Grammy1948

Stalls and Plateaus

Has anyone experienced a stall in losing pounds just two months after sleeve surgery? I have not lost in a few weeks.... I am two months post op....still losing inches, but not pounds. Down 35 pounds in two months but stalled now for two weeks.... ???????

Entirely common at this point - I stalled for 3 weeks when only 5 weeks out, didn't lose a pound. Then, miraculously the weight loss started again and I lost 14lbs in the following 2 weeks. We will hit plateaus as our body adjusts itself to the low calorie intake and hormonal changes - it's the hardest thing in the world, but be patient - this too will pass.

Yes, I am in a slight stall, but losing inches. it has only been a few days. I am going to increase my water intake and keep up the exercise program. As long as the inches are coming off, I know it is working. I am going to be patient, especially since some progress is being made. You hang in there!

Absolutely. I had one a week ago. It's frustrating because you want that number to go down. But your clothes and the tape measure will tell the tale! And then voila...it starts going down again. I made sure to watch my carbs - keep my protein up and keep moving forward!

My scale is also decided to be stubborn. However, the clothes are all falling off of me so I know that exercise and eating less is working. I go Wednesday for my official 3 month post-op weigh in and measurements. I'm looking forward to it. Wait a second, did I just say I was looking forward to being weighed and measured???? Holy cow!!!! Now there's a FIRST!

I have been stalled for a while, like for a month but my clothes are really big

I am stalling already at 3 weeks post op! My scale didn't move for 5 days and then has just moved 1 1/2 pounds since. Driving me insane. I feel like I am doing everything right, maybe not getting enough protein in? I don't know. Or I just need to quit weighing myself all the time and relax! :) I feel like my weight loss was so fast right off the bat that now it just drives me nuts that I am all of a sudden at a snails pace.

Hi, I too am experiencing a stall...I will be 3 months post op on Nov 6, 13. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. My mind is going on overdrive. Does this gets better? I've read that even though some of you aren't losing but the inches are coming off. How's that? Help me please!!!!!!

I am 4 weeks out and stalled a week and a half ago.  Frustrating?  Yes.  But, we just need to keep plugging along and know that the scale will start moving again.  And, it will!

Hi, I too am experiencing a stall...I will be 3 months post op on Nov 6, 13. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. My mind is going on overdrive. Does this gets better? I've read that even though some of you aren't losing but the inches are coming off. How's that? Help me please!!!!!!

Stalls are completely normal and 1000% common.  It is how the body works.  You will encounter many of them as the weeks, days, months pass on.  Inches also don't always fall off.  I lost well over 100lbs before I even dropped a single size.  It is infuriating and frustrating....but it passes.  As long as the scale eventually goes down, that is the important part.

Was sleeved on 10/7/13. Sw 210...3 weeks later, I have lost only 10 lbs. so very frustrating..following the rules by the book. Lost steadily until I introduced soft foods..then went up 2 lbs and am stuck at 200. Will increasing protein help with the wt. loss?

If you look around the forums you will see at 3 weeks is a very very common time for the first stall to hit.  I also stalled for a short time when I started back on soft foods.  The fact is you are eating so very very little at this time the weight literally has no choice but to come off.  However, the body goes through periods of adjustments and "catches up" with what is happening to it and this is when the stalls happen.  Protein is your main focus, get 60-80g a day (which can be hard in the early stages like you are still in) and keep pushing the fluids.  The stall will break eventually.  Trust the process.

I'm so grateful that this thread is here and you all have shared your posts! I hit a stall and although intellectually I do understand the body is making adjustments, and adapting to the shock of WLS and the effects of so few calories...my own brain struggles with my built in Anterior Negative Thoughts (ANTs). I do failure very well, it's a part of me. I am not as versed at success with weight loss. So after making such a definitive and I feel drastic decision as WLS...working through these metabolic changes in my mind has become the bigger challenge. I am so appreciative of each of your journeys before me and the honest exchange and support found in this thread. It quells those nasty creepy ANTs to a place they belong...outta here! Thank You!!!

I have been in a stall then up a few down a few. Then staying the same. It is frustrating to say the least. Hit them before and then literally overnight and I lose 2lbs. It is crazy how the body works! Mine happens to have to have what I call a "bad" carb every day in order to lose. I have one half of a flat bread or a serving of pretzels. Something I knew and didn't change after surgery either. So on it goes. I don't measure and should. My body that is. Food always.

My body is a temple. It is also keeping my temporal lobe guessing! After all this, second guessing....the scale moved down 2.5 pounds. In my case I added back a protein shake once a day. This also helps me get my water in quicker. I found that by bedtime I was still trying to get that last liter of water in! At nearly 13 weeks, I can handle the protein shake taste much better. My body is truly like my own Discovery channel! LOL

I am 2 months 1 week out and have hit ANOTHER plateau was coming on here to get encouragement and remind myself it's a process.

I tend to forget I had a couple complications and a second surgery before Christmas which threw my body for another loop-

I love this forum because it reminds me so much- this is a journey!!!

It's steps not ramps -  4 pounds drop off and then nothing for 2 weeks,  then 2 pounds drop off...  I haven't lost nearly as much as other people but still it's noticeable now and I'm feeling much better.  Even people who don't see me,  look at my photos on facebook and tell me I've lost weight.    I'm waiting till I fit properly and effortless into an ordinary size 16-18.  I'm about 10 pounds off from that.  (I can do a size 18 in a generous cut clothes line - like lands end,  but not in a regular line,  like any thing I pick up at Macys)

About 6 week stall here or whatever u want to call it. Actually GAINED on the same plan I have been following. Didn't even gain at the Holidays but then BOOM! gained. Sucks in a stall to gain then had to re-lose that weight but today broke the stall and hit my lowest weight ever! So moving on or down I hope! Definitely a journey! Or more like a wild ride!

I am almost 9 weeks out and I am going through my second stall. It has been almost 2 weeks and I have only lost 1 pound! I have been exercising and staying away from carbs. My protein intake hasn't been great so I just bought the premier protein shakes from Costco today. They aren't bad and I think I wont have a problem getting one or two down a day. I definitely am coming up short trying to get protein from food so hopefully the shakes will help. Stalls suck lol. I start to worry that I will never lose weight again and this is it. As long as I get through this one I will be able to think differently. Its kinda scary to not see the scale move after everything I have gone through to change my life and my eating. I'm just praying this will pass :)

I just finally saw the blessed scale drop 3 lbs after a two and a 1/2 lb strike!That was yesterday. It was a horrible experiance and i daily cursed the scale for stabbing me in the back. Its over now and i know that it will happen again. I think i will be better preparred next time. I stayed on plan and measured my waistline , which helped. Hang tight, its hard.

I just finally saw the blessed scale drop 3 lbs after a two and a 1/2 lb strike!That was yesterday. It was a horrible experiance and i daily cursed the scale for stabbing me in the back. Its over now and i know that it will happen again. I think i will be better preparred next time. I stayed on plan and measured my waistline , which helped. Hang tight, its hard.

Hey ithinkican, I KNOW you can! Keep up the good work. I am stalled right now.....staying at weight though, time for me to up the excersise.

Me too. Started week three and stopped losing. It's ok, though. Clothes are still looser.

Thank you Duffman! we are one day away on durgury dates =)

I MUST remember to start measuring myself! I know it will help me through a stall!

I experienced my first stall in the 3rd week post op. lasted about 11 days of yo-yo a pound up and then a pound down - finally broke and dropped 4 pounds in 3 days. nice to know there will be more stalls - nicer to know I am not alone.