Sign in to follow this  
Debby45

Is it easier to gain weight?

Once you have the gastric bypass and your stomach is much smaller, after the honeymoon phase, will it be easier for us to gain weight than before? I hope this makes sense.

That is a good question and I have wondered the same thing. Maybe someone further out or more knowledgeable about such things can help? :)

Message cinwa this question. She will know.

I am really socked that nobody has an answer to this. I will ask my Doctor when I see him in a couple weeks.

After the honeymoon period, our absorption of calories is the same and certainly for me, it's as easy to gain weight now as it always has been so I still have to be careful about my choices of foods.

I hear it's easier gaining weight again if you've been heavier before because your cells that stored the fat, even if the fat was burned, the cells still have the memory of being able to store the fat easily.

:/ Its why many people struggle with a maintaining preiod as well. But this is all from biology I'm not sure if it works exactly that way but that's how the info was taught to me.

There are chances of weight regain in almost 95% of gastric bypass patients. The good news , it is much easier to fix and it doesn't require an operation! The first step to the process of weight regain is to get in to see your surgeon so he/she can figure out which category you fall into. Once they have that figured out they can direct you on how best to get on track again!

Just remember that this is a Tool to help up gain loose weight. If you abuse the tool then you can definitively gain your weight back. One of the most common gains is starting to drink with eating again, if you keep that in mind and follow with proper eating exercise and not drink until at least a half hour after eating then you will be OK. We will all have our mishaps and such but you had this procedure done to make you a better person and start your life over again. If you try to keep that in mind you will do great. I also find out going to the support groups in the area also help me. It keeps me on track as much as possible.