mussakka

Strength Training and Cardio--What's Your Schedule?

For those who do both strength training (weight lifting) and cardio work (such as walking, cycling, aerobics, etc.), how do you arrange your schedule?

Do you alternate the strength with the cardio or do both on the same day?

Right now, I'm doing strength training on Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday and vigorous walking on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and/or Saturday. Usually I take one day a week off to rest, which means I'm moving/exercising 6 days a week.

What's your routine like? Any advantages/disadvantages to doing both on the same day or is alternating a better option?

I avarage 6 days working out , one day off. on a good week my routine is cardio every day I work out. I worm up with a two mile run, or the stairs to heaven machine for 10 minutes. I do weights and abs for 30 minutes then I end with cardio for 30 minutes such as running again or cycling.

one of my six days will consist of a long 6 mile run, then hitting abs for about 20 minutes thats all.

when I weight train I am alternating muschle groups each day. always let a set of muscels have at least a day break. although I do abs about four times a week. Core work is critical to support balance and your back.

I am bumping up this old thread because this is my question too.

My dad said you shouldn't do strength training everyday or the whole body at least.  He said if I was wanting to do strength every day then alternate between just lower body one day and upper body the next.  Anyone know how valid this is?  Basically I have the same questions as the OP:  do you do cardio and strength both in the same day or do you alternate?

I go four days a week. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. On Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday, I do an hour of cardio and an upper and lower body weight circuit. On Thursdays, I do Zumba only. Every other day of the week, I'm in class from 9 to 5 and fatigue kicks in, though I probably should at least walk more on those days.