Smyles921

Looking forward to support and direction

Hi, my name is Kym. I had started looking into weight loss surgery close to home and had gone all the way up to the end looking at lap band surgery. I called my insurance company to see if it had been approved, only to discover they would only cover 40%. After looking at my options, I ended up going out of state to get the sleeve. My surgery was a little over a week ago and the recovery has been great. I just feel a little lost. I think my doctor assumes I have more info than I do and it is difficult since he is out of state. I have been doing the protein drinks, but whats next? Am I not supposed to start soft food yet due to digestion/new stomach, or is it because I am training my stomach? What have others done to make diet transitions?

Thank you!!!

With my sleeve it was 2 weeks of liquids, 2 weeks of pureed foods, 2 weeks of "soft foods"(eggs, unsweetened applesuce, cottage cheese, etc) then a regular diet. through all of this they want 64oz of water daily or as much as you can, and around 80 gm of protein. I drink the Premiere Protein shakes from Costco. 30gm of protein and 160 calories. That's it in a nutshell.

I agree with Farmington. Keep in mind to sip your drinks, and take everything slowly. Don't be surprised that sometimes it will be hard to get everything in

Thank you both!!

I also chose a surgeon who was a considerable distance away from me (3 hours). He is the best that I could find and we, thankfully, able to afford it (I'm in Oz, I had gap fees to pay, so lotsa $$). Anyhoo it wasn't possible for me to attend the regular group sessions and to attend his dietitians etc as I have to take a day off work to go there.

So I got in touch with my local community medical centre and was referred to a bariatric dietitian and she is helping me manage the protein levels, the supplements, the diet transitions.

Perhaps you could source something similar locally? It has been a huge help for me to have her and I see her every three weeks or so. She only deals with patients who have had WLS or are having it, so she knows her stuff and it makes such a difference because she gets it whereas other dietitians don't always get the nuances that we WLS patients have.

My plan was exactly like Farmingtons. I use bariatric advantages shakes and isopure unflavored protein by adding it to food.

Just don't forget your vitamins.

Multi - I use and like celebrates most - order on the web;

calcium citrate + D3, at least 1000 mg a day - I use celebrates Calcet creamy bites and bariatric advantages calcium chews;

B12 - I use natures bounty sublingual - 3000 mg per week;

Iron - I use bariatric advantages passion fruit, I think it tastes best. Just make sure you take the iron at least 2 hours seperate from your calcium.

Best wishes!

; )