months :ph34r: sssshhh

But I must be made of teflon, cos the exercise just won't stick hahaha

:D Bless you Technogal :D

The universe is listening. And in one of those amazing moments of serendipity, this beautiful and appropriate message arrived in my email inbox today:

"When the caterpillar becomes a butterfly, there is a stage in its metamorphosis where it is completely liquified. It is a "nutritive soup of enzymes." Entirely unrecognizable. You can't tell what it was, or what it will become.

There will be a time, a passage when you don't really know who you were, or are, or can be. It's natural, it's divine, and it's the chemistry of beautiful, awesome change.

Soul soup. You're making it. Your past is in there -- nothing goes to waste; and your desires -- every wish you've ever wished gets mixed in; and it's infused with incredible, and I do mean incredible possibilities."

For me this explains *perfectly* what I am feeling....I am not the "old me", I am not yet the "new me". I am a strange, fluid and constantly changing mixture of the two. No wonder I barely recognise myself in the mirror :P

Wow... just Wow! I so needed to hear this today - thank you so much for sharing. It really is interesting how sometimes things come to us in a way that seems random, but I really do think there is a reason for everything...

I need to work out lol. I know thats my problem. I just dont have the time.. working full time and being a single mom...

Hey everyone!

I had my surgery on 6/7/12. Day of Surgery I was 330lbs. This morning I am 243. I've lost 87lbs, which is great, but I still have a long way to go. I have gone from a size 26/28 pants to a size 18 and 3XL tops to Large. I feel stronger and healthier and definitely more active and physically capable. I am in week 6 of the Couch to 5K program and weight train 3 times a week.

Congrats to everyone for their weight loss to date and getting so close to goal. I lose in phases which make it almost psychologically abusive, lol. I am starting to lose again after a slow month of October.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Congratulations PghManda!! 87lbs is A-MAZING!! :D

And congrats on being in Week 6 of the C25K! That is the program I used to get back out there too, and recommend it to anyone.

I do need to get into the weights though...thanks for the reminder and inspiration!! ^_^

June 11th here and I am now 178.6lbs woohoo. I have been doing great, had a scare on Friday ended up down at cedars at my surgeons request for a ct scan. Everything was fine but felt like I was dying lol. I feel amazing, having this surgery was the best thing I ever did. No more headaches and migraines. No more sore joints. No more plus size clothes :) for the first time in my marriage I weigh less than my husband :) life is good!!

My hair is falling out like crazy and scaring the living crap out of me LOL. My hair is fine but I have tons of it thank god, I started taking biotin and I really hope it helps. Been trying to up my protein as well.

June 11th here and I am now 178.6lbs woohoo. I have been doing great, had a scare on Friday ended up down at cedars at my surgeons request for a ct scan. Everything was fine but felt like I was dying lol. I feel amazing, having this surgery was the best thing I ever did. No more headaches and migraines. No more sore joints. No more plus size clothes :) for the first time in my marriage I weigh less than my husband :) life is good!!

Wow WONDERFUL news Cholethomas!!! :D

That is so excellent that the migraines have stopped (aren't they hell!?) Now that you mention it, I haven't had one since the surgery either! I have been so busy with the weight loss that I kinda forgot about them...yippee!

I have the same hair, super fine but TONS of it...and I must have lost about half of it the way it all constantly falls out. Also on the Biotin....fingers crossed for us ALL! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I'll still take the hair loss over the fat any day

• 3 months later...