When did everyone first start eating salads? I can't wait to be able to have one!

When the Dr. lets you start eating semi-solid foods basically, and at that point, it pretty much gonna mean "try it out to see if you can tolerate it". Which has been my thing since my surgery. If I couldn't tolerate something, I tried again in another month to see how it goes. And I found aot of things I used to be able to eat fine pre-op I can no longer have post-op, namely eggs and meat... :(

We weren't allowed raw veg/salad/fruit until 12 weeks out - check with your doc/NUT babe.

Most surgeons specifically mention when you are allowed to add raw and fresh veggies to your diet program. My doc allowed it at six weeks. It's so funny that salads seem to be one of the most universally craved foods for new post ops...

my doc says after 6 weeks...around around the 6 week mark....

6 weeks for me also. I am addicted to them now!

how much salad can you eat at a time?

6weeks. Salads n raw vegies

Most surgeons specifically mention when you are allowed to add raw and fresh veggies to your diet program. My doc allowed it at six weeks. It's so funny that salads seem to be one of the most universally craved foods for new post ops...

Bugdocmom ur right salad was my lease favorite depends where I order it from.. Now it's one of my most crazy cravings I want to have but gotta wait 6 weeks

Since I didn't have a liquid diet pre op, I ate one every day to hopefully get my fill since I was told it would be 6 months before I could have one. I haven't started craving them yet, but I am really craving something crunchy!

I had my first salad on Saturday and it was wonderful... the crunchy lettuce leaves were fabulous! (tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and avocado)

And it went down easily!

I had about half a cup I think.

Dying to have some for lunch again today.

I would LOVE to have a salad, but I'm still at the point where I get very little veggies and fruits in because most of my stomach room is only available for protein. I'm 2 months out, but would have been cleared to eat them after 6 weeks. I'm taking things slowly food wise, to ensure my pouch is 100% healed and waiting for the harder stuff (raw veggies, etc) around 12 weeks.

Just heads up, there's quite a few people who can't handle lettuce post op. I'm anxious to see whether I can, because I love salads <3

I have a salad almost every day now for lunch. Nom nom! I just make sure to get my protien in there, too. It's easy at the supermarket salad bar. I always put my dressing on the side and dip my fork into the dressing then into my salad. Sooooo good!

I was allowed fruits/veggies/salads at one month post op. I do find that I don't get in much veggies though since the protein comes first and 2 ounces isn't very much!

I was allowed salad at the 2 month mark, but my pouch didn't tolerate them very well until about 6 months out. I still have issues even this far out with raw broccoli- go figure.

Hubby and I use salads as a vehicle to "re-purpose" grilled proteins..........leftover grilled chicken, throw it on a salad! Leftover grilled steak, throw it on a salad! Leftover grilled tuna, throw it on a salad......you get the picture, ha ha!

Nancy

I just got to start adding soft fruits and veggies (after i get my protein in) to my diet. Today, while I was in Omaha (where the nearest Whole Foods is :( .... THREE hours away), I was able to visit the salad bar...WOOHOO for that!!! I got some quinoa and garbanzo bean salad(fantabulous), some grilled zuchinni, super yummy and they grilled it with no oil or anything special for me, a few pieces of feta cheese, some shrimp, and a few pieces of fruit. WAY more than I could eat, but I was craving veggies!!!

The whole kit-and-kaboodle cost me 3.25, and was enough for lunch, dinner, and probably my snack later tonight!!!! OMG my husband says I am such a cheap date now, LOL!!!!!

Poppy

That sort of food is right up my alley Poppy. Throw in some calamata olives and I could live off food like that (in fact I do! LOL!)

I much prefer foods at room temperature - salady type stuff with some beans of some kind, shrimp or fish and some acidic kick like lemon. OOOO! And don't forget a few small pieces of avocado and some toasted sliced almonds ....yum!

I am hungry and those salads sound amazing!!! Good thing I haven't had my surgery yet!! :) BUT I CANT WAIT TO HAVE MY SURGERY

I wanted to post a few 'salad' recipes for people maybe not allowed to have lettuce. Check with your NUT. I'm allowed to have all of these now at 8 weeks out. Whether or not I actually tolerate them depends on the hour and day (great for lunch, comes up for dinner..go figure..)

