cindynels

A child's view on size

Tonight I was sitting in a chair while my kids were changing into their PJ's. My five year old son turned to say something to me, and said with a giggle, "Mommy your tummy is so fat!". Ugh...not what I wanted to hear, but the truth hurts:-). At least my kids are still young enough that they aren't ashamed of me.

As much as it hurts, it can also be a great wake up call. I had a similar expereince and made it into an opportunity to talk about diversity and how everyone is different. I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt, but I made sure I used it as a motivator to move push myself harder.

My kids have made comments too but I know it wasn't to hurt my feelings. I just told them that its not polite to say things like that, even if they are true.

I will never forget, one of my friends kids told me I was big. It hurts my feelings. What bugged me was that his mom laughed. I really didn't appreciate that. Adults should know better!

I have been down that road a few times with some of my younger special ed kiddos from school. Most often asked was, "why was my tummy so big"? I knew it was true and it hurt. I just never saw myself "THAT" big. I was so blind.

Kids are the most honest and pure, sometimes you need that. Your friends will shadow behind the facts to not hurt your feelings. Your kids are your inspiration. You will get the WOW mommy you are getting smaller and smaller. I bet that wont hurt your feelings.

Kids are the most honest and pure, sometimes you need that. Your friends will shadow behind the facts to not hurt your feelings. Your kids are your inspiration. You will get the WOW mommy you are getting smaller and smaller. I bet that wont hurt your feelings.

I agree! My kiddos are what keeps me level headed. :)

My kids have made comments too but I know it wasn't to hurt my feelings. I just told them that its not polite to say things like that, even if they are true.

I will never forget, one of my friends kids told me I was big. It hurts my feelings. What bugged me was that his mom laughed. I really didn't appreciate that. Adults should know better!

Yep! Talking about not setting a good example!! Whatever happend to parents teaching kids manners?

yeah, but just THINK about all the wonderful things they'll be saying when your tummy is gone! and how much fun you'll have playing with them on the playground or kicking a ball around outside without getting winded! Exciting times ahead, lil momma!

My daughter brought home a Mother's Day card from school where the kids had to fill in the blanks about their mom. One of the questions was to list how she was like me and different from me. In the "different" list she put.....I get to to eat normal-person food, but my mom doesn't. In the "same" list she put....my mom used to be very chubby, (her attempt at being polite about it?), but now she's skinny like me.

They just say it like they see it. LOL

My kids did the same thing. Now I get hugs where my 8 yr olds hands can clasp around my waist and she smiles big.

I did it for them as much as I did it for myself.

My 9 year old grand daughter is a hugger. She laments the passing of her "fluffy nana" but says she loves the new bony, healthy nana more" Gotta love those kids.

Thanks for all the positive comments! Like I said, the truth hurts. But sometimes you need to hear it!