Sign in to follow this  

Hi Dr. Callery. I'm having gastric bypass on March 12th. I've had two c-sections and literally vomitted throughout the entire procedures and for the next 9 hours straight. I've been told I probably have an adverse reaction to morphine, which is apparently common. However, the vomitting is horrible.

How will all this vomitting effect my stomach and staples, etc during and immediately after my bypass?

Thanks!

Amy

Hi Dr. Callery. I'm having gastric bypass on March 12th. I've had two c-sections and literally vomitted throughout the entire procedures and for the next 9 hours straight. I've been told I probably have an adverse reaction to morphine, which is apparently common. However, the vomitting is horrible.

How will all this vomitting effect my stomach and staples, etc during and immediately after my bypass?

Thanks!

Amy

Dear Amy,

Vomiting in the early hours after gastric bypass will probably not affect your stomach. Let your anesthesiologist know about your previous problem. He can give you a steroid dose, zofran, and minimize narcotic use. Ask your surgeon if he uses a local anesthetic at the surgery sites and perhaps a local anesthetic infusion pump (On-Q pump). Finally, We have found that oral Lortab is a very effective pain reliever. We seldom use iv narcotic after the patient returns from the recovery room.

Hope these suggestions help.

Dr. Callery

Thank you so much!

Thanks!

Amy

Hi I am 18 days out. The morophine gave me a horrible headache but the day after surgery I didn't even have to use it. Maybe it was just me, but I did not find this surgery to be all that painful and mind you, I've had 7 different types of surgery. maybe you wont even need the moraphine. I didn't. Good luck!

Ellen