ridgetop01

What is your biggest everyday struggle on this journey?

To be honest I think I'll always struggle with exercise- I really just don't enjoy it- HOWEVER I know I have to do it and am writing out a plan for the long weekend to use my treadmill and Wii fit .. seeing I'm not walking around the hospital or doing stairs-

One of my sisters is an iron-man tri-athlete.. I absolutely love her but seriously wonder how we are related some days...

i am 8 days out and my hardest thing is getting in my protine and my water i might have some greek yogert in the AM but then i can go all day with nothing. getting some advice would be helpful as to how i can get that going

head hunger... food planning. I dont like repetition and I've never been a "food scheduler" so thats a struggle for me. Getting in all of my fluids some days is harder than others... getting in all of my proteins still is difficult.

remembering to take my vitamins is actually a struggle. The eye-stomach thing a few others were talking about... hmmmm, going out to eat is a big one.

Trying to find variety in my current eating plan. I feel very restricted (on soft food stage until May) ESPECIALLY when I'm out. Missing the freedom of being able to eat anything. I'm also getting sick of protein shakes.

i am 8 days out and my hardest thing is getting in my protine and my water i might have some greek yogert in the AM but then i can go all day with nothing. getting some advice would be helpful as to how i can get that going

Try setting an alarm on your phone to remind you eat something every 3 hours or so. :)

Taking too big of a bite...sometimes allows for bigger pieces going down than what you would like to have. Not having the meal plan in place for the day is another big one.

Eating too fast is a struggle, my pouch is super resilient and I forget when I'm busy and then get the pain and the pukeys. I can't seem to slow it down.

Well this question was a wake up call for me. My immediate reaction was to answer CARBS! I miss them, i've been putting them back in my diet (the not healthy carbs) and I'm only 3 months out. This needs to stop.

Then I thought well... water and vitamins too. I remember about half of the time to take all of my vitamins, and i get about 4-6 glasses of water in a day. Ugggh. I'm trying, I really am. I need to do better.

For me, it's really changed in the last 3.5 weeks. It's been a constant struggle with kidney stones and the pain from their removal through cytoscopy. I've had two in the last three weeks + a kidney stent and I'm worn out. I am praying this isn't what my life is going to become!!

Mine has changed over the years... for a while, it was avoiding foods I KNOW I shouldn't be eating.. nibbling on goodies that were far too readily available (esp. when i was working for the car dealership.. ugh)... but in the last year or so what I struggled with mostly was remembering to take all my pills.. due to WLS, arthritis, IBS, Allergies, Menopause, insomnia, tinnitus, etc etc... I'm up to 52 pills a day :o:wacko: :wacko: and remembering each and every one of them has been, to put it mildly.. a struggle.

Since I got my iphone and mussaka (sp?) suggested "Pillboxie" for my pills, I have not missed a single pill- this thing has most seriously changed my life in the best way possible. Pillboxie allows you to enter all your pills, INCLUDING shape, color, dosage and then you put each pill into a little box.. and it has nice, gentle reminders... I can't stress how amazing this little, FREE app is..

Since I got my iphone and mussaka (sp?) suggested "Pillboxie" for my pills, I have not missed a single pill- this thing has most seriously changed my life in the best way possible. Pillboxie allows you to enter all your pills, INCLUDING shape, color, dosage and then you put each pill into a little box.. and it has nice, gentle reminders... I can't stress how amazing this little, FREE app is..

Isn't it amazing how a "simple" device like an iPhone and a good app can make such a positive difference in your life? I tell you, I hate to be tech dependent, but I couldn't live without my phone now. It does everything but make me dinner. Give it time, though. :P

---------

I haven't responded to this thread because I've been mulling over what my biggest daily challenge is. In some ways I feel that I'm lucky or blessed, since I'm doing well with food and find it relatively easy to pass up things I shouldn't have. I've even managed to incorporate nuts in a healthy way instead of overindulging. I do well with drinking and I've made a lot of progress in a short time.

After thinking through, I think my single biggest challenge is maintaining motivation. I struggle with being tired A LOT. Whether from driving myself as hard as I do or simply from the surgery and concomitant caloric and nutritional restriction, I'm not sure. Some days I have to really listen to my body and just take a break but I feel guilty when I do. I realize that I have a finite length of time to maximize my weight loss and I don't want to miss out on a single pound due to my own innate laziness getting in the way.

