brownkk

I can't seem to get back on track

:( I am 16 months post op. I lost 125 lbs. then over the summer I started putting a little bit back on. Hanging out with the family and vacationing, and eating junk. Since school has started back, I still can't seem to get the carbs out of my diet. I want to graze on crackers and junk. I have gained 15 lbs. back and need help to stop gaining.

Anyone been here and was able to overcome it? I can use any help and advise. Someone told me to just stop all carbs and do an Atkins diet???

Please help me find my willpower and discipline.

karla

The most often-prescribed solution is to go back to basics. Go back to keeping a food journal, measuring/weighing your food, eating protein first, getting your fluids in, and daily exercise. Many people find success with following the 5-day pouch test. You can do a search for 5DPT or 5-day pouch test. I have tried it twice now, and it does nothing for me except intensify my carb cravings, so I've decided not to do it ever again. It's a mental thing with me.

However, similar to you, I lost a little over 100 pounds and managed to gain 10-12 pounds back over a six-month time period. I was able to drop 10 pounds by cutting my carb intake from around 150 g a day down to less than 50 g a day. For me, my carb intake has always been comprised of dairy, fruits, and vegetables, but I was apparently overdoing it on the fruit. I switched liquid protein sources, lessened my fruit intake, and ate more solid protein. I switched from Unjury, which I mixed with organic skim milk, to Profuse (recommended by my bariatric surgeon, who just so happens to be the person who formulated this product; it is hydrolyzed collagen protein -- it's already broken down, so it is easier for our bodies to absorb). I was drinking two to three Unjury shakes before I lost these last 10 pounds. I think the reduction of carbs was the most beneficial thing I did.

Try not to feel bad about this weight gain. It's more common than you think, and it's great that you are thinking about what you can do to keep your weight under control. Little changes might make a big difference. Maintenance phase is much more challenging than one would think. It's learning to find balance, what works for your body. There are some people who can eat higher amounts of carbs with little to no effect and others who can't get near them without gaining weight. You might already know the culprit in your diet that needs to be lessened or eliminated.

Take a look at your before photo, and it might scare you enough to get back on track. You've been committed to this way of living for 16 months. In order for this to be successful, you have to be willing to adopt this way of living for the rest of your life...or you will end up back at square one. It's what I'm facing these days. I'm a self-professed food addict, and I'm finding it a whole lot easier these days to say goodbye to certain foods, things I thought I could "never live without." I love the reflection I see in the mirror these days, and I'm learning that no food is worth any weight gain. I've worked too hard for this. I'm too proud of myself for coming this far.

Expect good things...be proud of your accomplishments...and believe in yourself! You can get yourself back on track! Remember, this is your journey...you make it what you want.

The most often-prescribed solution is to go back to basics. Go back to keeping a food journal, measuring/weighing your food, eating protein first, getting your fluids in, and daily exercise. Many people find success with following the 5-day pouch test. You can do a search for 5DPT or 5-day pouch test. I have tried it twice now, and it does nothing for me except intensify my carb cravings, so I've decided not to do it ever again. It's a mental thing with me.

However, similar to you, I lost a little over 100 pounds and managed to gain 10-12 pounds back over a six-month time period. I was able to drop 10 pounds by cutting my carb intake from around 150 g a day down to less than 50 g a day. For me, my carb intake has always been comprised of dairy, fruits, and vegetables, but I was apparently overdoing it on the fruit.

Thanks Martee! I definitely know that I am gaining because of bad carb choices. Sometimes I get caught up on whether to count calories, or carbs? My surgeon told me that if I could eat like the Atkins for Life program that I would have no problems??

Martee hit the nail on the head! I am having the same problem with my carb choices and GRAZING.....yup, a nibble here, a handfull there really adds up. I have vowed to myself that I will NOT allow myself to above 140. I went above 140 a little over a month ago, got serious, and reduced my carb intake and stopped the grazing. I achieved my goal of getting below 140 within a little over a week. Also, another big thing that helped me was increasing my exercise level......calories in, calories out. I was exceeding what my body needed.

I am having a hard time with the weight creeping AGAIN because I have gotten lazy with my food choices and my exercise level is back to almost nothing. *big sigh* So......that being said, i know what I need to do. Keeping your determination and focus is key to getting back on track. To help with determination.....like Martee said.....look at a before photo of yourself, heck blow that photo up to an 8x10 and post that sucker on your fridge! Or, if you need the motivation away from home, make it your cell phone background!

