steffie78

Who has cheated on pre-op liquid diet?

Hey everyone!

I'm on day 4 of my 15 day pre-op liquid diet. The protein shakes I got from my dr's office are awful. To the point where I start to gag when I have to choke down another one. The only other things I'm allowed are water and chicken or beef broth. I have cheated with something small almost every day. I had about 4 oz of chicken tonight, yesterday I had some rice. I'm nauseaus unless I put something into my stomach. I'm so worried that my stomach won't shrink enough though before surgery.

Steph

I cheated on mine... not that I am advocating this. But I cheated up till 2 days before actual surgery and then I stuck to it. And for sure stuck to it the night before surgery. You should call and ask them if Sugar Free Popsicles and Sugar Free jello is considered ok on your liquid stage... I couldn't have made it without those. Good luck.

I did cheat on mine... and I paid for it *big time*... so I highly recommend you find a way around the gagging (easier said than done, I know hun.... ) maybe try some other brand of shake/protein drinks.. there are tons of different types... preop it isn't as big a concern as post op to get the 100% whey protein isolate, you just want to stay low in calories/sugars/carbs.

As I said- I paid big time in that my liver wasn't as shrunk down as I needed it to be, and my liver cracked in half during surgery... what was supposed to be a 2 to 3 hour surgery was 6 hours long... and I was in the hospital 5 days instead of 2, and out of work for 8 full weeks and even that was pushing it for me.. I remember at three weeks out, driving five miles to the grocery store and sobbing in the middle because I was so exhausted....

So.. it is worth it and very short term... do what you can to stick as close as possible to the preop diet plan.. you don't want to end up like me..

If you can get through the first 3 days without cheating, it gets a lot easier.

Try hot teas and broths (drain the bits out of low fat chicken noodle soup and drink that - it's so much better than canned broth).

If you can get through the first 3 days without cheating, it gets a lot easier.

Try hot teas and broths (drain the bits out of low fat chicken noodle soup and drink that - it's so much better than canned broth).

I agree, I use the broth from the progresso light chicken noodle soup and it is much better tasting than just plain broth

I used the BA protein shakes...I got the chocolate and the orange sherbet...They require 2 scoops per drink..I mixed my sherbet and chocolate(1 scoop of each flavor) (sounds awful) However i was able to tolerate them. Kinda taste like a frosty..

My doctor allowed veggies, too. I ate a ton of pickles, edamame and green beans.

Protein shakes are about to be very important to your life so don't be afraid to try different ones and find something you like. I haven't found a chocolate I don't like. Mix with decaf coffee and skim milk and blend.

Good luck!

i consider myself very lucky, my dr's requirements was very different. from consult one month prior to surgery he put me on shakes twice per day, then i could have chicken or fish for dinner, all the veggies i wanted but only one serving of fruit. I lost 14 pounds that way. it was only the last two days that i had to go on full liquid and i stuck to that, lost another 6 pounds prior to surgery. I did cheat on my two shake diet a bit here and there, went to lunch/dinner with friends every now and then, got frozen yougart, and a few trips to taco bell, and one very delicious steak dinner as my "last meal" but i always had two shakes, never wavered from that. and if i did go out (sans the taco bell and froyo) I ate healthy, sushi and vegan food. all in all he was very happy with my loss. i dont understand the full liquid diet one month-two weeks prior. other ways work too

ohhh and Bfly_one never thought about decaf coffee and skim blend...gonna have to try that :)

Edited by SakuraWillow

MY FRIEND TOLD ME THAT THE DOCTOR CAN TELL BY THE SIZE OF THE LIVER IF YOU FOLLOWED THE LIQUID DIET--AND MY DR STATED HE WILL CLOSE YOU UP AND NOT PERFORM THE SURGERY IF THAT IS WHAT HE FINDS...SO JUST IN CASE I WOULD SUGGEST--DO NOT CHEAT. FIND A SHAKE THAT IS TOLERABLE. THERE IS A BLOG ON THIS WEBSITE STATING SOME GOOD TASTING SHAKES SO TRY THEM ALL IF YOU HAVE TO. BE STRONG AND STICK TO IT--DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN NOW. :)

My Doctor doesn't require a full liquid diet. I have 3 small high protein low carb meals and 3 shakes a day. And if I have to eat something it is raw veggies or sugar free Jello. I'm on day 4 of my pre op diet, each day gets a little easier. Best of luck to you.

Yes I have cheated BIG TIME! I find it almost impossible to only drink protein shakes and eat sugar free jello for 2 weeks! I hear about some doctors who do not require a pre-op diet so i think to myself, "how bad could cheating possibly be?" but then again, I would hate to go through all of this trouble for my doc not to be able to preform the surgery, or I would hate to have my surgery open instead of laproscopic or have complications all because I had to eat! I am really going to work on sticking to the diet, my biggest problem is getting busy at work and skipping a "meal" or "snack" then by the time i get home i am STARVING so i grab the first thing i see! I need to get oon a schedule because im going to have to be on one post op!! Ughhhh Surgery is in a week from today... I am a nervous wreck! :)

My preop diet was Atkins for a few weeks, and then 2 days before surgery I had only protein shakes (Syntrax is awesome) which was my choice. The surgery went awesome and he said my liver was shrunk up and little. Definitely try to find a protein shake you like =).

I haven't posted in a while. I've been working hard (at work not at having fun with life) Anywho I hate that you're having problems. Syntrax is my favorite. I can never find Max which I've heard you could eat it out of the tub. I had a problem money wise when I had to do the liver shrinking phase. I emailed the nurse at the office and told them my problem. I was freaking out because I was afraid they would cancel my surgery. The nurse had a NUT email me a meal plan that's all protein and no more than 200 calories. I would have a small (cd disk serving) of spinach with grilled shrimp, tuna with no fat greek yogurt no crackers etc. Then payday I was able to buy my protein drinks and get back on the saddle. My surgeon said my liver looked awesome. No really he said that. Pretty was another word. haha!

