robmac287

Drinking after Gastric Bypass

So I am nearly two years out from surgery, I chose not to drink at all to this point, however now I have enterted the dating world again and I was asked to go out for a drink. The first time I ordered a red bull and vodka, should have remembered that redbull is loaded with caffine, made my heart feel like it was coming out of my chest, very sweaty and very bad reaction. Following week I went out and I had a white russian, okay thought this should be fine, milk doesnt bother me and kahlua and vodka should be fine, right???? well i got very sick, my stomach hurt extreamly bad, I had to go home and lay down. I started drinking water and the pain subsided in about 30 minutes. Im not a big drinker but I would like to be able to have one every once in a while, I stayed away from beer because of the sugar, are there any suggestions as far as what kinds of mixed drinks we can have, or what does not bother you??? I like to be able to cover the taste of any liquor. I loved white russian before sugery. Cant stand the smell of beer anymore it just makes me sick. Any suggestions would be helpful, my sisters wedding is in two weeks and I would like to be able to loosen up a little but am afraid to drink anything, I was thinking about testing out a drink this weekend to see how i react first. Trial and error I guess.

There is a huge amount of sugar in Kahlua and vodka metabolizes into sugar - that might have caused your distress from drinking the White Russian. Also, you need to be very careful about mixed drinks with a lot of alcohol - it gets absorbed much more quickly in bypass patients and you can be legally "drunk" from just 1 drink. One beer or glass of dry wine might be more acceptable to your pouch, but again, exercise caution. My husband is close to 3 years out from RNY and has the occasional beer at home, never when out in a situation where he might have to drive.

Wine has worked for me all I need is 1-2 glass and and I good :)

I have heard that vodka is one of the most "WLS friendly" alcohols. But I wouldn't mix with red bull because of the carbonation. That may have been what got you sick. When I did have vodka, I mixed it with Crystal Lite. But I drank it very slow and it doesnt cause a head change right away.

How bout a "Bloody Mary" light on the vodka?

That way, when you've had enough and don't want to seem odd, ask whomevers bringing the drinks to make them 'virgin". You can do that quietly and always have a drink in front of you.

I've gone out several times with friends and told the server (on the sly) to make me "virgins", they look like the real thing and I don't have to hear people telling me what's ok to drink.

You know, the WLS "experts" that know what I can and can't have.

Edited by Ready55

Oy. Hun, both red bull and kalhua are loaded with sugar. You probably had a bit of dumping.

Might I suggest vodka and cranberry juice or Captain Morgan and diet coke? I know the diet coke is carbonated, but it's fountain soda and stirred with ice. Give it another stir before you have a sip and most of the carbonation should be gone. I am able to tolerate fountain soda on ice just fine.

Gin and tonics might be a good option as well, or martinis? Though if you're used to drinking sweet and sugary drinks, you may not like those.

But, yes, I prefer wine as the others have suggested.

Oh, and I also suggest experimenting at home before you go on another date to test the waters. Or go out with a good friend who can drive you home if said experiment backfires.

Aside from the sickies, how has dating been going? GL!

Another suggestion is to order your drinks "tall." That means they put the same amount of alcohol with twice the sode/juice in a taller glass, so you'll be able to sip it longer without more alcohol. This is common for the light weight drinkers

The carbonation doesnt seem to bother me too much, I order Diet soda when I go out to dinner, I just drink it slowly and I dont get the pains. I started with the diet soda about a year after surgery and I was Okay. I try not to drink too much because it has a laxative effect though. thanks for the suggestions. I tried fruit punch with vodka and that wasnt so bad, at home... I never drive if Im drinking, I have to drive for work so I wouldnt dare think about risking getting a dui, even if I didnt feel drunk.

I thought there was minimal sugar in beer because the yeast converts it into alcohol and only a tiny bit if any would be left over in it? I know it sure doesn't have as much sugar as fruit punch or Kahlua at least!

I thought there was minimal sugar in beer because the yeast converts it into alcohol and only a tiny bit if any would be left over in it? I know it sure doesn't have as much sugar as fruit punch or Kahlua at least!

I bet it is the carbohydrate that converts to glucose.

I really don't understand the point in figuring out what you can tolerate if you're not supposed to be consuming post op at all.

I really don't understand the point in figuring out what you can tolerate if you're not supposed to be consuming post op at all.

That is all dependant on the person and what their doc says. My doc says a-ok to it at LEAST 6 months- a year out, in moderation and socially of course. Some docs say never again. It's all dependant.

Edited by Kyra112

I bet it is the carbohydrate that converts to glucose.

