Lindsay

Nov. 2011 August check-in: How is everyone?

How's everyone doing?

My weight is fluctuating, probably hormonal/cycle-related, and I'm still not to Onederland. I'm trying really, really hard to not let it bother me, but as you all know, that's easier said than done. SKIN is a big issue for me right now, particularly my boobs. :( Doesn't help body image at all!

I'm still struggling with some bingeing/purging, but am really working on myself in an outpatient eating disorder program. Nighttime eating, when I'm finally alone and trying to shed the stress of the day, seems to be the hardest time for me. One day at a time. :)

I let my workouts slide, but I think I'm close to being back on track. :)

I'm so glad things are going better for you Lindsey! July was tough on me. I have struggled with a low heart rate since April and had a pacemaker surgically implanted 10 days ago. I'm still in recovery mode. I should be feeling back to normal by mid to late August according to the cardiologist. I miss exercising! I'm down 93 pounds with just 6 pounds left to a normal bmi which is my goal. Any weight loss after that will just be a bonus! I lost 9 pounds in July so the weight is still coming off at a pretty good rate. I won't sugarcoat things...it's been rough for me between nausea, kidney stones and the pacemaker, but I'd likely still do the surgery over again to be a normal weight.

I feel like I am gaining and losing the same 3 lbs it is so frustrating. Other then that I am doing good

Yikes, Danelle! :( That sounds really rough! My daughter had a pacer implanted when she was 4. She was tiny, so hers is in her abdomen and they had to tunnel the leads in by spreading her ribs on the side. Nightmare! We are so glad we did it, though. We call it her "backup battery". :) She was dipping down to the 30s (way too low for a kid) and was falling and getting really disoriented. She was also having 2.5 second sinus pauses. No more! I hope it helps you as much as it has helped her!!! :)

Melissa, I've had the same issue! I thought for sure I'd be well into Onederland by now, but I'm NOT! WTHeck???

Lindsay ~ You are doing phenomenal! 117 lbs is a lot to lose in under 9 months. Don't underestimate yourself.

Danelle ~ I truly hope the road is much smoother for you from here on out.

Melissa ~ I also usually gain and lose the same 3 lbs range for a few weeks at a time, and then suddenly, one week I will weigh myself and will have lost 10 lbs. It's pretty crazy.

I, myself, am doing great. I spend about 15 - 20 hours a week at the gym and love every second of it. :)

Thanks, Dale! I am totally inspired by your gym time! I have a gym in my building, but sometimes I wish I had a trainer like once a week, just to really push me. Keep on keepin' on, lady!

I think I also need to step up my exercise :)

Thank you, Lindsay! :) I say though, there is no greater inspiration or motivator than yourself. We have to push ourselves to be who we've always thought ourselves to be if we want others to see exactly who we are and who we are meant to be.

WOW, you all are doing so great! I am at 202 pounds. Lots of skin and yes, my boobs are no longer lovely. But the good thing is that I am healthier and have lots of energy. I hope to be in ONEDERLAND, soon. I just hope I have not stopped losing. This is a constant concern for me.

Hi everyone. I too am doing the up/down thing over about 3 lbs lately. I have lost about 4 lbs in the last month though, so that's not bad - definitely slowing. The hair loss has slowed greatly, and it's growing back ok, so I look kind of normal instead of shiny on top! I'm stepping up my walking to three days a week, 30+ minutes at a good clip, so doing ok on the exercise though I could always do more. Snacking is an issue - I've allowed a few bits and bites here and there, and they tend to escalate into bad things. I do my best when I bring lots of raw vegies and fruits for lunch/snacks, plus a healthy lunch, to work, as that's my hardest time regarding the snacking.

I'm down 98 lbs from date of surgery, 128 from my highest weight, so that's good. I'd like to lose another 20 lbs, but honestly if I can just maintain I'd be satisfied where I'm at. As for the skin, well - I guess I'm getting better at tucking it in!!! Since I'm older than many of you it doesn't feel like such a big deal - I'd be getting more wrinkly even if I hadn't lost the weight, at this point, though some areas are rather extreme.

You all sound like you are doing well, generally, with some really overcoming some substantial hurdles of late - congratulations to you!!! At this point, my thinking is we need to adapt to living this for the long run. We may well lose more, especially the closer we stick to our eating plans, but it will almost certainly be slower. That's ok - slow is still going in the right direction. It's when we see ourselves going up that we need to be careful, which is what makes the up/down thing nerve-wracking. I have a sense that switching things up will help now - trying different foods in different combinations, different exercises, different activities, to avoid boredom.

Hang in there, guys - you have done so well, be proud, and keep going in the right direction!

Judy

Judy, YES! Living this for the long run...you are so right. I can't believe we're coming up on a year. That just blows my mind because I still feel like it was yesterday. Now really is the time to start thinking about the real "life changes" and how to make it all work for the rest of our lives.

Thanks for keeping in touch, everyone! It's nice to see our progress and it's really nice to have friends at the same stage time-wise to share with and bounce around ideas/problems. :)

I know it's been a while since I've been on the November boards. You are all doing AMAZING and should be so proud of yourselves!! I'm doing ok. I'm done 95 pounds. I'm trying hard to get the next 5 off to finally say I've lost 100 pounds. I know eventually it will happen but it's slow.

Over the past couple of months I have joined a gym. I try to get there 5 days a week. I meet with a trainer one of those days, and do cardio classes the other time. I see a lot of changes in myself but the scale is not moving.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Hey guys!

I haven't posted in such a long time either thought I would update. I started at almost 400 pounds when my journey started. Today I weigh 292! I have lost a total of 102 pounds. I was a size 32 when I started and now I am a size 26 fittng loose!! Weight loss has slowed down for me now and I admit I wish I had lost more. But I am not too disappointed!! Shedding those 100 pounds has made my life so much easier. I can't begin to tell you guys how much my quality of life has improved. I have become a more social person, I stopped being the reclusive hermit I was. I am living again and that to me is a huge difference. The weight loss has touched every aspect of my life for the better and I am just so happy I had it done. I feel like the old me is back and I can't explain how wonderful that feels. =)

Food and vitamin wise I am doing well. I still have problems eating some foods but that is ok by me cause they are usually the bad stuff I shouldn't be eating anyways. Like bread, tortillas and pasta. My pouch is on patrol 24/7 and he does not let the bad stuff through. lol I love my pouch!! Gonna be joining a gym too to increase tone and weight loss. I admit I hadn't been doing it as much as I should due to getting a job and working long hours. But now my shedule changed to Monday through Friday! So gym here I come!!!

<3 Much love and hugs to all!! Keep up the great work ya guys we can do this!!!!!

Sounds like everyone is doing great! :) I love hearing how my fellow November 2011 WLS peeps are doing.