I tried a beginner yoga class tonight. Man, was that rough but in a good way. I couldn't begin to do all the moves but the instructor encouraged me to try what i could. I will be going back. Anyone else attempt yoga when they were still heavy? (I'm 5'3" and 265).

I've been giving serious thought to starting a class at a local gym - wish they had more convenient hours though. I believe they think anyone interested in a yoga class has to be a stay at home Mom.... not so!

Yoga was one of the first things I did post-op - I started at 1 week post-op.

I did yoga pre-op but took it easy for the first couple of weeks and gradually got back into the swing of it.

I did yoga at some of my heaviest weights, long before surgery and while pregnant with my 7 year old. I stuck to the beginner classes, so that I would be able to do do more of the positions....and I was shown some modifications. Talk about shaky muscles!

I keep wanting to get into it. My gym offers a class at 8pm 3 nights a week but I'm not sure I want to work out that last.

There are some great DVD's for those starting out with yoga and there are even some specifically aimed at puffy people (although I can't see any reason why we can't start on yoga for beginners and take it slowly).

Check out your local library.

Another bonus to yoga is that it helps keep us in tune with what our bodies are doing and feeling. For those of us who tend to have eating disorders or body dismorphic disorder, that means a lot, as we're generally out of tune. I've read a lot into the psychology of these issues and yoga is repeatedly mentioned as a huge help both mentally and physically.

I am still heavy and do yoga daily. I've never been a stretchy person (they kicked me out of gymnastics at age 5!) but I still enjoy it, nonetheless. Definitely look for modified poses for bigger bellies, as mine was an issue initially. Not so much anymore!

I adore yoga!! I've always been flexible so that helps. At my first class the instructor made sure to tel us to go at our own pace and only do the moves we felt able to do. Other than changing positions quickly I pretty much kept up. After 2 months I can now do all the moves correctly even if I'm not as fast as some of the others. I also found the class regulars to be really welcoming and helpful.

I did yoga when I weighed 324 lbs and I LOVED it. I am still doing it now and I love it even more. It is my happy place and I sometimes go 5 times a week. I have really learned to appreciate my body and what it can (and cant) do and it has really given me some balance in my life. I highly recommend it but you need to make sure you go to someone who teaches you the poses correctly because, like any exercise, if you do it wrong you could hurt yourself.

Good for you!

Hey what specific styles of yoga are you guys each talking about?  I did ashtanga yoga a few times years ago and it might have been the toughest thing I've ever done physically.  Afterward I was drenched in sweat.  I always had to use those beginner blocks because I could never get into the full poses.  Cathy is right about finding the right teacher.  Ironically some yoga teachers suffer from "tough guy syndrome" and will try to force you into poses by pushing or even sometimes standing on your back.  I'm convinced that that "style" of yoga is actually very bad for you.  Have any of you tried hot yoga because I have some strong opinions on that. :unsure:

Back in my 40's I did yoga for round bodies. Now I do a beginner gentle class with all size people. I love yoga. I have injuries and my teacher will always do a modification if needed which will give the same benefit. She challenges me and will always encourage me to go to my edge. Working with the breath will also take you further than you think you can go. I was out walking today and I was walking up the hills and I heard her voice telling me to go to my edge. I wish I could go everyday. I did purchase a DVD which I will also use. Go for it. I attribute yoga to the inches I have been losing when the weight loss slowed down. Also great for stress and healing and being still. Still trying to quiet that left brain.

Im very interested in Yoga but as usual, I fear the unknown and dont want to look like an idiot.  Im currently doing three days/wk of cardio (eliptical mostly) and some Zumba classes as well as strength training.  I started this only this past January and am nearing my 2 year surgiversary in May.  I did buy a mat.  Thats as far as ive gone on the Yoga path.  LOL  

Deb   

It is great that you tried yoga and that you are going back. Also, your instructor is of course willing to help you and show you the modified positions. It will get better each time. Just stick with it.