I also struggle with getting adequate sleep, which only compounds the tiredness. I'm a night person but have a job that requires me to get up early. As a result, I wake up every morning in a foul mood and most of my day is spent fighting a big, grouchy, witchy hot mess. I've tried going to bed earlier, but I'm just not sleepy and end up tossing and turning. I did start taking melatonin and that's helped me sleep more soundly at least. So, I feel I do get better quality sleep at this point.

Going to the Y and eating to fast.

Head hunger hands down. Followed by flippin crackers that slide down so darn easy. :wacko: Oh and I've been getting food stuck because I'm not paying attention to how fast I eat. Papaya enzymes are my friend.

Head hunger, seriously HEAD HUNGER!....and getting my exercise in!

Head hunger hands down. Followed by flippin crackers that slide down so darn easy. :wacko: Oh and I've been getting food stuck because I'm not paying attention to how fast I eat. Papaya enzymes are my friend.

What are Papaya enzymes? I am intrigued!

I read on here from other members it helps with breaking down the proteins in meat. Even if I get something else stuck it really helps and gives an overall better feeling to my stomach if it's feeling yucky or bloated. Good for digestion too. Oh plus they taste sooo good :D

remembering to eat n drink 3 weeks post op i just forget..

WATER AND PROTEIN

I haven't responded to this thread because I've been mulling over what my biggest daily challenge is. In some ways I feel that I'm lucky or blessed, since I'm doing well with food and find it relatively easy to pass up things I shouldn't have. I've even managed to incorporate nuts in a healthy way instead of overindulging. I do well with drinking and I've made a lot of progress in a short time.

I was struck by your comment above. I think maybe it might be good to come up with a list of all the positive changes we've managed to make and keep! I tend to be mostly negative - guilt, etc. - I need some GOOD things to think about! Thanks for sharing that, definitely food for thought.

I was struck by your comment above. I think maybe it might be good to come up with a list of all the positive changes we've managed to make and keep! I tend to be mostly negative - guilt, etc. - I need some GOOD things to think about! Thanks for sharing that, definitely food for thought.

Wow. Thanks for that. I agree with you. There are plenty of challenges with our WL surgeries, but I feel there are just as many--if not more--benefits from the operation(s). Not to make light of anyone struggling. God knows some folks have a really hard time adjusting and overcoming physical problems related to the surgery. But staying positive and choosing not to let things get me down really helps me stay focused. Still, I'm no Pollyanna. It's important to recognize what troubles you. That way you can deal with it and put it behind you. I think it does help to see how many other folks are coping with the same issues, too.

PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA. Oh and did I mention PIZZA...I know that I way over did it last night. We were over visiting family and they brought in my favorite pizza. Pepperoni, sausage, extra cheese, and thin crust...I ate two small peices...I felt horrible all night long...wish I would have just puked and got it over with. I won't be doing that again...I miss Pizza

I despise crushing pills... they're bitter and disgusting!

I'm also still in the puree stage (for the next 30 days) and crave chewing!

Sugar free gum is a lifesaver. :-)

Well you guys mentioned some I'm having trouble with too. Especially the eating too fast. I was always a fast eater and have to constantly tell myself to slow down. Oh course carbs! The bad kind call me daily. Exercising is another thing I hate. I try to swim 3 mornings a week but it almost always ends up being 2 days. I do workout every night....sitting on the couch lifting weights and doing leg lifts, not exactly hard.

As to my pills, since I have type 11 diabetes I'm used to taking pills. I never miss my vitamins because I think of them as "my pills" not my vitamins. I have a pill keeper sitting on the counter where I see them all the time.

I feel like I struggle with everything. I don't always remember my vitamins, I hardly ever get in enough protein or liquids, I HATE exercising. I've tried making a detailed plan but I just don't stick to it. I usually just forget. I forget to eat. How crazy is that?

Eating and drinking at the same time. I don't do it but it's always on my mind.

I drink a lot at work so I'm totally meeting my fluid goals (we're not supposed to have food at our desks though I've had grapes or nuts). So I drink a lot - tea, water, Crystal Light. I always stop 30 min before a snack or meal and wait 30 minutes after a snack or meal. BUT during that snack or meal I am thirsty and just want to chug down some water and then I sit there watching the clock. Its as bad as the head hunger I had when I newly out of surgery and couldn't even watch a TV Commercial for food. So right now my biggest challenge is coming to grips with eating/drinking at the same time. I'm pretty confident its "all in my head" because like now when I don't have a beverage OR food I'm fine and don't feel like I'm physically dieing for something to drink. UGH!

I have a hard time staying away from the salty snacks. Ice cream, cakes, sweets I have no problem staying away from, it is the pretzels, nuts, and chips that kill me.