August Surgery Date

So excited to see an August 2012 on here... that means it's getting closer!

August 21st is my date. Anyone else?

It is very exciting! (but also like antsy exciting, if you know what I mean) :) I hope you can join me soon with your own August date! I've been working towards this for almost 8 months and to finally see the clearing in the path is mind numbing (in a good way).

I haven;t got my surgery date yet. I have one more diet appoin July 6 and i one more class July 21st. Then i am finished everything,,,,,,,,,,,,, how long does it usually take to get a date once you are done everything,,,,,,,,,, I am anxious also, it;s been a long time coming and I am so ready......

@Robin - I think that every insurance & Dr has a different process. Once all my meetings, classes and such were done... the earliest schedule date they could give me was 2 months away. I've read other people's posts though that seem to be much faster. Does your process have a POC for bariatrics? That person can usually give you an idea of time frame so that you can start managing work/life balances you'll need for around the surgery date. Hang in there... you're SO close :)

@Even.... Congrats! I've got that antsy excitement feeling too! Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep me posted on how you're pre-op liquid diet goes. I hear the first 3 days are tough, but after that it settles down. Thank you for going first :P

So excited to see an August 2012 on here... that means it's getting closer!

August 21st is my date. Anyone else?

I'm set for August 21st as well :D

I am set for August 17th! That was the earliest date in August they could give me.

I am currently scheduled for August 10th. I am worried I am not giving myself enough time to recover before having to go back to work. How many days are you planning to take off from work after your surgery?

I'm set for August 21st as well :D

Yay! We're surgery date buddies now :P Are you doing the 2 week pre-op liquid diet? The first few days sound tough so we can both vent if we need to :P

I am currently scheduled for August 10th. I am worried I am not giving myself enough time to recover before having to go back to work. How many days are you planning to take off from work after your surgery?

Hi Aunt Beck... my surgeon wanted me to take 4 weeks off, but I talked him down to 3 since my work is pretty sedetary. It sounds like the hardest part of going back to work is adjusting to the food changes. If you have alot of flexibility at work (like I can snack whenever or walk away from my desk at any time) I think it's easier to go back sooner. How much time have you scheduled off?

I am set for August 17th! That was the earliest date in August they could give me.

Welcome to the August group NaturalGal! Hard to believe it is all just "next" month now!

Yay! We're surgery date buddies now :P Are you doing the 2 week pre-op liquid diet? The first few days sound tough so we can both vent if we need to :P

Yay! :D

I don't know yet actually. Both my surgeon and my nutritionist want me to stick to Nutrilett to help lose the last required lbs before the surgery, so for now I'm on a shake diet. Going in on August 10th to meet the whole team and have some final tests done and stuff, so I'll have to wait and see if they'll put me on a liquid diet then, or if these shakes actually are my liquid diet lol

And yeah, always good to have someone who can relate to what you're going through :)

Yay! :D

I don't know yet actually. Both my surgeon and my nutritionist want me to stick to Nutrilett to help lose the last required lbs before the surgery, so for now I'm on a shake diet. Going in on August 10th to meet the whole team and have some final tests done and stuff, so I'll have to wait and see if they'll put me on a liquid diet then, or if these shakes actually are my liquid diet lol

And yeah, always good to have someone who can relate to what you're going through :)

I'm just calorie counting and exercising. My program does not have a 'set' weight loss requirement, but I'd like to drop another 10 before the surgery. I'm going in on the 25th for my pre-op clinic visit and pre-op group session, that's when I'll learn all the details for the liquid diet portion and then I'll start that on the 7th of August. It's so very exciting!

I'm just calorie counting and exercising. My program does not have a 'set' weight loss requirement, but I'd like to drop another 10 before the surgery. I'm going in on the 25th for my pre-op clinic visit and pre-op group session, that's when I'll learn all the details for the liquid diet portion and then I'll start that on the 7th of August. It's so very exciting!

Do you ever have any problems finding that inner kick in the butt, to get yourself up and exercising? I've been struggling with that a lot over the past months, and for me, it's mostly because I have no one to keep me company while I exercise.

Wishing you the best of luck with the pre-op visit and group session :) Sounds like what I'll be doing on the 10th

I took off for two weeks but I also have the option for short term disability through work if I can't come back that quickly! I hope I'm only out two weeks! I only have to do a 1 week liquid diet which I will be starting in three weeks. Time is flying by so fast! I'm trying to remember what I want to eat before I can't anymore! LOL... Thankfully I have been working on my eating habits for a few months now and I'm very protein oriented. Don't want to sabotage myself!!!

