Sign in to follow this  
patypal

lower body lift

Hi I really want to get alower bodylift with an anchor cut up the toward the breast bone. I hear it is not recommended due to where the cuts would meet could hav difficulties healing. I have lost 172lbs and most of my weight was in my midsection and I know just having a lower body lift with the horizontel cut will not give me a decent result (as i have researched on internet I know the desired result I want). I dont want an open wound the months but I dont want to spends thousands to be unhappy.

Patti

Dear Patypal,

Thanks for your question.

You are correct that although most abdominal panniculectomy procedures can be done very well with only a horizontal incision, sometimes and additional vertical one is necessary.

Although this can improve resulting shape, it does add a whole new scar, which is not easily hidden given its location.

Also, there is a potential for delayed healing and open wounds at the corner where the vertical and horizontal incisions meet.

The best time to make a decision between the two procedures is intraoperatively, when your surgeon can first use a horizontal incision only and assess if there is enough extra tissue left in the middle to necessitate an extra vertical incision.

I recommend you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so they can be addressed to your satisfaction prior to surgery, and so your surgeon can amend his/her plan as necessary.

Hope that helps!!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD

Dear Rosie,

Thanks for your question.

Properly staffed and accredited surgical centers are just as safe as hospitals for most procedures, depending on the anticipated recovery time and overall patient health.

It sounds like you are a healthy person so you would probably be a good candidate for outpatient surgery at the surgery center, but this would of course ultimately be your surgeon's decision after he/she has completely reviewed your medical history.

Before comparing the two different surgeons' recommendations, make sure they are describing the same procedure.

For example, some surgeons would include a thigh lift in a "lower body lift" procedure.

There is no standard definition for a "lower body lift" or a "total body lift" and many surgeons use these words to describe completely different procedures.

It is possible that the second surgeon's lower body lift is more complex and invasive than the first's, so he/she chooses to do it at the hospital.

In my own practice, I prefer a staged approach to bariatric reconstruction procedures, with each stage lasting less than six hours of operating room time.

I usually recommend overnight hospital or surgery center admission for nursing care depending on the length of the procedure.

For example, I would perform your lower body lift as one stage, and your breasts, arms and upper back as a second stage, with overnight stays after each stage.

This is just my personal preference and does not mean that any other surgeon's approach is unsafe, unethical or below standard of care.

It sounds like both surgeons are equally qualified (hopefully they are both board certified in plastic surgery) so ultimately it comes down to which surgeon you trust more...

Hope that helps.

Good luck with everything!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD

Hi Dr Gupta. Yes, both surgeons are board certified in plastic surgery. Thank you for your reply; I really appreciate it. Rosie

ps- For someone like me, a 5ft 1 woman, who was over 300lbs, I would never have had the sleeve done, which has resulted in the massive weight loss and a much healthier lifestyle, if I knew I would have to be stuck with the resulting disfigured body for the rest of my life. I am so appreciative that surgeons like you that are able make me look somewhat "normal" again.