I am doing so well on the pre-op diet, I am rethinking surgery

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should I have the surgery or try this new diet?

• Try the new diet with 2 shakes and a sensible dinner
    • Have the surgery

I have been on the pre-op diet for a week and a half and I have already lost 22 pounds. I am doing 3 protein shakes a day and 2 cups of broccoli, although some days I skip the broccoli, which has been okay'ed by my doctor. It has been pretty easy on me so far. I do not get hungry all that often, and when I do, the protein shake more than fills me up. The only think I have been craving is a boiled cheeseburger (homemade). 2 days ago, I took my daughter to Chuck E. Cheese and there was a pizza sitting right in front of me on the table, and I was smelling it and thought how wonderful a bite of it would taste, but I kept to my water.

I have never been on a diet that involves protein shakes before. It is so easy. I think I have failed at other diets because I hate cooking. Now they have these frozen precooked chicken breasts in the freezer section I could eat with some veggies for dinner and drink my protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. Do you think this is something doable? My surgery is this Friday. If I want to give this diet a try on my own, I have to wait another year for the surgery. I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Jen

I would go ahead with your surgery. We've all done well on a diet for a few months when either something stressful happens and you cheat, or the holidays come around, and you cheat. I've done the protein shakes before, and they're easy, but eventually you do get sick if them. You're so close to your surgery date, my guess is you're just having cold feet. :-)

Have the surgery...that drastic weight loss during pre-op is the fat coming off of your liver to make a lapriscopic procedure more likely

You can't subsist on protein shakes and broccoli...

You would need to be able to keep at it for months, I think most of our issues is we can start a diet, but can't keep up with it as there are no consequences if we falter back to our bad ways. With surgery there are consequences, that's why you keep at it.

Just my 2 cents. I lost 60 pre surgery, but wouldn't trade surgery for anything...

best decision i've ever made.

And... plus you can't look at it as a "diet" it's a lifestyle change. Can you drink 3 protein shakes and eat broccoli for ever?

It's something you truly want to think about. Consider your dieting history and the likelihood sustaining a protein shake diet for as long as it takes to lose the weight. Afterwards, what would your plan be for maintenance. Like the previous members have said, we do well for a time and then something happens that derails us. I am happy that you are doing well on the pre-op diet, but I don't know how much longer anyone can consume only protein shakes and veggies.

T

A warning from one who did exactly what you are contemplating... it probably won't work. I did the same thing a couple of years ago. After having the surgery cancelled on me the evening before it was scheduled, I decided not to re-schedule. I actually lost 121 pounds in one year, and was so elated. But the bad habits were still there, and without a tool (GBS) to help me stay in check, along with all the help here, and at the hospital, support group meetings, etc., I have gained almost all of it back after going "off the diet." If you try it on your own, and if you happen to decide it is not working, please, for your own sake, come back to having the surgery. I wish I had done this 20 years ago...

Best to you, whatever you decide.

Leora

Jen - if there's one shred of you that thinks you can continue to lose the weigh on a liquid diet, then there's no harm in postponing your WLS. I certainly wouldn't cancel totally though.

Having a 35+ year history of morbid obesity, I've been on every diet known to man (and probably invented a few on the way). And one thing I excel at is losing weight. Unfortunately, maintaining it proved impossible and I always gained it all back (plus a few extra pounds added for extra measure).

Most people can stick with a pre-op liquid diet short term - shifting another 160ish pounds on liquids is another thing altogether.

I felt the same way,....tasted success, had never tried protein shakes, got sassy and considered cancelling surgery and then I remembered, i felt like this with Jenny, Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Herbalife, Atkins, etc!! Surgery is tomorrow, and am moving forward on, did the head work, adopted exercise, and have earned the tool to be successful, long term! Good luck to you!

I've been on a Roller Coaster with my weight since college (over 20 years ago). I'm on Day 2 of the liquid diet and its not all that great. I know me and I need a tool to help me loose and keep the weight off.

Your Surgery Date is close by. I think you have cold feet.

My surgery is in two weeks. I have to do it. I want to live a better life.

Please think hard on your decision. I wish you well.

Edited by PG-NewLife

I hope you do not cancel it ! This is just short term weight loss. Drinking shakes the rest of your life would be depressing and unrealistic. Think of all the appointments you had to go through to get approved ! You can do this !

Sorry to say that your chance of losing the weight AND keeping it off statistically are slim to none.

Many of us have lost large amounts of weight but it always comes back. I had lost 30-40 pounds quickly and easily dozens of times and it ALWAYS returns with a few more friends.

A week and a half is a VERY short period of time and is no indication of what your long term success would be on the diet.

I wish I had had the surgery when I was 29 and not 40, boy would my life be different!

However, there is nothing wrong with postponing it until you are a 100% ready, but you're probably just having " normal" cold feet.

Good luck!

This is a huge decision and I don't feel right advising you one way or the other. I do want to echo one specific point raised earlier though and that it nutrition. What you are doing now will work on the short term, but you will be deficient in nutrition if you aren't able to lose by eating more variety. Also, you said nothing about exercise. To lose the kind of weight you are aiming for it will take real body movement. I'm not talking about a 20 minute walk around the park either. I mean a totally sweaty, get your heart rate up and keep it up, move with everything you have kind of workout on a very regular basis.

• 2 months later...

to rapid a weight loss in a short amount of time pre op isn't good and it's probably water weight. stick with the surgery. i dropped 15 pounds in 3 days in the hospital just in fluid...don't be fooled....

The pre-op diet is just that, a short term diet intended for a specific purpose - to shrink your liver enough to make your surgery safer. It was never intended to be a long term diet in and of itself. There really isn't any way a normal person could maintain it month after month. All of us here realized we had an unhealthy relationship with food and that this tool is necessary to help us get to a point where we can deal with eating in a healthy way. We've all tried to do it on our own and failed many times.

What if you gave up your chance for surgery and fell off the diet within a couple of months (which is highly likely statistically)? I think you would really regret it (just my two cents worth....)

Which protein shakes taste good

Bottom line - it just boils down to personal taste but I'd recommend you don't buy too much of anything because it's not unusual to find that what you liked pre-op, you might not like post-op.

My favourite is Syntrax Nectar - you can get an 11 sample pack of your choice from BJ's. I'm a shake type of gal but they have fruity flavours too: http://www.bjsbariatrics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bjb&Product_Code=synSamplePack&Category_Code=

BugdocMom posted a link to Nashua Nutrition recently. A little more expensive but they have a wide selection of protein powders to choose from: http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

Vitalady has an enormous selection of protein samples too: http://vitalady.com/protein-information/

Thank you ladies for the great suggestions and links ! I'm a month away and trying to stock up on samples and your suggestions are priceless to me. I know we all have different tastes and ours will change too . But its a great to hear from so many people who are sharing their favorites and best deals . I'm trying to choose portable cups, shakers, blenders , ect if anyone can recommend any .