Ex-bandsters, question for you!

For those of you who wanted and/or had a revision after having your band removed: were you able to have the revision at the time of band removal or did you have to wait? If you had to wait, how long were you told to wait before revision?

My band was removed a week ago. Going in to the surgery, the plan was to try to revise to rny but the surgeon had told me there was a chance there would be damage and I would need to wait 6 months for the bypass. Of course there ended up being damage and inflammation from the slipped band, Dr. Is now saying maybe 12 months before revision. In the forums I'm seeing people I similar situations having surgery 2-4 months later, a few at 6 months but have yet to see anyone even mention 12 months.... My surgeon tends to be very conservative. Just wondering how conservative he's being.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I am having a revision soon and my doc will do it all in the one op. The only reason he would schedule 2 ops is if it would be too dangerous (lots of scar tissue or other complications when removing the band).

Good luck with everything, hopefully your doc can do it sooner rather than later.

I am having my band removed this tuesday and getting gastric bypass.....hopefully. My Doctor said only if my band has slipped would he not be able to do the bypass. Other than that, both will be done on Tuesday.

• 5 months later...

My surgeon also warned me that she may not be able to do the removal and the revision at the same time, depending upon what she saw when she started the procedure (laparascopically).  She said she may have also needed to open me up if things were worse than she predicted.  If she could only remove the band I would have had to wait for the conversion.  Luckily, she said things were okay and I had the revision at the same time as the band removal.

• 5 months later...

I had my band fully deflated for 6-7 weeks then removed and revised to bypass at the same time! BEST WL decision EVER..

• 1 month later...

i just had my revision on the 2nd. surgeon was able to remove band and do revision all in one surgery. didnt even mention the chance of two surgeries but perhaps he had a good idea since i had an endoscopy a few months before my surgery?? good luck to you... revision was the best decision i made... feels so much better already only 10 days out.

• 3 months later...

I am in the process to have a revision. I still need insurance approval but my doctor will remove the band and perform the surgery at the same time. He is using the da vinci robot....I hope it works and he doesn't have to do an open revision. The robot is supposed to speed up recovery time. Granted I don't even know what my insurance is going to do. But that's the plan anyway....

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had my band removed in July 2013 and am having the sleeve on 22nd April. I am glad I waited, although I have put on weight since I had the band removed it has given my stomach time to heal so hopefully I will get a better result long term.

My band had slipped and had started to erode into my stomach!

Jess

X

• 1 year later...

I had my band removed and sleeve done on May 5.  The worst thing about it is I have a huge hematoma at the site where my port was.  It is the most sore, and oozes a bloody drainage.  (sorry if TMI) I've been told by lots of former band people that the port site was the most tender. I believe it.

They removed my band and revised to Gastric Bypass all at one time.  I was warned before hand that they may not be able to revise depending on the level of scar tissue and how long it took to get the band out.  But once the doc got in there, he was able to get the band off pretty easy and revised.  So very glad I did it.

Hello

I'm new to the site, I was set on getting the lap band I just submit paperwork to insurance. Question for KIMELOU and CAMKIDS what went wrong with the lap band. Do you have any reccomendations, if you can do it all over again what will you change.

Mine had slipped, was causing major reflux, frequent vomiting.  I am very happy that I had the sleeve, wish I would have done it the first time.  I had my band for 8 years.  My sleeve is only 10 days old, so I'm not even on pureed foods yet.  But, no reflux, no vomiting...feeling close to "normal", even with the pain and swelling.  Good luck on your decision.  

That  %*#$@!  Band should be taken OFF THE MARKET,   bad bad bad EVIL Band