Anyone else NOT lose weight before surgery?

ChefMissy

I am on month 5 of the "doctor monitored weight loss efforts" phase that my insurance requires. I am nervous because I haven't lost any weight at all. In fact, I have gained five pounds this month because I hurt my knee and was very limited in the activities I could do for three weeks. This past week I began exercising 30 mins a day again and have manged to lose a couple pounds ... but I'm worried. Does NOT losing weight - or even gaining - during the 6 month "attempt" phase hurt you? Does it make a difference at all? On one hand I would think that not losing, or gaining, would help your case because you've "failed" at the attempt ... on the other hand I wonder if failing to lose, or gaining a little, makes it seem that you will not be a good surgery candidate. Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing lol.

A little about me, in case you're wondering .... (I'll try to keep it brief ... here's the synopsis) ... I lost 187 pounds on my own (healthy eating and exercise) six years ago. I had a baby, husband lost his job in the auto industry crash, lost my home to foreclosure, moved a thousand miles away to stay with my horrid MIL while trying to re-establish my life and the lives of my husband and children ... in the end became homeless, put myself through school while living in a shelter, graduated top of my class, became a pastry chef, regained housing and stability but also regained more weight in the process. (Whew, that was a whirlwind of a sentence, huh?) I was once 400 pounds, got down to 213, had a baby, and hovered between 245 and 260 for several years until all the devastation mentioned above came upon me. I am now at 317 pounds and have decided to have weight loss surgery. Like I mentioned above, in on month 5 of the 6 month process.

Don't worry if you don't lose weight. You will have the needed documentation that your insurance needs that shows you are trying. Not everyone loses weight during the 6months. And those that do panic. As my surgeon told me when I asked him , "well what If I lose enough that I no longer qualify" his response...." then make sure you don't lose or lose minimal"

I lost 12 pounds during my 3 month supervised diet, but then just as we were getting ready to submit to insurance, hubby's got a job promotion and we moved out of state. I decided to take a breather and make sure surgery was what I really wanted. Six months later when I had the surgery I had gained 15 pounds. Neither the insurance or my surgeons office blinked an eye. I do wish I had started at the lower weight, I would be that much closer to where I want to go, but in this journey, I am learning that my wants rarely get me where I need or truly desire to be. For now, my body is in charge of me, and through twelve steps I am learning to give up the illusion of control I thought I had over the rest of my life. It is a scary journey, but little by little I am learning to go with the flow. Do your best to treat yourself in a healthy way leading up to surgery and the numbers will be whatever the numbers will be. Once you have the surgery there are so many other things to think about, like vitamins and water intake and grams of protein and minutes of exercise. I couldnt fathom before surgery how all that wouldnt feel just like every other diet, including preop. But it doesn't. It's more like stuff you just do because you have to, like my friends who have allergies to certain foods, they don't long for a food, they avoid it because it makes them feel unwell. Plus there is no - oh screw it- option after surgery, I don't want to do this, put energy into it, I am just going to eat what I want. It is more work to eat wrong than to eat healthy now, and the consequences , at least for me, are immediate, not just the vague notion of weight gain, but really being unwell within 30 minutes.

5 months and no weight loss, I'm curious about what they have you eating?? Keep focused, stay true to yourself, and move forward, obviously you persevere through anything that comes your way!!

I lost 90 lbs. on the 3 month modified liquid diet the docs had me on, so I can't be of any help. Perhaps a stricter diet would help? I do know from reading articles, that part of the reason they want you to lose weight prior to surgery is 1) it helps shrink your liver and deal with any fatty liver problems, and 2) the more you manage to lose prior to surgery, the better your chances of success are, afterwards--the more you're likely to lose, and the more likely you are to keep it off. Maybe it's time to ask your surgeon or doctor if perhaps they should recommend a different pre-op diet?

I followed my program pre-op and didn't loose any weight either. I mainly mainted but about a month before surgery, I actually gained 10 lbs and no one said anything. Just do your very best and know that what ever you loose before hand is less to loose after your surgery.

I think that alot of this depends on different doctors or clinics, in what they do or dont do. I think alot depends on if you have things going on like sleep apnea or high blood pressure. I gained 8 pounds and they didnt say anything about it but I have both, or should I say used to have high blood pressure. Good luck!!!