As a last note, one of the many diets I did before having RNY was the South Beach diet. I personally feel that's a healthier and more "livable" eating plan out there. It's also easy to tweak to meet our special needs, but as far as I can tell, not too much tweaking is really needed.

This is where I have found myself as well, friends. I swore I would never again get over 150. The first week I saw 151.X, I thought I'd get serious. It didn't last. The next week I felt depressed and frustrated. It has been almost a month now, and I HAVE to figure out how to get out of this. I can hardly say no to temptations...I have to figure out how to get my willpower back.

My mom had bypass 5 or 6 years before I did, and you'd think she would be a good support. She also lost her job last August, we are in the same house, and she makes unhealthy, tempting things often. I cannot buy any sort of snacks because she eats them when I am not here. I have bought frozen meals to take for my lunch before, then go to the freezer to get them and she has eaten it. I do not mind to help her out, as I know she is short on funds, but it compounds my problems. I need to find solutions that work for ME, if you know what I mean.

I think I will start the 5DPT on Monday, as I still have a family gathering today and tomorrow. If she does not want to do it with me, at least she can try not to tempt me.

I am right there with you these days. I hadb't touched a cracker or chip in almost 2 years and I had a tummy tuck 9 weeks ago and was STUCK in bed for weeks. Depression kicked in I think because of it and my emotions after surgery anyways and i started grazing. Nibbles here and there. It scares me. I have not gained but it's the habit I am afraid of.

I went back to using food to soothe me and it's hard to break it. We can do this. We are not alone. If we keep on supporting each other, make good choices and be accountable we can push through.

I decided going back to basics will help. All of these comments are truly inspiring.

Marisa

I was just getting ready to post something similar when I saw this thread. I am about 2 years 3 months out. For the last 6 months, I have maintained around 166ish and I was thrilled. My original goal was 160, but I was very happy at 166. Last month I dropped down to 161.5, but then I went we went into major over time at work and everyone was bringing in junk food. Then I went on a 7 day cruise. Needless to say I gained 8 lbs and shot back up to 169.5. I do NOT want to go over 170 again!!

Just yesterday I decided to get back on track. Sometimes I have to remind myself how littled food I actually need. I think I ended the day yesterday with just under 800 calories consumed. Two protein shakes, a quarter of a block of Ramen noodles for lunch, small Wendy's chili for dinner and a beef jerky snack before bed.

I was just over 800 (around 850) yesterday I think and under today, around 700. Just gotta keep it up for a couple more days and I should be good.

I gave up eating wheat entirely and lost like 2kg from that in itself. I'm sure I'd lose even more if I gave up sugar. ;)

I like the paleo-ish eating and exercise approach, and this website is awesome for that: www.marksdailyapple.com

Good luck!

I'm with you all. I haven't gained any yet but can tell my little snacking on things such as chips and a very odd craving for Good & Plenty candy (explain that one please!) will begin to start my old grazing habits. It's one of the reasons I came back to this group! I'm here for support and to give support!

Cyndie

I weighed in on Monday and lost 6 of the 8.5 I gained! Woohooo!!

I'm 2 years out this month, I can hardly believe it... what a journey. I'm diligent about keeping track of my calories and seldom go over. However, the quality of my calories is going downhill since Thanksgiving. I know I need to stop the grazing and get back to basics but am having a hard time. Also, sugar doesn't seem to bother me like it used to (that's bad!). Stopped by to get myself back on track. : )

I dump on sugar but I also have a bit less reaction at around year two then I did in the beginning and then there are days when I can have something sweet and be ok and others when I feel sick at bite one. I have not had the munchies for years-where I feel really hungry and persistently so. A few nights ago I had two-yes two Amy's Organic lasagna dinners about an hour apart. I ate the one and an hour later I was really hungry. Weird. And then the past two days I hardly ate. I find that the shortened daylight hours and cold weather make me hungrier. Normally I am in a big work out routine that helps keep my diet in line but I have been unable to exercise now for 8 weeks and that has made the munchy creeps more prevelant.

I think you are at such a low weight that your body may be trying to pack on an extra five for winter, LOL. Mine has about 25 it could loan you. I keep telling my body we do not need more reserves for winter, LOL, we have our own!

