BugdocMom

Understanding Dumping Syndrome

Weird, my response is in the quoted area AND beneath it. Sorry, looks like you will have to read the WHOLE thing to see my answers.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

I have been reading a lot more post and keeping taps on my diet. Conclusion, I have been mixing a banana in with my daily protein shake. So tomorrow i will not add the banana and see if its the trigger.

My diet over the past week has been pretty basic, eggs, cottage cheese, thinly sliced deli meat, 43g protein shot (every morning) and the daily 100g protein shake that I split into two servings throughout the afternoon/evening.

I was adding a banana and a tbsp of peanut-butter to kill the powdered vanilla whey concentrate taste.

So tired of dumping, gota get a grip on it!!!

Bananas AND peanut butter can cause dumping. Particularly if you are drinking them. You may want to try a no sugar added natural peanut butter from a health food store OR, even better, try PB2 powder. It gives the peanut butter taste without the calories or fat.

I'm not an easy "dumper" but a half of banana is the MOST I can take at a time and not one sugary thing along with it. You really have to be careful, my first whole banana made me feel like I needed to go to the hospital x.x

Today has been my first dump free day in a week!!! Thanks TT and special thanks to BugdocMom. Its amazing the difference I have felt today in energy! :D

Dumping takes a lot out of a person :eek:

Today has been my first dump free day in a week!!! Thanks TT and special thanks to BugdocMom. Its amazing the difference I have felt today in energy! :D

Dumping takes a lot out of a person :eek:

I am sooo glad to hear it!! Good for you for working so hard to figure out what is best for you. I think it may be a sign that you will be especially successful with your WLS;)

Thank you for posting this!

for me,  Dumping is different ALL THE TIME... something that has gone well for months might suddenly trigger something.  I believe hormones must come into play.  I HATE dumping!  I get it at least once a week since surgery  ( april of 2009)  but I am so glad to have it.  With a food addiction-  I need to have a "reason" to not eat foods  lol

Thank you so much for posting and pinning this educational posting. Early after surgery i would vomit at the drop of a hat on all kinds of foods that were appropriate (e.g chicken, etc.).   So I really didn't have many slips until around last holiday season.  I thought I wasn't dumping because I didn't vomit. However,  now that I am more educated by your post I realize that I did have dumping from the slip.  So glad you helped me make the coorelation that my surgery is still working and the negative effects of slipping!

I had a bad episode of d.s. just once, with the shakes, etc.  But I often feel a terrible need to lie down if I ate too much, or had meals too close together, or drink water too soon after I eat.

Because of various things one day I did not eat breakfast at home but brought  a Greek yogurt to work. I wasn't able to eat the yogurt as soon as I got to work, and finally could eat it at around 11:30 AM, only an hour before I had to take my lunch break. So I ate lunch at 12:30..... thought I was going to pass out.

I am guessing my lunch pushed the yogurt out of my stomach too soon. I think I have a pretty slow metabolism and food seems to sit in my stomach for a long time. If I have water too soon after I eat I feel like I was waterboarded (exaggeration here -- sorry!) it seems to just fill me up to the neck. I need an hour or more, to drink any water after I eat.

The thing that gave me d.s. was something fatty that I ordered in a restaurant. I had not expected the dish to be fried but it was and I felt well, okay, I will just have a few bites. You don't want to hear the rest of that story, believe me!

bklyn*babe

I was just wondering what other symptoms some of you may have had with dumping syndrome.  Not too long ago I had a terrible case of diahrrea.  This is a little graphic but, what I didn't expect was the intense pain in my lower abdomen and my rectum!  I felt as if something was horribly wrong. I was in so much pain it was difficult to walk from the bathroom back to my bedroom.  It eventually subsided but I will not be having any more sugar any time soon if ever again!   It was absolutely horrible.  To be honest I'm sort of glad it happened because now I know I'll never gain any of my old weight back.  Hey, there's a silver lining in everything isn't it?

What you are describing is often just a case of something you ate irritating your digestive system and you body wanting it OUT as soon as possible. That can also be quite miserable:( Your right, I certainly recognize the silver lining in such events... whatever helps us walk the straight and narrow;)

Hi--I beg to differ with you--I had dumping for years before I had surgery. I had most of the listed symptoms, and wondered how many others did the same thing. I'm 16 months out. I sometimes don't feel good, or get dizzy, or speedy, and if I sit down and be quiet, it passes in less than an hour. I am grateful that I don't vomit. Ya-hoo!

:(.. Peanut butter in my protein shake just did me in. Hello first case of dumping syndrome since surgery! All natural. Oil on the top. Didn't matter to my body and now I feel like death warmed over.

After a couple months of reading about dumping syndrome on this forum,and not having any problems with it at all, tonight, it finally happened to me..but, not from eating a candy bar, or milk shake or something forbidden at this point..but from watermelon..I must of gulped it down or something because after a minute or 2....I got dizzy and started to sweat, I ran to the toilet and got there just in time...now I know what all you all have been talking about..not good...I feel good now, but, that sucks!..lol

Hi--I beg to differ with you--I had dumping for years before I had surgery. I had most of the listed symptoms, and wondered how many others did the same thing. I'm 16 months out. I sometimes don't feel good, or get dizzy, or speedy, and if I sit down and be quiet, it passes in less than an hour. I am grateful that I don't vomit. Ya-hoo!

Did you have hypoglycemia pre-op? I did and and still do.

