Sign in to follow this  
racheyrach

children after plastics

I am 22 years old and almost 18 months out of the gastric bypass. I have extra skin mainly in my stomach and love handles. I plan on doing a panni and have a breast augmentation/lift not sure but will be talking to a doctor about my options. I do plan on having children in 2-3 years. if I get this done now when i get pregnant will it just reverse the surgery or will I need a touch up. But if I wait i wont be able to get it covered by my insurance for the panni.

Hello racheyrach,

Thanks for your question...

Although most plastic surgeons would recommend delaying any abdominoplasty (muscle tightening) surgery until after you're done having children, many women have successfully given birth to healthy babies after tummy tuck surgery.

Medically speaking, there is no danger to your health from getting pregnant after a tummy tuck, but some studies have shown that women who have had tummy tuck can be prone to an early birth.

Also, since the muscles have been tightened, they may not stretch well enough to accommodate the growing baby, and some children are born with a low birth weight.

Sometimes the pregnancy can be associated with pains from stretching of the tightened muscles.

If you do become pregnant after a tummy tuck procedure, I would recommend you consult with your obstetrician to determine the best plan and follow up to ensure a healthy pregnancy and delivery.

As for the effects of pregnancy on your excess abdominal skin, this depends entirely on your skin tone and elasticity.

Pregnancy and weight gain affect different people very differently.

You will probably notice some recurrence of an excess skin pannus, but whether or not this would need a touch up can only be determined several months after your pregnancy once the tissues have contracted and returned to their pre-pregnancy state.

Sincerely, Abhay Gupta, MD, FACS.

My question is kind of the same. I've lost but have that gut because of excess skin. I hate that. Us it possible to just get excess skin removed now to rid of gut looking thing & after done having kids actually do the full tuck. Is this a good idea/plan?

Yes you can choose to do it that way if you wish.

But it does mean an extra surgical procedure.

I recommend you discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD.