Propel - Sugar?

LisaBoston

So I found a store that carries Propel....Yeh!

I am concerned about one ingredient...can someone clarify it for me.

IT has Liquid Sucrose.............is this not sugar? I was under the understanding that Propel was Vitamin Enriched Water and didn't have sugar.

It doesn't say how much it has in it. Anyone know?

What I am wondering is if I can drink this post-op and how soon after surgery? I am concerned about dumping.

PS: had a little scare yesterday when my doc called and wanted to see me ASAP. Apparently the "lab tech" didn't do one of the tests they has listed - So I went back this morning and did the fasting glucose test (yucky stuff). SO far all is good and surgery is still on for Monday!)

Thanks.

Thanks Linda..the bottle doesn't give information on grams or calories, just ingredients and there is nothing listed for sugare or sugar substitute...very strange! So I will get a few and try them post-op.

We leave to head down to the hospital on Friday, should get into the town on Sunday and then the surgery on Monday.

Lisa,

you are right to wonder about Propel. It seems that I have become super-sensitive to not just sugar but all it's variations. I can't even eat bananas yet because of their sugar content. Even though it says it only has 2gm of sugar it does have other sources of sugar variations, and I dump on it. It's really a drag. I also dump on Crystal Lite.:( I have even dumped on breath mints! While it keeps me on the straight and narrow, I hope it eases up a little as time goes by. I know I would drink a lot more water if it could be flavored some.

Insert the ol' "we are all different" disclaimer here.

I pound Propel everyday. I love the grape. I am also diabetic and have been testing regularly. In fact since the surgery I haven't had to take ANY diabeties meds (WOOOOOhoooo). Take a good sip and wait a few minutes. I've found that my pouch is incredibly responsive, it lets me know right away if I screw up.

Insert the ol' "we are all different" disclaimer here.

I pound Propel everyday. I love the grape. I am also diabetic and have been testing regularly. In fact since the surgery I haven't had to take ANY diabeties meds (WOOOOOhoooo). Take a good sip and wait a few minutes. I've found that my pouch is incredibly responsive, it lets me know right away if I screw up.

Tried the grape today and its great. I was just concerned as it shows its made by gatorade and they didn't list the 2g of sugar. So, I will give it a try after my surgery when I am allowed to have fluids.

Ok, one other question - do some forms of Propel come with Nutrasweet or Splenda...as this one is with sucrose.

I knew you would all come through for me.

As others have said "liquid sucrose" is sugar. But it is a small amount and each 8 oz serving has only ten calories. I drank a lot of Propel right after the surgery without incident.

If you are looking for something unsweetened to flavor water I recently purchased "True Lime" and "True Lemon" which are both great products that are what they claim to be. Also, if you purchase the True Lemon from discountcoffee.com they throw in a box of True Lime for no additional charge. http://www.discountcoffee.com/true_lemon.htm

I have found all the crystal lights to be overly sweet and generally unpleasant.

This piqued my curiosity so I dug in the trash in my office and found my Propel bottle from this morning. I get the 23.7 oz sport bottles with the sippy top. On the label it states that 8 fl oz is the serving size but it lists the nutritional values by serving AND by the bottle. One serving (8 oz) has 2 g of sugar and thus, the whole bottle comes in at a whopping 6 g of sugar. It's not listed as liquid sucrose on my bottle... must by those liberal Canadian labeling requirements. Maybe that new conservative government can fix that for you....;)

IT has Liquid Sucrose.............is this not sugar? I was under the understanding that Propel was Vitamin Enriched Water and didn't have sugar.

What I am wondering is if I can drink this post-op and how soon after surgery? I am concerned about dumping.

PS: had a little scare yesterday when my doc called and wanted to see me ASAP. Apparently the "lab tech" didn't do one of the tests they has listed - So I went back this morning and did the fasting glucose test (yucky stuff). SO far all is good and surgery is still on for Monday!)

Thanks.

I drank it right away post op...diluted and now drink it full flavor. They have new ones called Propel Calcium in Mango, mixed Berry, and Mandarin Orange.

I don't think there is any artificially sweetened Propel. The advantage of Propel is that it has a light flavor, which I think is especially good after gastric bypass surgery as many people become more sensitive to sweetness. The small amount of sugar in Propel is nothing to worry about.

I purchased the "Powerade Option" recently which combines the amount of sugar in Propel with sucralose (Splenda) and Ace-K. It tastes way too sweet to me.

Tried the grape today and its great. I was just concerned as it shows its made by gatorade and they didn't list the 2g of sugar. So, I will give it a try after my surgery when I am allowed to have fluids.

Ok, one other question - do some forms of Propel come with Nutrasweet or Splenda...as this one is with sucrose.

I knew you would all come through for me.

Gatorade is within my docs total carb for liquid boundaries. I've had no problem with it. I think for most people a little sugar is ok when diluted like that. Now, just hope you still like it post-op!!

Thanks.

Hi Lisa,

The first thing they gave me to drink in the hospital was Propel. I haven't had any trouble drinking it. I wish you the best for Monday.

I love Propel Water ! But recentrly discovered Powerade Option, and I like it more.. Well, tast is so personal... Now in regards to the sugar content, it is very insignificant, BUT again, it will depend only on your body in particular.

I wrote a little about it in my blog. Enjoy !

Hey Jim.......I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading through your blog. I was wondering if you think the Powerade Option tastes more like regular Powerade/Gatorade, or if it is more like a flavored water? For some reason I have a weird head thing where flavored water grosses me out, even to think about. I know it doesn't make sense, but alass it came with the surgery. Also, where do you find it? I am in Ohio, and a lot of times the folks from CA have completely different stores than my area. The Black Cherry would be a decent flavor for me. Also, I'm with you on the Snapple........I saw a few on the website I haven't tried, but my fav is the Snapple Apple. Thanks for sharing your info and Blog. :)

Hey Mavisavis!

Glad you liked my Blog. Some doctors that are friends of mine and I will be updating it almost every day ! I want it to be a good resource.... Thanks so much !

In my personal opinion, the Powerade Option tastes stronger and better... specially the cherry one.. it is even hard to get here in Florida, I do not know why.... When I have luck, I buy a whole case :)

I use the ebay powerade option coupons to get some good discounts.

In regards to Propel, I buy it bulk at Costco...