Thank you so much for pinning this.

Well I can't believe it, but over 3 years after surgery I had my first dumping episode in over a year.  I have issues with milk after surgery so I bought some almond milk.  Big mistake in that I did not buy the unsweetened.  Didn't realize there were so many types.  This morning I had my Kaishi cereal with the almond milk.  About 5 minutes later bam.  I got the following symptoms.  I hadn't dumped in so long at first I didn't realize what it was.  I am throwing the sweetened almond milk out.  I will try the unsweetened.  Probably also didn't help that I have been eating really clean for the last few weeks.  Trying to loose these few pounds I have gained and getting back to eating the way I know is best. 

• Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Sweating
  • Weakness, fatigue
  • Shakiness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

I hadn't dumped in so long at first I didn't realize what it was.  I am throwing the sweetened almond milk out.  I will try the unsweetened.  Probably also didn't help that I have been eating really clean for the last few weeks.  Trying to loose these few pounds I have gained and getting back to eating the way I know is best. 

Thank you again for pinning this.

Cherryl

1. I get them less often these days.  Being careful about what the sugar content is in what you eat is key in avoiding it.  I get shaky, weak, rapid heartbeat and I sweat profusely.  Almost always would happen with ice cream and I thought I was lactose intolerant.  

It hasn't been long since your surgery. Don't worry, there's still hope! Have you tried cutting out dairy for a few days? You may be experiencing some temporary lactose intolerance. It's not uncommon in the first couple of months after surgery. And it often resolves itself so you don't have to avoid dairy forever.

I'm so glad to hear this. I am already having diarrhea and I haven't had surgery yet. I am at the end of my two week liquid diet. Surgery is day after tomorrow.

I have had what I think is dumping several times since surgery (I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op).  I get a pain in my chest and feel like something is stuck and then I get sweaty and have to make myself throwup.  I don't know if it's from eating too fast, too much, not cut up small enough or what.  I feel like a bulimic having to make myself throw up several times after eating some things.  This has helped.  Could use some tips for food plan ideas for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks post op - Help!!!  I see my surgeon on Thursday of this week and will explain this to him.  Thanks! 

Mel - That's not really what I would describe dumping syndrome is.  Dumping syndrome is more related to what happens once the food moves from your pouch to your intestine.  What you describe sounds more like stuck food to me (or an overfull pouch).  The sweating is your body's response to the stress and the desire to vomit.  The key here is (1) not eating too much - stop when you start to feel pressure or pain - really, don't convince yourself its ok to keep going beause you want to get your protein in (that's what I did - at 2 weeks out, I could handle 2-3 TB of pureed food and I would push myself to eat all of it even when I had pain); (2) eat slowly - try to take 20-30 mintues to eat 2-3TB of food - I used a baby spoon to keep my bites small; and (3) CHEW CHEW CHEW (30 times a small bite).   Its important once you are on purees that you do try to eat some dense protein, but you need to chew it up even though its pureed.   If you are doing all three of the things above and you are still having lots of stuck food or a pouch that feels too full, then I suggest you call your doctor to make sure that everything is healing up ok and you don't have a stricture. 

One suggestion I have in puree is the Buffalo Chicken Dip (if you like spicy) that you can find in the Recipe Forum here.  It puree's up really well and its easy to chew and swallow without getting too dry.   Good luck!

Need a little bit of your thoughts here. Last night I couldn't sleep so I came back out to the living room to find my daughter eating a bowl of Cocoa Krispies, she said I should try some. Not having any cereal or milk since surgery, 6 months ago, I said sure.

OMG, the pain!!! It started out with my chest pounding and sweats a flowing. Decided to go ball up in a ball like I have done countless times before. after about an hour of dozing in and out of sleep, the worst stomach cramps I have ever experienced started. They were extreme and rhythmic, 30 seconds of sharp pains with a min or so in between them. This continues for about an hour and then it moved onto sharp pains and passing gas to diarrhea.

I have dumped dozens of times over the past 6 months and never experienced something like this!! I have experienced cramps to gas to diarrhea but never anything like this. Could this be a lactose issue with the milk? I never want to experience that type of stomach cramps again.

And yes I know I should not have had the bowl of cereal in the first place, but I did!

Maybe it was a fail safe that the doc had installed for just such an event...  :lol:

Definitely sounds like dumping. Cereal is a sure way to become miserable, especially sugary cereal. Dumping happens when large carbohydrate (specifically sugar) molecules pass into your intestines too quickly. Having cereal with milk is a surefire way to dump even if you aren't a sensitive dumper. The milk mixes with the cereal and allows it all to pass very quickly into your intestines. Sorry to hear you were miserable, I can totally relate. But I am happy to see your "failsafe" was on the job and I'll bet I can safely say it'll be a while til you try THAT again, huh? ;)

Amen!!!!  :D

Thank you ALL for the information sharing...last night was my first dumping episode since surgery just shy of 4 weeks ago. I wanted to die it was so painful. I have been so very careful since surgery as I HATE to vomit...I will do almost anything not to vomit and last night after 4 episodes in the bathroom I knew I had to come online and figure out what the heck happened! I had a small portion (1 oz maybe?) of baked salmon. Maybe I didn't chew it well enough, maybe the olive oil drizzled on top before baking did it, or maybe my body just said NO. I can tell you it won't happen again! I appreciate all the insights each of you post as to your experiences and what works for you.