Someone mentioned working out... I just started two weeks ago. The hospital I work at has a gym and I go there. It took me almost eight months to go back after I signed up but a friend at work was going and I asked her if I could join. Of course she is like 100 pounds of skinny..LOL...but I am okay with the fact that I am slow and have to be careful of my sciatica and back problems. Now I can go on my own without the anxiety that I used to feel. I've been trying to do an hour a day Mon-Fri......but sometimes it feels so good I want to stay longer but I have dogs and a man at home.......so have to learn how to juggle health and life! My health needs to come first so that I can live a happier and more fit life! In any case....I bring my iphone and watch girly sitcoms on hulu plus and it makes the time go by quickly...

So far so good! We can doooooooooooooo it! :P

Exercise has been really hard for me too. I work a very sedentary job and I tried walking to work, but it rains too much here to not show up drenched. I have a treadmill at home, but it's the motivation that is really hard for me. So I'm off today and decided to re-arrange my room to make it more treadmill friendly :) Putting a shelf for the iPad in front of the treadmill so I too can watch girly sitcomes and moving my nightstand 2 feet away so I have to stand up to turn off the alarm (for morning workouts). I also am dusting off the old pedometer and setting a goal of 10,000 steps per day. (I know the ONLY way I can get that in a normal work day is to exercise) I'm trying to decide on my reward for doing 10K for 21 days (that takes me to my pre-op appt).

Next week I am also going to start water aerobics once a week. I just rush from the dressing room to the pool... once below the water no one cares what I look like :P

I agree with J - We CAN do it! Here's to staying focused and making these habits for life!

Hi Aunt Beck... my surgeon wanted me to take 4 weeks off, but I talked him down to 3 since my work is pretty sedetary. It sounds like the hardest part of going back to work is adjusting to the food changes. If you have alot of flexibility at work (like I can snack whenever or walk away from my desk at any time) I think it's easier to go back sooner. How much time have you scheduled off?

Right now it is 11 days. Days 12 and 13 would be half days of work. Day 14 would be a full day and 15 and 16 would be the weekend. These are the first days of school so pretty important not to miss. However, I can get a substitute if I have to. I am on summer break so I have plenty of time to prepare and plan and have everything ready to go for the first few weeks of school prior to surgery. It is pretty flexible in terms of being able to walk or sit and snack as needed. My surgeon has said it is OK if I plan to mostly sit for the first weeks.

I am nervous because I think I am pushing it a little. I had wanted the beginning of August but that wasn't available. I want to get it done this calendar year to be sure my insurance coverage doesn't change before surgery. As a teacher, that leaves me with before school or Christmas break. The idea of spending my Christmas this way is pretty depressing to me and only gives me 3 more days. The situation isn't ideal.

Right now it is 11 days. Days 12 and 13 would be half days of work. Day 14 would be a full day and 15 and 16 would be the weekend. These are the first days of school so pretty important not to miss. However, I can get a substitute if I have to. I am on summer break so I have plenty of time to prepare and plan and have everything ready to go for the first few weeks of school prior to surgery. It is pretty flexible in terms of being able to walk or sit and snack as needed. My surgeon has said it is OK if I plan to mostly sit for the first weeks.

I am nervous because I think I am pushing it a little. I had wanted the beginning of August but that wasn't available. I want to get it done this calendar year to be sure my insurance coverage doesn't change before surgery. As a teacher, that leaves me with before school or Christmas break. The idea of spending my Christmas this way is pretty depressing to me and only gives me 3 more days. The situation isn't ideal.

It sounds like you're making things as ready as possible and you're being realistic. Everyone talks about hell week but after that it seems pretty individual. See how you're doing in the beginning and IF you need more time listen to your body. I'm hoping to be back after 2 1/2 weeks because I have vacation plans later in the year too, so I totally understand where you're coming from. Best Wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

My surgery date is Monday August 6. I will be starting my two week liquid diet tomorrow. Finally, the countdown has begun! I have waited months for this and it is starting to happen!

GOOD LUCK to all the early August surgery peeps who may be starting liquid diets soon or just trying to drop a few more pounds before the big day. YOU CAN DO IT!

Pre-op appts this week - WOO HOO!