Pre-Op Diet...how's everyone doing? (and what are your tricks?)

Hi, all. I'm on stage 1 of my pre-op diet. Here's a quick overview of it:

Stage 1: (at 4 weeks out) 1 shake +2 300-cal meals +2 snacks

Stage 2: (at 3 weeks out) 2 shakes +1 300-cal meal +2 snacks

Stage 3: (at 2 weeks out) 3 shakes + 3 liquid snacks

I really wish that I could just go with full liquid....this graduated substitution feels a bit like telling an alcoholic to only drink beer?? Anyway, I'm about 8 lbs down from the golden ticket weight, but I'm audibly hungry. :) Not looking forward to the last 2 stages but SO THANKFUL that this is the last diet I'll ever be on. Woo hoo!

My tricks:

1. My NUT suggested sipping chicken broth instead of water when I'm crazy hungry. Almost no cals but it does have some protein. My surgeon's office considers broth free. Hot broth tend to be more filling for me.

2. Right now, I'm freezing my protein shake. Chewing, for some reason, makes me feel like I'm getting more than sipping does.

How's everyone else doing?

4 weeks of Atkins for me.....and then clear liquids the day before surgery 2/23. It's actually been pretty good--- craving pretty much subsided after the first week. Good luck on your diet and your upcoming surgery, I'm sure you'll do great!

hey nesting doll WE HAVE THE SAME DATE WOOHOOOO GO US

I Start my pre op diet in 5 days i think..lol but i have to do 3 weeks of opti fast VLCD and he wants me to aim for 10lbs or more loss in that 3 weeks totally do able.. im not having a good bye to food night the night before either.. think its silly but am having lil bits of everything in moderation..

looking forward to hearing everyones pre op diets.. marchers are going to do fab

hey nesting doll WE HAVE THE SAME DATE WOOHOOOO GO US

YAY! It's like a wedding date, right? Lots of prep, good stress. Sooooo excited. Today is my start date for 2nd stage in my pre-op diet. After the scales balance out, I'm down 10 lbs from step 1, but I wasn't as faithful as I should've been. (too many goodbye bites :) Time to buckle down and kick some major weight before the surgery. They're requiring 14, but I really want to lose at least 20. 3 more weeks and counting!

hahah good bye bites.. i like how u put that.. :P i totally need to buckle down also :wacko: its hard i havnt gotten on the scale ive decided i wont till morning of op and then be deverstated or thrilled with happiness.. :D

ur doing great and 20 lbs is a realistic goal 3 WEEKS u can do it :D 20 less to loose after the 19th

Hi ya,

I'm on my liquid diet for 3 days now... surgery on the 7 March, so I'm in the final run!

I have:

Shake in the morning with half a banana, water / low fat milk

Very runny veggie soup for lunch

Drinking yoghurt mid afternoon

Very runny watered down chicken soup for dinner

Drinking yoghurt for later

Lost 2lb last week while still on the purée diet stage, and hoping to lose more than that this week.

Have also had a headache non-stop for a week now... seriously annoying!

Drinking loads of water and trying to get swimming and walking in as much as possible to stimulate the WL

Also been constipated and my NUT says it's normal when on the liquid stage as there is little / no carbs and also very little for the body to discard.

I really thought I'd be dropping off more weight now that my intake is soooo much less than before... also think I might be retaining water!

Wish the time would rush past quicker!

Good luck!

Lost 2lb last week while still on the purée diet stage, and hoping to lose more than that this week.

Have also had a headache non-stop for a week now... seriously annoying!

Soooooooo glad to know that I'm not the only one with the headache....it's unreal, huh? My weight loss was incredibly slow in Stage 1(one meal replacement, lots of fresh veg), but now that I'm on Stage 2, it seems to be picking up. I think the final stretch will the be kicker.

@mel....WISH i could stay away from the scale. I have to lose 14 for them to go through with the surgery. I weigh in on March 6th. After that, if I don't show enough loss on surgery day, guess who goes home with a pout instead of a pouch? :) Glad that everyone doesn't have to do it...it sucks.

March people, My date is March 19 YEA!! My Dr did not require any preop diet. Just I can't eat after midnight on the night before early morning surgery. I am having lap band but most lap band people I blog with are on preop diets. I don't know what to think....people talk about needing to shrink their livers and so I have put myself on a low carb, low calorie, only very healthy diet. I am losing fast so I expect to be down quite a bit by March 19. My BMI was 39 when i started this process in mid-Feb. I am excited about this process now...most of my fears have vanished now. It's been a roller coaster. If i could just walk without pain and take fewer meds, if my comorbidities would improve so MDs smile instead of scare me with worried looks and eminent dire prediction. I have 3 little grandbabies and i want to live to see them mature. You younger ones, congrats on deciding to take control before its too late. I almost waited too long at 60. I am praying for all my lapband and March 2012 surgery bloggers. MelVan

good luck melvan we also have the same surgery date.. going to be a few of us going in on the 19th here in aust its a monday so im excited i get to spend the weeknd with my family before the monday...

ur going to do awesome

Hey guys march 9th for me! Gastric bypass. Been doing oatmeal in the am with a banana. Shake with an apple for lunch. Yogurt for a snack. Then chicken and veggies for dinner. No last meal here. I've had hundreds of those ;) excited for surgery this Friday. I am on liquid diet wednesday and Thursday. Any march 9ths out there??!!

hey good luck i cant wait to hear about how iti went for u

You guys are on preop diets? I wasnt put on one.. maybe i should try it anyways?

