16 hours ago, cinwa said:

I totally agree but it's so important to up the fluids or it could make constipation worse.

Interestingly in India pysllium husk is used to treat both constipation and diarrhoea. I found this out years ago when I first started to use it, from an Indian trained doctor. Taken with adequate water the fibre bulks up and relieves constipation, but without adequate water it absorbs water that is available in the intestine so will actually reduce the liquidity of diarrhoea. It really is a balancing act. Get it wrong and you really can be in trouble. I prefer to use non bulking fibre supplements these days, long term your digestive system doesn't come to rely on them for peristalsis as  my surgeon has told me happens with regular use of bulking fibre agents.

11 hours ago, Norad17 said:

cinwa...how could it make it worse?

Fiber must have water in order to move the stool out of your body.  Not enough liquid and your stools will become hard and that could cause a blockage.

I’m also having a lot of pain on my left side. It feels like a comstant stitch. I’m reading from this thread that this is fairly normal, and that’s reassuring, so thank you.  

Im 50,and had my first surgery when I was 40.  I’ve been shocked how tired I feel this time round.  You forget your ten years older and that this is bound to have an effect.  I imagined myself off out on my bike by now....  not so much!!! Thank you to everyone on this thread for helping me understand this is okay, and normal  

I had revision surgery on the 5/12/2017,so I’m about four weeks on. I have only lost ten pounds, but that’s okay, I understand it can be slow, although I’d prefer it was quick of course... it has been Christmas!!!

Just keep going then

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, Gigisleeve said:

I am almost on my 4th year post gastric sleeve.  I am having the left sided pain as you described.  It really has only been prominent in the last year.  I'm very concerned about this.  I have become bloated l, very sore to touch and the pain does radiate around to my back.

You really should go see your surgeon on this, as it could be a sign of a serious problem.

• 1 month later...

I had my gastric bypass done last October 2019. I’ve sort of not really done well with my food intake , still when I eat I feel nauseous and have really bad pain in my left side and in my stomach. Everything I eat seems to cause pain as it’s going down. I had a barium swallow three weeks ago and can’t get the results till May hopefully I will be able to attend the hospital.Also I’m sick severely times a week as the food gets stuck even if I chew it till it’s pulp it doesn’t want to go down. I’ve lost lots of weight at least 5 1/2 stones since having it done but I’m fed up of the rib pain, stomach cramps,feeling sick or being sick. When will it all stop ?.Otherwise on a lighter note I feel so much healthier since losing the weight , I can walk better, further and I can get in the bath and I don’t cause a dam of water at one end. I suppose it will all right itself in the end but being patient is not my forte. No matter what, be proud of yourselves ladies, its a big thing to have this operation , I suppose we’re all going through it in our own way but we have to look to the future and think how slim and healthier we will be and it’s a really good excuse for lots of new clothes.

• 9 months later...

I’m with y’all.  I had gastric bypass the ry one. I’m doing well except a pain on my left side, seems like like muscle pulled. I can’t bend down and pick anything up. I don’t want to take pain meds. But it really hurts.  I also don’t want be a baby but do let it go and hope it goes away soon or call the office. I feel like a pest. 

Sue C

I found a surgical corset helped immensely with this kind of pain. I had an adjustable one (Velcro closure) when I had my hysterectomy. I was able to do so much more when I wore one. I didn't use it all the time (because my Ob/gyn told me after my open abdominal hysterectomy)  that they tend to restrict blood flow), just when I knew I needed to be a bit more active. 

32 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

I found a surgical corset helped immensely with this kind of pain. I had an adjustable one (Velcro closure) when I had my hysterectomy. I was able to do so much more when I wore one. I didn't use it all the time (because my Ob/gyn told me after my open abdominal hysterectomy)  that they tend to restrict blood flow), just when I knew I needed to be a bit more active. 

I didn't need one with my laparoscopic RNY surgery but I had open - sternum to just above the belly button surgery 13 months later and couldn't have functioned without a binder/corset.