BrianW

To those of you considering the lap band.

I've had a lapband for a year and loving it. If anyone has any questions or comments for lapband...feel free to contact me here or ask me for yahoo messenger name. This site helped me early on...so I am back to help! I've lost almost 80lbs in one year and I am competing in 5k races almost every week...I am also training for a half marathon in the fall! You can do it too! I'm not usually the type to scream my opinions...but a year into my journey...I can say this was the best decision of my life.

Edited by BrianW

Thank you so much for a positive blog about lapband. On thinner times I see so many who are unhappy with their bands.Therefore I mostly read lapband forum. I am 60 with 10+ comobidities and opted for the band(doubt a dr would have accepted me as bypass patient). I became banded 3/21/12. I've lost 7lbs preop and 7lbs post op in the last 3 weeks. So far this has been a great thing I am doing to improve my health. My diabetic meds cut in 1/2 and blood pressure cut to 2/3. I am encouraged and hopeful. I appreciate your success story. Please keep them coming. MelVan

So glad to hear that you are having such success with the lapband! We hear so many negative comments about lapband that I am happy to hear a positive one. I had gastric bypass myself but I am very happy for you and your success!!

@ BrianW: What tips or advice do you have for those that are not getting the results needed? What does a normal day in your food journal look like?

I love my band also! It was meant for me. It keeps me from overeating. I blog all foods on my iphone through myfitnesspal.com.

i have so many questions... i am about a year pre - op and i am in the process of doing the medicaid pre auth. stuff, but my first questions are: what do u do about the carbonation stuff?? i crave carbonation. and my doctor said after about a year i could start eating small pieces of bread again but none and no starchy veggies for the first year after it is put in. what did ur doctor say and have you started to go back up on breads yet?and my last question is do u have to take vitamins daily?

I used to crave carbonation. Actually, it started out that I wanted to kick the caffeine habit. I bought a SodaStream and found that I really liked the diet grapefruit and the diet rootbeer. When I realized that I would have to kick the carbonation, I started to make my pop less carbonated, easing back a little bit more each week. Now my poor SodaStream just sits on the counter unused. :( I've found that I really like the Walmart version of the Mia diet flavorings for water in Sweet Tea. I will have one of those in a 24 oz glass and then have regular ice water. We have a great water/ice machine at work.

I've been banded 4.5 years, down about 75 lbs. I take a multi vitamin and calcium supplement every day. Nothing prescription strength. Carbonated sodas give me the hiccups. They just aren't worth the effort. I can eat whole grain breads, but very doughy ones are off the table. They become a ball and get stuck in the hole of the band going through to the stomach. This is quite painful when it gets lodged like that, so avoidance becomes the action of choice.

Starches are up to you and your dietary team. You only have a limited amount of room for food, you need to choose wisely what you use that space for. Protein, non-starch veggies, and fruits are more nutritionally dense, and less calorically dense. They should generally be first choice.

Hi folks...

I had lap banding in Feb 2010 and lost around 50 lbs. My original weight was 234 and I got down to 183. Thrilled... I wanted to get to 150. But, I had great results in my lab work and totally reversed the Diabetes II.

About 3 months ago, I started having some complications... continual feeling of obstruction and pretty violent vomiting (sorry). No matter what I ate, how small of bites. It really scared me this time. Along with some reflux and heartburn which I haven't had since the surgery... Also, a continual cough that is very aggravating... All common with problems with the lap band.

I've had the occasional problems with eating to fast, taking to large of bite, etc., but, it did pass with no complications. This was a bit different for me. I was at a 5.5 fill. I ended up seeing my doctor and had to have most of the fluid removed. And since then have gained back 15-20 lbs... very discouraging.

I am currently waiting on insurance to approval a revision/conversion for me to the gastric sleeve. I am still not sure which way is the right way to go. Until this point I had great success with the gastric banding and recommened it lots of other folks...

