How are the June 2012 folks doing?

Just thought I'd check in and see how my fellow June post-ops are doing. I'm finally losing again after a looonnnnggg stall.

Food is becoming much easier to tolerate (except for eggs and cheese), I'm getting in all my fluids, protein, etc. now. Feeling pretty good, depression seems to be better too.

hey technogal!

RNY June 1st, 2012 here! Apologies in advance for the long reply...I started writing and just couldn't stop! :P

I have had a LOT of stalls, starting from week 2. At first the losses were exciting, and affirming and it was fun to get on the scales...until the losses started to slow and I would start the inevitable self blame "I must be doing something wrong!!" despite all rational thought and evidence to the contrary.

I got on the scale one day towards the end of the second week and had somehow put on 3kgs (6.5lbs) overnight. PUT ON WEIGHT...and a LOT overnight!? My rational mind knew that I had done nothing wrong with my diet and I was following my surgeon's instructions to the letter. I knew - rationally - that it was fluid and women fluctuate crazy amounts on the scale depending on their stage of the cycle.

But that was "rational me" and we all know "rational me" gets beaten up and shouted down by "crazy, emotional me"! So I began catastrophising...I had failed. I couldn't even make a gastric bypass work. What is the point of allowing myself to be cut open and have my insides rearranged, do everything right and STILL fail at this, my last ditch effort?!

I was at same point where all my previous diet efforts had fallen. I was crushed by the weight of my disappointment and a huge shame-inducing binge spiral ensued.

Except this time, I physically couldn't binge on food....I couldn't just quit this 'diet' because I felt like it, or it was "too hard", or because "what's the point?". Having the operation saved me from repeating the same old destructive behaviours that kept me trapped in that miserable cycle.

That was the moment I decided to stop weighing myself every day. If a stupid number could make me feel that terrible about myself then I was focussing on the wrong thing. I did this for my health, not the number on a scale. I was already able to walk better and further each day and that meant more than any number on the scale.

I decided I would only weigh myself once every 4 weeks. And was MUCH happier for that decision. I also stopped focussing on the weight loss itself. That is a by-product of doing the right thing and living right. It is NOT my end goal. My end goal is perfect health, being able to be active and enjoy life again. I knew if I just followed my surgeons advice, everything else would fall into place.

My mantra every day is "If I do the right thing, I will get the right results" - it is a really simple equation. Put the work in, get the results out. The only thing I cannot control is the timeframe. (It is never as fast as we want, but when you look back it is always much faster than we thought!)

My mantra keeps me focussed on the long-term goal and allows me to let go of the day-to-day drama and worry that would normally derail me or at the very least, emotionally torture me.

It also helps me focus in the short term by ensuring that the decisions I am make at each mealtime are the right ones for my long-term goal. If I do the right thing, I will get the right results.

Physically I can eat pretty much everything except for sugar and high carb items. Which was the primary reason for me getting the RNY over the VSG, so that is great for me. And I have had no problems with my pouch (knock on wood!). Food I used to love like meat and dairy is starting to gross me out though. It leaves a weird fatty taste in my mouth...so I may end up a vegan if this keeps up! :blink:

I get all my protein in, but struggle to get my calories up to 800-1000, however I don't stress about it too much. I will make more of an effort to increase my calories if I start to see the weight loss slow significantly or hit another long term stall.

The most wonderful thing for me has been the health benefits. From the first week I saw the swelling in my legs start to disappear and was able to start walking again (albeit very short distances!). Then my energy shot through the roof....how can you feel bad when you are full of energy for the first time in....maybe ever?! My sleeping improved as my weight dropped (no more apnoea!) and my endurance increased till now I am run/walking 5km several times a week (I am following the Couch to 5K program and it really works).

I am happier, more confident, calmer and more able to be a better friend as I can really focus on my friends and not constantly on myself and my "hideous weight". My depression is also so much better (it's like night and day). I suspect because I am no longer messing with my brain chemistry or the effects of my anti-depressants with alcohol and carb-binges.

I don't miss any of the things I gave up for this surgery. I gave up cigarettes (previously pack a day), alcohol and a 25 year long 2 litre (68 ounces) a day Diet Coke habit. And my life could not be better with out those old frenemies.

