Sign in to follow this  
Sue A

10 yrs out, can't get enough protein, Help

I had GBP 10 1/2 yrs ago, and can only seem to get about 25 grams of protein a day. Am extremly lactose intolerance, so protein shakes even with water makes me very nausea & some dry heaves & dumping.

I do get about 64 ozs of crystal lite a day. I know I need much more protein but how? I'm exercising 3 times a week at a fitness club where I do 2 hrs week of pilates, 3 hrs of cardio dance, & 3 hrs of weight strentghing. So I'm very active, forgot to mention I'm 68 yrs old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sue

I had GBP 10 1/2 yrs ago, and can only seem to get about 25 grams of protein a day. Am extremly lactose intolerance, so protein shakes even with water makes me very nausea & some dry heaves & dumping.

I do get about 64 ozs of crystal lite a day. I know I need much more protein but how? I'm exercising 3 times a week at a fitness club where I do 2 hrs week of pilates, 3 hrs of cardio dance, & 3 hrs of weight strentghing. So I'm very active, forgot to mention I'm 68 yrs old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sue

Dear Sue,

I guess the question that comes to mind is whether your difficulty taking protein is new or chronic. If you are having a harder time eating now than before it might be because of gastritis or an ulcer at the gastrojejunostomy. I'd talk to my surgeon if this is the case.

Are your blood levels of protein, albumin, and prealbumin normal? If so you're probably doing OK with whatever you've been eating all along.

Have you tried fish and all the vegetable proteins. What about beans, peas, lentils, tofu, and other soy products? What about non-milk product based protein shakes?

Sounds like you've done well overall, and congratulations at being so active...at any age!