However, during this time, I have talked with my doctors and PA and found out this is NOT uncommon. After a couple of years for scar tissue to grow around the banding area and complications to start... In fact, my PA did state that they are doing at least 1 conversion a week... This was really discouraging to me... and she went on to say... she really wished they would stop the lap band.

I don't want to discourage anyone in anyway... and I hope more than anything that you continue to have great success with the banding because I chose it because of the less invasive procedure at the time... and it was the right thing for me. However, if you do start experiencing some problems, just know it's not uncommon...

I would love to chat with anyone about the banding... anyone having problems with the banding... or anyone else considering a conversion...

Again, good luck to you and God Bless..

I'm getting banded on September 6 ssssooo excited.I just joined this TT and was getting so discourtesy with the comments about the band but I know this is the right discussion for me, so thank you for sharing your story!!

I mean discouraged.I'm on a kindle and can't see what I'm writing :-)

The band was the best thing I ever did... it changed my life.

Take it one day at a time... try not to compare yourself to others... don't go into this journey saying I'll never be able to eat this or that ever again... I can eat anything except rice or apple skins... and no carbonated beverages.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

leaning towards lap band, i heard good things and bad things about it. i guess im scared of the unknown if it really is going to work or not

I had a band for almost 3 years and I loved it.  Somedays I even miss it.  But after the second slip surgery, it had to go.  I don't regret having it but I'm looking forward to getting a bypass now.

The Lap band was awful just my opinion:)

Bottom line, the band causes complications that required more surgery. I would vote to have it taken off the market.

me too

Wow that is very inspiring!!!

The Lap band was awful just my opinion:)

If you don't mind what happen.  I am getting a lapband in Oct.

I am just 8 weeks post-surgery, but i already feel lapband was the best thing i ever did! 

I do my part with diet and exercise...and have lost almost 50 lbs! 

Im sure bad things can and do happen, but I am willing to risk it not to be 300 lbs anymore!

I went into my appt wanting a RNY. The Dr wasn't willing to do that kind of surgery and wants me to try a gastric band with placation ( folding my stomach in half like a VSG). I have read so many discouraging and downright, scary things about banding that I'm scared to even venture down that road. I am grateful for your inspiring story! I have so many questions about this procedure and am trying to find answers :)

I have not been approved yet,  but in the process.  I told my Doc that I thought i'd prefer the lap band as the thought of cutting away 80% of my stomach scares me to death.  However, I have read about all the problems with the lap band & it seems  that for most people it just isn't very successful.  My Doc prefers the sleeve but says it is my choice.  I'm sure everyone goes through the same fears. I just don't know which I will have and my fears are holding me back.  At 67, I'm older than most on these forums, but I HAVE to do something about this debilitating weight problem.   Would appreciate any remarks--either for or against either surgery.          

Well I'm a 5 months post RYN and I'm 60 lbs lighter I had the lap band for 8 years and I only lost about 50 lbs the lap band for me was awful the acid reflex at night was horrible I would have to sleep with 5 pillows so my body was never flat or else I'd throw up in my sleep it was very depressing, if I was you I would get the sleeve verse the lap band it is a wast of money and a wast of recovery time this is just my opinion everyone is different. Good luck!

Kattrim, thanks for your comments. I know in my heart that the lap band would not work for me.  I am a cheater & would probably end up gaining weight.  Now I just have to overcome the fear.  I know people can gain the weight back after wls, and I need to work on the night snacking---that is my worst time.   Ugh !

How wonderful it is that a simple surgery can change your entire lifestyle.  It has been 6 months and i have lost around 70 lbs weight after lap band surgery. The biggest thing that I noticed after my surgery was my appetite had changed and I was not hungry all the time like I was before.You should know that before getting a lap band surgery, you need to undergo a few tests. If you qualify those tests then you are an ideal candidate for lap band surgery otherwise you are not. To find out, if lap band surgery is the right choice for you, you can get a free consultation at the lap band center. After the lap band surgery,  I have more energy and self-confidence. I feel that I can achieve anything I want in my life!