As a final unexpected side effect of this surgery, I am saving so much MONEY! I can't believe how much extra money I have every month now I am not spending (*wasting*) it all on takeaway food, booze and cigarettes! ;) I self-paid for this surgery with all my savings to avoid going through the 15mth waiting period and red tape over here....but at the rate things are going, it will have paid for itself in another 6 months! :P

So, I weighed myself today as it has been 12 weeks....and I am down to 193lbs from 259 (88kgs from 110kgs). :eek:

I didn't just hit Onederland, I hit it out of the park! 66lbs in 12 weeks is amazing! Like I said...it was not as fast as I wanted, but so much faster than I thought!

Edited by Bombshelle

Bombshelle - I read your post with tears in my eyes, that is just so wonderful! It sounds like you have done a marvelous job not just at the weight loss but a real turnaround on your way of thinking and lifestyle changes - in such a short time. I'm so very happy for you, and for all of us that have made this momentous, life-changing decision.

My decision was made not only for myself, but for my family - I have two little girls, ages 7 & 10 and a wonderful husband. I want to be healthy and live a long enjoyable life, not one of misery and self-doubt. Kudos to you and all of us!!

Seeing your lovely family in your weight ticker it's easy understand why you made such a difficult decision. If people really knew the agonising, doubt and fear that came before making this decision,no-one would ever think it was the "easy way out"!

Being around for them, being an active, happier, healthier YOU - that is the best gift you can give yourself and your family. They are really lucky to have you!

Seeing your lovely family in your weight ticker it's easy understand why you made such a difficult decision. If people really knew the agonising, doubt and fear that came before making this decision,no-one would ever think it was the "easy way out"!

Being around for them, being an active, happier, healthier YOU - that is the best gift you can give yourself and your family. They are really lucky to have you!

Thank you so much!!! My decision was made a bit easier because my husband had WLS almost 3 years ago and has lost and kept off 200lbs. He was really an inspiration and a tremendous support for me.

hello,

Surgery June, 25th here.

Things are moving a little slower than i expected as well but I think i am just being impatient. I have lost 36 pounds in 2 months and 62 since i started the pre-op diet. I have found the measurements to be more reassuring as I just measured today since it was 2 months yesterday and ive lost 7 inches off my waist and that is since the night before surgery. I didnt measure before i started the pre-op diet.

I am not tolerating food very well at this point. Tuna and chili are my go to's and I drink a ton of protein shakes. I am averaging about 5-600 calories a day and 60-80 grams of protein. Exercise is difficult due to fatigue which im guessing is because of my low calorie intake.. so I am working on that.

Glad to see others with similiar successes and trials makes me think my feelings and struggles and crazy emotional ups and downs are somewhat "normal" in this journey

I had my surgery June 11th. I am doing great :) I have lost 50lbs and only a few pounds to being under 200lbs for the first time in 12 years!!

Glad to see others with similiar successes and trials makes me think my feelings and struggles and crazy emotional ups and downs are somewhat "normal" in this journey

100% normal Time4Me! We are all riding that crazy rollercoaster....and that is why this forum is so helpful. You can be sure if you are feeling, experiencing or worrying about something then someone (or many "someone's") will have been there before you. And you can feel a little bit less alone.

Congratulations on your excellent results!

I had my surgery June 11th. I am doing great :) I have lost 50lbs and only a few pounds to being under 200lbs for the first time in 12 years!!

That is wonderful news Cholethomas!! You look amazing in your photo and it is so good to hear you are feeling great as well!

Make sure you come back and let us know when you hit Onederland so we can celebrate with you!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Doing good but was told yesterday to eat more carbs such as potatoes, bread, pasta and rice. I think this sounds kinda strange.

Doing good but was told yesterday to eat more carbs such as potatoes, bread, pasta and rice. I think this sounds kinda strange.

Really? It does seem strange - did they give you a reason? I'm not allowed any of that until about 9 months out and then only in a very small quantity. Actually I think I will try to avoid them entirely if possible. My hubby had his surgery in 2009 and still doesn't eat potatoes, pasta, or rice - only an occasional piece of bread or oatmeal. He also hasn't gained any of his 200lbs back and I think very low carbs is a huge reason.