Yep I felt like a million dollars with that morphine drip, I was wired instead of tired and couldn't sleep. The nurse was like wow you had surgery today. I was released Today with tylenol and codine, I feel like a painfull bloated train wreck now! What did I do to myself? I can only eat jello and broth at this point and I burp between every sip of water and it hurts. Please tell me it gets better.

It will get a lot better each day. Congrats on your new journey and good luck!

It gets better quickly! Take it easy but make sure you get up and do a couple of laps through the house every 2-3 hours so you don't develop a blood clot. Keep sipping on those fluids!

Yes, it does get better. I will be 14 days post op tomorrow and I feel great. I notice that you had your surgery at Kaiser as well. I work at Kaiser West LA and I had my surgery there as well. Good luck to you.

I had my surgery the day before you. Yesterday the gas pains were pretty bad for me, could hardly get out of bed... but today was a lot better. Still having trouble getting my liquids in though.

I am anxious to move forward!!

Good luck!

Oh yes it gets better! And pretty quickly too.. It's a full time job at first trying to get your fluids in etc.. Just make sure to sip, tiny sips. What helped me was measuring the 4 oz per hour in a small cup ( I bought some tiny baby bottles because they had measures on them) and that way I could tell how I was doing ALL the time. It was nearly impossible to tell if it was in a water bottle or something like that... Once you fall behind, there's no making it up in the beginning. Don't worry that wont last either, I drink normally again now. Another thing that helped was when I took a sip, I would squeeze my cheeks together and push out the air in my mouth before swallowing, that kept me from swallowing air and getting bloated or burping. lastly, warmer things (not hot) went down much better. The closer to my body temp, the better it went down, less shock to my tender system. Hope this helps. keep your head up, it's sooo worth it! Good luck!

The sip-sip-sip thing can generate a lot of excess gas and remembering to exhale before putting a tumbler to your mouth is difficult.

A lot of us found that using a straw early out significantly reduced the amount of air taken in with drinking. Surgeons/NUTs often say no to straws because they state it increases gas issues but that is definitely not the case. I asked my surgeon about it and he confessed that he didn't really have any proof and suspected the whole thing about discouraging straws was probably because straws usually come with a big old soda attached to them.

Toddlers sippy cups with a valve to stop spillage is something I'd recommend. You can get them from Walmart etc.

I hope things are becoming a little easier Glocks.

Thanks, I may try the straw today. I was attached to my acrylic tumbler before surgery and I definatly feel dehydrated since, I do have a toddler so I might try her sippy as well. Thank you,

Now I am craving the vegetable soup they served in the hospital I had my mom chase the cook down but I cant find it on line and everything my husband brought home isn't very good. I wish I could drive myself. I am going to go for my walk before it gets to hot. Thanks everyone.

Glocks I promise it gets better EVERY SINGLE DAY! Do the walking though and often because those gases will make you very uncomfortable. The Gas X strips work if you need them, but the walking does take care of it if done often enough. Try s/f popsicles and fudgesicles to help keep you hydrated. I made top ramen because I like the broth and my kids ate the noodles while I got the broth. I couldn't find any canned soups I liked either, except for Trader Joe's Tomato. I drank all of my water at room temp. the cold water hurt my stomach for the first couple of weeks.

Hang in there it gets better.

Ok it's much easier with a straw! Thanks

Great suggestions! I was released yesterday, surgery was on Wednesday. Was plagued with nausea and vomiting old blood during the morphine and then again when i got home. Today has been better, but every little burp hurts my left shoulder blade like a stabbing knife! I pray for ' regular' flatulence....rather it come out, then up!!

I feel so badly for both of you !!! I hope you get relief quickly !!!

Burps do hurt, ok so I haven't had a BM since before surgery. I took milk of magnesia but it hasn't helped yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if TMI.

My dr told me four days before a bm, and the meds will make it more difficult. Need aescription of gas versus belly pain. My chest hurts, feels compressed at times, for 5 seconds or more, is that 'gas', the stuff that will work out or is that the pain in the new pouch receiving fluids??

Heyy. Im Heidi and im 2days post op, sleeve. My surgery was done on an outpatient status which upset me quite abit since my pain was uncontrolled . Today, I am feeling a little tiny bit better. I agree with all of you on having the pain while drinking..its ridiculous The amnt of gas that you have to get out after one sip. Lol. I have been walking around burping my self like tapping in my chest and my back, it really helps. I slept with a heating pad on my shoulder due to a horrendous pain deep down as well . I woke up with it feeling normal.woohoo. . My doc prescribed me dilaudid pain meds and it has helped so much. . . Im trying to find a happy median on the fluid intake. Im sipping on Isopure protein drinks, Gatorade,broth and semi melted Popsicles. . Im confused on the "creamy soups" ..i thought they had to be lactose milk free...but im not sure..what has worked for you??

Wow out patient! that is crazy I would have freaked out! Today I went to lunch with husband and ordered some clam chowder and just dipped my spoon as not to get chunks I didn't have problems with it, I then brought the rest home and blended it. You sure realize how salty things are when you can't drink water with meals. I can't drink the isopure clears the grit on the tongue is bad, I used it to make jello and it's still there.

I think it's from drinking fluids I get it from clearing my throat, but not sure

Hey newbies hope you are all three doing well!

Glocks - the question regarding the BM - I had surgery on Monday and no BM until Sat. Its normal because you aren't really eating anything to cause one...

The gas issues - walk and also it helps if you lean over the back of chair or on kitchen counter and have someone rub your back, it moves the air bubbles around. Don't worry they are gone within a couple of days.

I only get the weird air bubbles in my stomach now, I think it's either hunger or thirst. I was just uncomfortable about no BM for a few days I stopped taking my pain meds and that really helped.

Edited by glocks90

The pain meds make it hard to have a normal BM, but I don't remember feeling constipated or uncomfortable because I wasn't eating anything. Eventually when it happened, it was fine and I felt fine. You both will continue to feel exponentially better each day, hang in there.

GLOCKS: A delay in your first BM is normal.Codeine causes constipation, and your not eating much of anything. But as a person who dealt with some SERIOUS Constipation issues post surgery, be for-warned it can turn into a not so plesant issue. So PLEASE make sure you are taking your Stool softener! I'd even recommend you buy some MiraLax. Helps keep things moving, and works as a stool softener as well.

Thanks I am ok now. Was actually PMS and i was just feeling bloated I guess.