Head Hunger...How do I win?

What can I do to win over the head hunger that got me here in the first place. The last few days have been such a struggle as I am having strong desires for unhealthy food choices. Will I ever win over this battle?

Are you able to distract yourself by reading or some other activity?

Do you have a favorite hobby that you often don't have time for? When head hunger rears it's ugly head (ha ha, sorry, bad joke), I take it as a sign that I am supposed to be cross-stitching. I never seem to have enough time for it and since using head hunger as my cue to work on my current project, I've gotten it nearly finished. I started it nearly 3 years ago!! ROFL!

Really though, I just try to distract myself until it passes. If that doesn't work, I will fix a cup of broth or tea and sip that.

Stay strong! You CAN beat the head hunger. ((HUGS))

I'm struggling with head hunger as well, trying to avoid falling back into bad habits. I'm meeting with my NUT today to see if she has tips about how to combat this. I'll post tonight if I learn something new.

I think we all struggle with this but what I'm finding helpful is to stop and address the elephant in the room when it hits. What is really going on? What am I really wanting? Why?

Yesterday I got hustled out on a shopping trip by my 16 year old who needed clothes. Then we went to the grocery store. In the meantime, I have 3 important business letters to write that are going to take research and admin stuff, about 4 loads of laundry to do, vacuuming, etc. and I'm low in iron right now so very tired. We came in with 1 hour to do something before I had to run to do the school pick up and I found myself rummaging through the 'crap drawer' (full of bread, chips, croissants, etc. that the kids eat). I realized what I was doing and stopped and figured it out. I was tired, overwhelmed, had no energy and tons to do and was reaching for my old medicine, carbs to give me the sugar rush to do things.

6 months ago, I would have loaded up, whizzed around and gotten a bunch of chores done. This time I grabbed some water and a book and sat outside in the sun, resting and recharging.

The chore list is still there today but you know what? It doesn't really matter. I'll get it done and I'll be fine doing it.

I actually embrace the head hunger. If I deny myself thinking about a food I used to eat then it seems I want it more. I don't give in though. I'll look at the food, smell it, remember the good times with it and then remind myself "yep, this crap cost you arthritis in your knees, uncomfortable clothes and insecurity" That usually turns me off to it in no time.

I'm with LilyBet. What is happening??....consume that question as an appetizer before the meal. BORED, SAD, HABIT, FRUSTRATION, CONTROL, HELPLESS....then eat that first by dealing with it....it will pay you back...you may experience a bit of pain along the way, but trust me when I say its likely less than the pain associated with guilt, shame and disappointment you will stricken yourself with afterward. Get curious! Stay well.

Thanks everyone! I will work at understanding why I'm going thru it when I do.

Today the NUT revised some of my protein and carb goals, tweaked the times for my snacks and said I should make sure I'm getting enough protein (not usually a problem) and fluids (sometimes a problem). I had to eat in front of her, I had to scoop some yogurt into a bowl and have it and some cheese cubes as a snack. That was very revealing: I should not eat so fast, chew my food more and go back to measuring my food. What I eyeballed as the right amount of yogurt was way over.

She also said I should note in my food diary what is going on when I eat: am I upset about something that has happened? So her advice is much like that from Lilybet and Reunited Jess! Before we succumb to head hunger, think first about WHY we want to eat.

:D

I notice my head hunger increases when I skimp on my protein and allow carbs to creep in, when I don't get enough fluids, and when I don't keep my food diary (which is when I skimp on protein and indulge in carbs). Making sure I keep my food log (I use caloriecount.about.com) gets me back on track because I DO NOT like to see myself miss my goals on the record.

I think something (within my allowed diet of course). The great thing about tea is it comes in some many different flavors I can find one to meet my needs.

I notice my head hunger increases when I skimp on my protein and allow carbs to creep in, when I don't get enough fluids, and when I don't keep my food diary (which is when I skimp on protein and indulge in carbs). Making sure I keep my food log (I use caloriecount.about.com) gets me back on track because I DO NOT like to see myself miss my goals on the record.

I could not agree more! This is absolutely true for me too.