^^Probable huh??that would makes sense

I actually never drank before surgery. But now i do. The one thing that is good is that just like food that stays in ur pouch for an hour so does the alcohol. So i drink flavored vodka or vodka with grenadine. and after i finish my drink i follow it with water. or drink water in between sips. it helps to balance things out. Also we get tipsy faster with that pouch so the water moves it faster.

I think it is a good idea to be weary of alcohol as it is now being reported that bypass patients are 50% more likely to become alcoholics. Some are calling it a side effect. As we absorb the alcohol much faster we tend to experience a greater effect (better high) than before. I am not a prude and have certainly had my share of drinks in the past but I won't be taking this lightly.

You can view an ABC news video about this here: http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/alcoholism-side-effect-gastric-bypass-surgery-16598914

CBS News article here: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57455416-10391704/gastric-bypass-surgery-may-double-a-patients-risk-for-alcohol-problems/

ive tried flavored vodkas with vitamin water zeros. just match the vodka flavor with the water flavor and u cant even taste the vodka. now i just have an occassional guiness to good to give up forever

I've been able to tolerate Diet 7up and Seagrams and also Bloody Marys (I used V-8 instead of the premixes)

I have drunk a few times since surgery and have been okay. I get a buzz pretty quickly, but find it's much shorter-lived than before. Consequently, I can drink more over a longer period of time.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend regular consumption of alcohol. As a general rule, drinking after surgery is best avoided completely. But, we also have to live and have lives as normal as possible. For many people, drinking is a regular affair, especially in some social situations. Note I don't advocate drinking, but I understand we're also human.

You might find it best to avoid mixed drinks since they often involve sugary additives. You could get something like dry wines, nurse a light beer (mind the carbonation), or get something watered down like scotch with water or over ice, etc. You could possibly request a mojito without the sugar. One idea is just to ask a bartender (on a slow night when they have a chance to actually pay attention to you) what drinks they'd recommend that don't have a lot of sugar-based additives or fruit juices.

Good luck! Remember to be careful with alcohol for a number of reasons. Aside from potentially getting wasted far more quickly and the resultant risky behaviors that can lead to (driving, unprotected sex, beligerence, alcohol poisoning, etc.), there is legitmate concern for WLS and transfer addiction. You don't want to replace food with alcoholism. Basically, if you have to drink at all, do so safely and sensibly with a support system of friends in place as a contingency.

seriously? you were told not to consume alcohol at all ever??? .........

not me.. i was told to go ahead with alcohol 3 months post op.. i guess all our doctors are supper different

i have tried all beers, wines, wine coolers and a lot of different shots without problems..

Each doctor has his or hers own take on it, since there are no set standards for the surgery in the US.

Mine was id perfer you not drink, but I can't force you to do things against your will..

I had my surgery done in Belgium, and wine (and beer) is a very important part of life in Belgium (Belgians usually a enjoy glass or two with lunch and dinner) that my Surgeon looked positively horrified when I said "I know I won't be able to drink again" when we were discussing the consequences of the surgery.

He said "No, no, no....after 2 months you will be fine. Just no sugary drinks as mixers". :blink: My surgeon is one of the best in the world and has performed well over 8000 successful RNY surgeries (incl. a spectacularly good & problem free one on me!), so I truly believe he knows what he is talking about....BUT I also believe this advice was strongly influenced by his cultural background and the generally more relaxed and "laissez-faire" approach to life of the Belgian people.

It has been 3 months now since my surgery and I have no plans to drink again....I come from a family of big drinkers (aka "functional alcoholics") and I think I have already had my share - and I probably had your share as well :P

Plus I enjoy my life SO MUCH more without worrying about hangovers, taxis and all that tell-tale clinking during the glass recycling hahaha :ph34r:

Celebrated my birthday recently at a Mexican place and saw they had low-carb margaritas on the menu. The first one was so good I had to have another! I got a little woozy by the end of the second one, but by the time dinner was done any buzz or effects from the drinks was gone.

I got shrimp and steak fajitas, with double refried beans instead of rice and a side of guacamole. I used lettuce as wrappers instead of tortillas. I had one each of shrimp and steak topped with the grilled onions and guacamole, a bite of the beans, and then took the rest home.

I don't drink often (actually I believe I've drunk more since surgery than before....maybe I'm just getting out more), but I'm aware of how it affects me now and just work it into my plans. For instance, I drank both of the margaritas before eating dinner, because I knew I couldn't eat and drink at the same time. That also saved me from eating too many of the chips on the table.