Chicken & Chickpea Salad

About 1 1/4 cups of so of leftover Rotisserie Chicken Breast, chopped (tuna, canned or smoked or leftover salmon works well too)

1 can Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans or ceci) drained and rinsed

1/4 Red Onion, diced fine

1/2 Cucumber, chopped

20 Grape Tomatoes, halved

The contents of one head of Roasted Garlic

2 Tablespoons Store bought Pesto Sauce

2 Tablespoons Store bought Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/4 cup Feta Cheese, diced

1/4 cup Olives, chopped

A handful of Pine Nuts

1/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt

A few twists of Black Pepper to taste

1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped

1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice

Combine everything (except parsley & lemon juice) in a bowl, and chill for at least two hours before eating. Just before serving toss in parsley and lemon juice. Can be served as is like a salad, in a lettuce, tortilla or lavash wrap, or in a half of an avocado or tomato.

Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad

(I add more than just black beans to this, usually pinto, white, kidney, edamame)

1 can (15 oz.) Black Beans, rinsed and drained

3 ears of Corn, grilled on the BBQ, kernels removed from cob

1 cup Tomatoes (I used cherry and grape tomatoes, cut in half)

2 Tablespoons store bought Balsamic Dressing

Squirt of fresh Lime Juice

1/2 teaspoon Seasoning Salt (a garlic paprika onion salt blend)

Few twists of Black Pepper

Mix everything together. Refrigerate

Naked Asian Chicken Salad

1/2 a (14 oz.) bag of Coleslaw Mix (green cabbage & carrots)

1/2 Yellow or Red Bell Pepper, sliced thin

2 Green Onions, diced

1/4 cup Sugar Snap (or Snow) Peas

6 unbreaded chicken nuggets or strips, sautéed lightly

1/4 teaspoon Ginger, grated

1/4 teaspoon Garlic, grated

2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar

1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds, toasted

Toast sesame seeds in a dry pan for 2 minutes. Do not walk away. Set aside. Sauté nuggets till golden, slice into strips and set aside. Toss cabbage, peppers, onions, and peas together. Add chicken. Whisk ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, oil together till well combined. Pour over salad & chicken. Toss with toasted sesame seeds.

Salsa Salad (I eat this on salami chips, to get even more protein in)

1 Cucumber, chopped

1 Avocado, chopped

1 cup Pico de Gallo

1/4 cup Mild Salsa

1/4 cup Vegetable Juice

Salt to taste

Toss veggies together with salsa and juice. Top with grilled chicken. Also great with grilled fish, shrimp.

A add a can of rinsed and drained black beans to this to up protein.

Italian Sub Salad

Romaine Lettuce

Fresh Basil

Grape Tomatoes

Cucumber

Sliced Genoa Salami, Italian Roast Beef

Sliced Provolone

Kosher Salt & a few twists of Black Pepper

Balsamic Dressing

Edamame Salad

5 cups sweet white corn kernels (from about 7 to 8 medium cobs)

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 10-ounce container cherry or pear tomatoes, halved

1/2 cup small-dice red onion

1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced

++Add beans

++Add chicken or shrimp

Prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the corn kernels and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.

Drain and place in the ice water bath until cool, about 4 minutes.

Combine the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large, nonreactive bowl.

While continuously whisking, add the oil in a steady stream until completely incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients and the cooled corn and toss until well coated. Serve.

Sesame Cucumber Salad

3 cucumbers, peeled and seeded

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons white sesame seeds

2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Peel and seed cucumbers and cut on the diagonal into thin slices. Toss the cucumber pieces with kosher salt, transfer to a colander, and let drain for 1 hour.

Toast white sesame seeds in a dry skillet until they’re golden brown. Whisk together rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes.

Rinse the cucumber slices thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Toss the cucumbers with the dressing and toasted sesame seeds and serve.

Sorry, that was A LOT. Hope it helps, though! Always add some sugar snap peas in pod to the salads. They add a ton of crunch, and barely any calories. Celery is a free food in terms of calories as well, so adding that will add some crunch.

I was allowed salad 1 month post op but didn't have any until 3 months out. Now I have it everyday and I have about 4 oz with some protein added in the salad.

No vegetables until 6 weeks, no fruit til 3 months.

cinwa,

I love love love avacado, but I couldn't find any on the salad bar. I also saw the great antipasti bar!!! OH MY the olives and everything looked so great!!! I wasn't sure if I could have them yet, so i jotted it down and have it on a list to send my doc and NUT. I was really craving a nice caprese salad with fresh mozz but didn't find one. It still took me until today to eat it all LOL. I can't wait to go back again!! I think I will get quite a bit of stuff next time, just so i can have a variety in my diet

Poppy