Are Pistachios allowed?

TimeToGo

I'm approx 11 days out and I desperately want something to crunch on that will give me protein - ice and ice pops aren't cutting it.

DH bought me roasted, unsalted pistachios in the shell. 6g of protein per 1/2c serving. I'm pretty sure I can't ingest a 1/4c at this point anyhow.

Just wondering if it's a good idea or not?

ETA: also, they come unshelled too. But of i portion mine out it'll be done while they are in their shells. So How does that affect the servings size etc?

Edited by TimeToGo

You should contact your surgeon's office before eating nuts this soon. Most docs don't allow nuts for quite a while.

Only if you've been cleared for all foods and you might want to check with your NUT for that first. I wasn't allowed nuts at your stage.

I am not even allowed anything more than clear liquids until my post-op appointment which will be 13 days out so I feel your pain but I would make sure to get that cleared with your surgeon first. Good luck!

I'm 4 months out and still not allowed grains or nuts. I'd seriously call your doc to check first.

It is really weird because in my surgery protocol, I was allowed a few nuts a day (I sometimes put grounded unsalted almonds in my yogs) because it contains minerals that nothing else has. It really differs from one surgeon to the other :blink:

BDM, I didn't recognize you with your new pic! Loving your hair.

Thanks!!

Nuts early out are like taking pills - they get stuck. Even if you think you chewed them enough you

probably won't every time. Trust me I learned the hard way :)

I would suggest getting some sonic ice and maybe adding a little SF flavoring to it. Crunching ice was recommended to me when I was that early out.

now I am 7 weeks and have been cleared for all foods. I will say that nuts and seeds sit kindof funny in my pouch. Not very comfortable and they have to be chewed REALLY well. I would ask your doc before you do that. Wouldnt want you to feel any unnecessary pain!

I was allowed almonds and pistaccio's at one month out. I haven't tried the pistaccio's yet but the almonds do fine for me

• 9 years later...