So how has everyone bee doing over the holidays? I have not done as well as I should have. But I am actually excited about getting back on track and feeling better. I always feel lazy and sluggish when I have junk.

I am 2.5 years out and have gained back about 20lbs...I am cutting out the grazing as that is my down fall....the fat boy in me WILL NOT WIN!!!

Me too! I'm 2.5 years out, lost 150 or so and have gained back 20 ish. For me it's much the same - grazing and not paying attention to what I put in my body. The holidays have been wicked awful for me as far as smart eating is concerned. I know I need to go back to basics, and that's part of why I've shown my face again here on ThinnerTimes :) Thank you for the comments everyone, they really do help.

Hello! I am almost 2 ½ years out and I am at a good place, but these holidays are killing me!! Candy and stuffing and all the bad things are all around! I cant wait for the new year. I have 15 more pounds to go. I have to get back on track but I have to say I weigh myself every day and never allow myself to go over a 2-3 pound weight gain. I do a basic 5 day pouch test each time I start to gain. It works! Good luck to all!!

I tried the 5DPT once and it really does help with the carb cravings, but I did not lose weight on it. (same boat as Martee- see her posts)- During this holiday season, I've ranged between 142 and 145, which is directly related to my carb and sodium intake. Salty things put me up 3-4 lbs within a 24 hour period- wild, right?

I'm not a sweets junky, but have just eaten "more" of regular/salty/carby/crunchy stuff over this season.

(Sigh)- It's back to basics for me!

Nancy

I tried the 5DPT once and it really does help with the carb cravings, but I did not lose weight on it. (same boat as Martee- see her posts)- During this holiday season, I've ranged between 142 and 145, which is directly related to my carb and sodium intake. Salty things put me up 3-4 lbs within a 24 hour period- wild, right?

Sodium has been kicking my butt! I noticed after my tummy tuck if I dare eat salty foods I literally balloon up. The scale goes bonkers. So I have been trying to push more fluids which has always been the number one hardest thing to do and back to basics too!

I had a miracle....I didn't gain a pound over the holidays! Why, I don't know. Maybe my idea of what is "bad eating" has changed. I did have a couple of shortbread cookies, some fudge, and salt and pepper chicken wings at my party. But maybe it was so little and I was so busy it didn't matter. The holidays are over, there is no more "bad stuff" around and I'm back on track. I've maintained for almost a year now, but as I see here, it will be a life long struggle.

Way to go, Nana!

and MaraJayne, are you really doing just 800 ish calories a day? Golly! I've been toying with dropping my calories some, but didn't know if I could actually go that low and still feel ok???? My usual day is around 1200 ish.............

Nancy :D

Hi all!

Just checking to see how everyone is doing?

You guys are so inspiring.  And always such a help.

I am not where I should be, though.  Still about 170lbs. and just can't seem to stay on track.  I 've tried different things, but I guess I am just going to get back down to basics with the measuring and counting every thing that goes into my mouth.  I've also had the flu/sinus infection so I haven't been exercsing for about 2 weeks.  So I guess it's time to try again.  I was trying to do more of the atkins and not measure, but that doesn't seem to be the way for me.   I did good through the week but on the weekend when I had some carbs I gain everything back.  :(

How are ya'll doing with getting back on track?

karla  :wacko:

It's really difficult to get back on track, but it is not impossible. I got off track too and gained 10 lbs. when only 8 lbs. from goal. I made a deal a couple of weeks ago with my NP...20 lbs. by my birthday in October. I am logging EVERYTHING I eat and keeping a diary. I am making appointments to see him in 4 week installments. The goal is to lose 1 lb. a week. If I lose 4 lbs. before the appointment, I cancel the appointment and make another for four weeks out. If I don't lose 4 lbs., then I go in with my log and we go over it.

He said he has other "tricks" up his sleeve if this doesn't work, but we're not at that point yet. I'm doing well so far.

You can do this. Cut back on snacks, even if you don't rule them out all the time. Good luck.

That's why I am back on TT :)  My average weight is 172. I got to 165 with just being really busy but as life calmed down, I am at 182! Ugh I have to do something before I start creeping up. I know I can get back to the 172-175 range but it seems like all I want to do is graze. I'm not hungry, I just want to snack here and there. Having kids makes it really bad because when I'm up at 2am, 4am etc feeding a baby, snacking seems like the right thing to do even though I know it's not. We will all get through our hump with the help of each other.