2 Week Pre-Op Liquid diet Survival Tips

Imani581

Hey pre op friends I will tell you how I beat this. I had 2 cups of non-starchy veggie a day one at lunch and one at dinner. I got the stir fry ones in the freezer case at Walmart. After the surgery my doc said I did a good job of shrinking my liver. There are not many calories in them but u will have the full feeling after u eat them.

• 5 years later...

Hello my name is Martha. I start the 2 week liquid diet tomorrow 11/05 & my surgery is scheduled for 11/19. I was told by the dietitian that I could have sugar free jello on the liquid diet. I've got plenty of protein powder, chocolate,  & I've got 2 different flavors of muscle milk. The muscle milk has 25g protein & only 1g of sugar. The dietitian also told me that I can mix 2 shakes a day with 1 or 2% milk so I use the 2% lactaid because it doesn't have as much sugar as regular milk. I've got protein water, vitamin water & zero Gatorade. I was told to keep hydrated so I also have like 6 cases of bottled water. I'm ready for this change in my life 

Welcome to Thinner Times Martha.

The pre-op liquid diet can be tough but keep focused and load yourself up with as much liquid as you can.  Hot drinks like Celestial Seasonings teas can be more satisfying than cold ones - I like their fruity flavours best.

Keep focused and when the going gets tough, jump on the forum - read all you can and have a moan if you need to.  Most of us have trodden that path.  YOU CAN DO THIS! 

Welcome!  I like mio flavor drops and sugarfree flavor powder for my water bottles.  I craved root beer for a while and found a root beer flavor packet for my water.  I also mixed it in vanilla rtd protein shakes.  

Im not sure if I could have done 2 weeks of liquids..I only had 24 hours!  Keep your eye on the prize!

• 1 year later...

I need to lose 25 pounds before surgery.

I can hardly stand or walk with virus all I want to do is sit.  All of my dog's have gained also.  Tummies are pouched out and hanging.  I can hardly get on and the bed

I am so depressed.  To me it feels like life or death.  It seems like the only thing I do well is eat.  I ask that you pray for me to make.  I feel desperate and not sure I can make it.  I am afraid to go out because I embarrass my grandchildren. I feel if I make it through this I will feel so much better.   Grateful for any suggestions.. thanks

3 hours ago, Barbara1953 said:

I need to lose 25 pounds before surgery.

I can hardly stand or walk with virus all I want to do is sit.  All of my dog's have gained also.  Tummies are pouched out and hanging.  I can hardly get on and the bed

I am so depressed.  To me it feels like life or death.  It seems like the only thing I do well is eat.  I ask that you pray for me to make.  I feel desperate and not sure I can make it.  I am afraid to go out because I embarrass my grandchildren. I feel if I make it through this I will feel so much better.   Grateful for any suggestions.. thanks

Don't get uptight regarding exercise, but do your absolute best to stick with the prescribed diet. 90% of weightloss is about what goes into your mouth, so focus on that. The reality of the pre-op diet is that you are trying to shrink the liver, not build muscle. I do hope you recover sufficiently to actually have your surgery as per schedule.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm on day 3 of my liquid diet and I feel fine. I'm only able to drink 5x diabetic boosts per day spread out totaling 950 calories. It's hard but you must do it, if you can't do this, you'll most likely not succeed long term after the surgery. This is not only about shrinking the liver and as much fat as possible before surgery, it's also about self control. In November I completed an entire week of the liquid diet but unfortunately my surgery was cancelled due to covid restrictions. 

My thoughts are this, suck it up and stick to the diet. Don't cheat because you're only cheating yourself. 

This is an old post, but I was thinking about adding a scoop or a tablespoon of chocolate protein mix to vanilla yogurt(the only yogurt I can have). To make it taste better.