Hydrothermal Ablation

I had a hydrothermalablation almost 3 years ago and never have a period now. However, I started spotting the last few days (I am 5 1/2 weeks post op). I am surprised to have this spotting. Do you think that is common?

You are the second person that has said that. I am not sure, I also had the procedure done over three years ago I hope it is not common after surgery. Thank you for posting i look forward to responses.

really?? That is very interesting.

Did you read a comment here in TT about Hydrothermal ablation?

I hope I don't start having a period now. It worked well but I had a really serious infection of endometritis afterwards.

Oh I hope not. That would really stink! I had an electrical current-type ablation almost 2 years ago. If you all find out something, let me know.

I'm highly considering an ablation...should I rethink? I'll be really interested to hear what your doc has to say about this, so please keep us posted! :)

I am glad that I did it and its easier on your body than a hysterectomy. I just got that bad infection....other than that, its been good. I am concerned though that I will have this darn spotting now. But maybe its just my hormones....

Hormone changes early out are the usual reason for irregular periods and spotting etc.

From what little reading I've done on hydrothermal endometrial ablation, most will have a reduced menstrual flow and up to half will stop having periods altogether but younger women are more likely to continue to have periods and need a repeat procedure.

I had the rollerball ablation done almost 10 years ago when the procedure was much newer. I started with no period but over the years it has increased. The dr says this happens as cells slowly regenerate. I now get a very light period for 3-4 days. Rather have that than a river for 10-12 days,lol. That being said I know the newer procedures are said to be much more effective. It has not seemed to change much during my post op period.

thanks....it just seemed weird that I had nothing for 3 years and now spotting out of the blue and still am...I think I am chalking it up to hormones esp from the weight loss.

• 6 months later...

I had hydrothermal ablation done 4 years ago. No problems and no periods!! One of the best things I've ever done. I'm hoping the same with the GBP surgery.

Angela, I was menopausal when I had GB surgery and after I lost about 50 pounds, I got my period super lightly twice but nothing since. I chalked it up to the tremendous, fast weight loss and hormonal changes that all that weight change brings.

I had the rollerball ablation done almost 10 years ago when the procedure was much newer. I started with no period but over the years it has increased. The dr says this happens as cells slowly regenerate. I now get a very light period for 3-4 days. Rather have that than a river for 10-12 days,lol. That being said I know the newer procedures are said to be much more effective. It has not seemed to change much during my post op period.

I now realize how "unlucky" I was with my ablation...I went for MAYBE 2-3 months without a period and then it showed up again! The doctor got my hopes up stating that I would probably have NO period to VERY LITTLE...darn, so didn't happen that way! HAHA

I had no periods at all until my RNY. Since then I have had spotting every month since. At least its not heavy...

I had the ablation surgery about 5 yrs ago and actually never stopped having a period, it just got much lighter and less painful. I was really happy with that in comparison to earlier though. I've noticed that post-op I've had more PMS and the periods are heavier again. Hope that will subside as the hormones balance out again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had that procedure in 3 years ago and at first I still got a very light period , after a few more months it stopped. Now I only get one every few months or so and I still have the symptoms (headache, crabbiness , etc) and it is very minimal if anything. I am just glad it's not as heavy as it used to be. a friend of mine had hers a little bit after mine and she stopped completely.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my second ablation about 5 months ago after the first one didn't take. I was severely anemic and was still getting iron IV infusions. I never stopped bleeding but now it's one day of nothing really which I guess is better than soaked! Has anyone else ever had to get it done twice?

I'm in the process of being worked up for an ablation. I'm anemic and bleeding like a stuck pig for 6-7 days. Because of my age (almost 42), they are requiring a vaginal sono and endometrial biopsy first. I've heard the biopsies hurt really bad. Can anyone tell me about them?

I'm in the process of being worked up for an ablation. I'm anemic and bleeding like a stuck pig for 6-7 days. Because of my age (almost 42), they are requiring a vaginal sono and endometrial biopsy first. I've heard the biopsies hurt really bad. Can anyone tell me about them?

They tried before the first ablation to do a biopsy and it hurt like crazy. That's me though :) So they put me under to do it and then tried like a D&C but it didn't work so i had to get 2 ablations. I was anemic too and had IV iron infusions for 3 months :(

Marisa

I have had a colposcopy. I think that is similar to a biopsy. The cramping is pretty intense during the procedure, its not fun.

Thanks. I will be prepared. I just want to get all this to stop!

I just had an endometrial biopsy and scope done on Nov 8 in preparation for my ablation procedure. The biopsy wasn't bad at all. I took tylenol an hour beforehand. Dr numbed the cervix before going in -- that was the worst part, the injection. After the biopsy I had some spotting for a day but nothing really bad. Pain was minimal for me. Tylenol and a heating pad relieved the cramping. An hour after the biopsy my son drove me about 60 miles away to pick up his guitar, and I drove home. I was back at work the next day.

I'm scheduled for December 13 for my ablation. I really can't wait! During my last period, in ONE day, I went through 11 super tampons AND 4 pads. The biopsy and scope were necessitated by my age (45) -- just to be sure there was no evidence of cancer or fibroids. Originally dr was planning on cryoablation but changed his mind once he saw the excessive amount of tissue with the scope. So we're going thermoablation.

I'll update after my procedure next week.

Lisa

The ablation procedure isn't too bad except I got a bad infection afterwards. That was really tough and I was so sick. I hope your procedure goes smoothly!!

I had it done because I would have a heavy period for 6-8 weeks at a time. Terrible!

Well my ablation is tomorrow! My doctor only does these procedures in an outpatient surgical center under twilight anesthesia. I have to be there at 6:45 am for my 7:45 procedure.

YAY Ablation is done! Along with a "bonus" D&C beforehand because the doc found SO much excess endometrial tissue that he cleaned it out before the heat treatment. Minimal pain -- I had one percocet in the surgical center and two tylenol yesterday. Nothing since, just heating pad for cramps that are no worse than a menstrual cramp. The only thing I didn't like was having an IV and gaining 6 lbs in a day from the excess fluid!