So depending on how close your date is I would email them but I'm sure if you go to a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and tell them what you're doing they will make you samples to try. They did with me. That's how I found Syntrax agreed with me. Chike on Celebrate Vitamins website is great too. I make protein ice cream with Chike.

Oh good grief I'm rambling... haha! Good luck!

Day 1 cheated bad! 2 hot pockets, a McDouble from McDonalds, and ice cream...

Day 2 cheated...Hubby and I went to the movies I had a junior popcorn with butter...

Day 3 cheated...Bologna sandwich...(kicker here is I went to a party where they had cake, nachoes, BBQ smokies...and I ate a sandwich before we went!)

Day 4 cheated...air popped popcorn with flavored salt...

Day 5 haven't cheated...yet!

Good Luck I have 9 more days to go...

Instead of thinking about what you cant have think about why you want it. Self control is something you are going to have to work with for the rest of your life. These snacks and little cheats aren't a big deal but just make sure you aren't following a bad habit that needs to be broken.

Just attended my pre-surgery consult and I have a 7 day liquid diet. Funny odd not funny ha-ha but I am actually excited about going to the store to see what I may want to try. Now when I actually start I know full well that I won't be as eager lol, but like I tell my students about their classes and the sacrifices they often have to make "it's a short-term sacrifice for a long-term gain", or in this case loss :D

Just attended my pre-surgery consult and I have a 7 day liquid diet. Funny odd not funny ha-ha but I am actually excited about going to the store to see what I may want to try. Now when I actually start I know full well that I won't be as eager lol, but like I tell my students about their classes and the sacrifices they often have to make "it's a short-term sacrifice for a long-term gain", or in this case loss :D

very true!!

I have 3 days left on my pre op all liquid diet. I'm doing gastric bypass and I have bariatric advantage shakes and after 10 days, I've begun to want to practically vomit when I drink those shakes, which is why I've been getting hungry easily. So unfortunately  I cheated on day 8 and had a small amount of cheesy potatoes, but today I tripped up again and went over board by eating pizza and a whole bag of pistachios. I feel really guilty since I had a couple week moments.

So what I wanna know is if I really screwed up by cheating those two time. I've been pretty diligent otherwise and have already lost about 15 lbs. I'm determined to stick it out and just keep going with the shakes since I'm so close. But it's been HARD.

I guess I just wanna hear if there's anyone else who made a couple eating mistakes during the pre-op all liquid diet and if I'm in trouble for cheating those two times. Any advise?

We all make mistakes - that is what makes us human.  But now, with your surgery just days away, is the time to really buckle down and take your pre op diet very seriously.  

You can do it!  Remember why you are having this surgery.  Your days of being overweight will soon be behind you if you dedicate yourself to your pre op and post op weight loss surgery diet.

Try drinking no-calorie liquids when you feel hungry.

A pre op all liquid diet serves several really important functions - (1) it cleans your digestive system of solid food which will make your gastric bypass surgery much easier and safer to perform, (2) it "shrinks the liver" which also makes the surgery easier and safer to perform, (3) it produces some weight loss which jump starts you on your way to your goal weight, and (4) it gets you used to the strict food limitations that occur right after the surgery.  

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.  Life as a skinny, active and healthy person is wonderful.

A liquid diet is hard Paige but today is another day.  Knuckle down - you've just got 3 more days to get through - you can do this.

I am restarting my road to gastric bypass surgery, the problem I am having right now is trying to quit smoking, I have tried everything and eventually I end up back at it.  Between that and the pepsi, I am having a hard time.  Any advise?

You should see your doctor to see if he/she can help you with quitting smoking.  As I assume that you know, you must quit smoking before you have your weight loss surgery, as any smoking is very unhealthy after your surgery (since you cannot have smoke going into your gastric bypass as it will irritate your intestine and make you very sick).

I was totally addicted to Diet Pepsi prior to my surgery.  As you cannot drink carbonated drinks after your surgery, I gave up the soda "cold turkey" about 3 months prior to surgery and replaced it with unsweetened iced tea.  Then a month later I replaced with with non-carbonated drinks without caffeine.  I do not miss my Diet Pepsi now, and love life at my goal weight.

I, too was a Diet Pepsi a holic!  I also switched to unsweetened iced tea.  I now use decaf iced coffee, crystal light and flavor enhancer drops.  

Never smoked but do check with your dr.  

There are medications you can take to help you quit, as well as nicotine patches and gum. (I don't think you can take both at the same time though). Talk to your primary doctor to see if you would benefit from either of these. I quit almost 10 years ago, cold turkey.  It is so hard, but it is absolutely do able. You can do it!!

On Friday, April 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Vvb262 said:

Yes I have cheated BIG TIME! I find it almost impossible to only drink protein shakes and eat sugar free jello for 2 weeks! I hear about some doctors who do not require a pre-op diet so i think to myself, "how bad could cheating possibly be?" but then again, I would hate to go through all of this trouble for my doc not to be able to preform the surgery, or I would hate to have my surgery open instead of laproscopic or have complications all because I had to eat! I am really going to work on sticking to the diet, my biggest problem is getting busy at work and skipping a "meal" or "snack" then by the time i get home i am STARVING so i grab the first thing i see! I need to get oon a schedule because im going to have to be on one post op!! Ughhhh Surgery is in a week from today... I am a nervous wreck! :)

Omg that is sooo meeee!!!!! Im scared and my op is one week from today!! Can you shed some light on this? Did.you end up doing the surgery???