Janie L

Been gone for a long time

I am 18 months out and have almost made my goal weight. Right now I am struggling to keep from eating to much. I was told this might happen, but am not happy about it. I don't want to gain my weight back. A little background on why I have been gone. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July of 2011 and have been going through Cancer treatments. Surgery, chemo and radiation all done and have just had a pet scan that says I am Cancer free! Now the thing is and one of the reason I think I am having a problem with controlling my eating is I am taking a medicine that couid be causing the desire to overeat. I have to take it for 5 years. I will continue to fight the urge to want to eat everything in the house! One way i am doing this is to make sure there isn't anything that i can binge on like chips, cookies and ice cream. I know if it's not here i can't eat it. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Welcome back Janie and congratulations on being cancer free.

Medications that increase our need to eat can be very difficult. The only tips I can offer is to make sure you're surrounded by low calorie, crunchy foods like celery and other raw veggies and fruit and sugar free popsicles.

I don't have any excuse to raid the fridge - I do it when my teeth get bored in the evening so along with having no high carb snacks or candy or chocolate in the house, my only other option is to hit the celery. Thankfully, with just 10 calories for a large stalk, it's hard to do much damage with the stuff. Oh! and I have a jar of PB2 peanut butter to hand for dunking in too! :lol:http://www6.netritio...tation_pb2.html

Another good dip for raw veggies is FAGE Greek yogurt with Ranch packet dressing mix beaten in. Salsa works too - spicy foods seem more satisfying.

Congratulations on beating your cancer and also for your weight lose. I am 6 months post op and get the munchies in the evening. I love chips and pretzels. I found a place online that sells bariatric foods and they have some great low calorie, high protein snacks. Yes, they are expensive compared to the regular version but hey, I figure we are worth it! They come in single serving packages and I allow myself one each evening. I know some sleevers have been told not to eat popcorn; I do and have had no ill effects. I microwave regular popcorn in a lunch size paper bag, spray on some butter, and it stops my craving for crunch. Popcorn is cheap too. Best of luck in your continued journey to a healthy life.

Wow! Praise God you are healthy!! What an amazing thing to have to go through. I am so glad that you are ok. I agree with cinwa - just surround yourself with everything that will fill you to the gills that is healthy!! That way you won't have the urge to eat the other junk. I love veggies for that.

And thanks cinwa for the fage and ranch packet tip - what a GREAT idea :) I will have to try it!!

Take care and good on you for getting on here and getting help!! If you beat cancer, you can beat this hunger!!

Welcome home, Janie. I'm thrilled to hear you are now cancer free, hun. I'm sorry for your challenging journey, but look how strong you are and what you have accomplished in the last 18 months! You are a strong woman, a true inspiration.

I loves me some PB2. I also like to keep a jar of pepperoncini peppers in the fridge. They are packed with flavor and usually satisfy my crunch and munch need.

Lemon juice and dill work well in Greek yogurt to make a dip as well. I like that dip for spicey shrimp and chicken.