Today begins my full-on, hard core 100% liquid 2 week diet. This just in: Ensure protein shakes are 25 grams of protein for 210 calories. Perfect for grabbing on the go between classes.....no refrigeration needed. HERE WE GO! Getting super excited.

Today I hit the week mark on my liquid diet. Had less today than any day thus far (but was recovering from an upper endoscopy/anesthesia this morning). Three more days of Carnation Instant Breakfast 4x a day and lots of water. Sunday is the clear liquid diet and Monday is the big day (they moved my surgery up so it's a little less than 2 weeks liquid diet)!

Today I hit the week mark on my liquid diet. Had less today than any day thus far (but was recovering from an upper endoscopy/anesthesia this morning). Three more days of Carnation Instant Breakfast 4x a day and lots of water. Sunday is the clear liquid diet and Monday is the big day (they moved my surgery up so it's a little less than 2 weeks liquid diet)!

3 days to go??? You've got it MADE! What good news, moving the surgery up....awesome. Can't wait to see how it goes for you.

PS---Is anyone else feeling INCREDIBLY SLUGGISH on this pre-op diet? I've been tracking my cals and been getting less than 600/day, complete with headache. Went to the PCP for a b12 shot, but certainly not seeing the difference. Hoping I'm not just the weirdo on the block. :)

Edited by nestingdoll

My date is March 20th and I have been on a liquid diet for a few days now. I try to drink 2-3 protein isolate shakes per day with skim milk. I usually get 80-120 grams of protein a day. I also drink Special K protein water packets which are pretty darn good. I was having headaches but I found out it was because I drink a lot of Iced tea and I went to a decaf and it was because of lack of caffeine. I went to rotating decaf and regular and then slowly went to no regular and it worked fine no more headaches. I started February 22nd at 434lbs and last night I was down to 410lbs. I hope to be around 390lbs on the day of surgery.

well ive cheated twice on this pre op diet =( so mad at my self but im just having 3 shakes daily plus water and the headaches are doing my head in plus work studies and family life IM STARVING!!!!! as soon as i had something head ache went... back on track tomo..

P.S the cheat was a salad with chicken and the other one was some yougurt... not like it was 1000 cals on a big mac.. but still.. back to it tomo

and YES IM FEELING TIRED ALL THE TIME... cant wait to be feel normal again i just keep singing... Dora just keep on swimming keep on swimming... hehe

I finally hit the sluggish state... My last day of work until I've recovered from surgery was yesterday and I found myself trying reallllllly hard to stay awake at my desk (it was a slow day in the advertising world). I went home at 3:45 and slept until 7:45. Much needed nap. Woke up this morning to realize I had left my milk out on the counter so must make a trek to the store before I can have my instant breakfast today. Sluggish and forgetful... but soon that will be in the past. Clear liquids only starting tomorrow.

Good luck to all of y'all still on your liquid diets.. YOU CAN DO IT! :D

15 lbs down this morning, but I'm certain that a few of them are from the loss of my brain....still sluggish and stupid. This morning, I forgot my address.

@Mel---If you did have a Big Mac, I'd kick you in the shins and steal it today. :)

Lucky Annie, counting down with you, girl. You have to be twitching with excitement this weekend!

Well i am out and about! The surgery was a walk in the park... Albeit 6 hours late (i was only done at 22:00). Iwas in hospital for 2 nights and the surgeon was happywith me.

No pain in hospital... Due to intravenous drugs... And have been walking and doing physio's exercises at home to try and rid myself from the evil gas... Which is undoubtably the worst thing about the whole experience. It hurst like a MF!!!!

I havebeenbattling to sleep as i normally do so on my stomach and after the surgery can only do it on my back... Which is against my grain altogether. Last night i slept (without a peep) for 10 hours straight andthis morning i feel smashing!

I have been sip sip sipping my liquds diligently ever since the surgery and i can understandwhy folks say it's the pits... It consumes your whole day... Very tedious to say the least, but obviiously necessary as you can only handle a sip at a time, and you Always feel full... Which is a novel feeling for me.

FOOD IS THE VERY LAST THINGON MY MIND! Nutrition however is priority and i'm vigilant in my attempt to not dehydrateand to get my nutrients in,

It has onlybeena few days, but my butt is considerably smaller already.

Oh i almost forgot... I had a shower on day 2 which was wonderful, and i decided to clean my 6 little wounds myself and replaster them... Bad idea!!!!

I almost fainted and the experience was totally overwhelming!! Seeing the abundance of staples in my belly made the whole experience and magnitude thereof very real.... Tears pouring down my skinny cheeks:-)

I plan ondoing a lot more walking today as i want to me rid of all this gas before i fly home on wednesday evening... Can't wait to see my husband (who is loosing his mind not being by my side).

Pl excuse my typing... I'm doing on the tablet andnot use to this touch screen business!

Plenty of Kudos to all you ladies who have been on the liquid diet for more that a week!!! Doc only requried I do liquid diet 2 days pre op. Big day is tomorrow! Meaning this is day 2. Boy o boy was day 1 hard! I dont feel too bad today, but yesterday totally kicked my butt!!!

Pre op started yesterday, i am on a two week diet of 3 meal replacements like slim fast, ot Atkins bars, unlimited specific veggies and 3 oz of real ptotien (chicken, eggs, or fish) per day. I made a great veggie soup that I could eat all day with the allowed vegetables.

The count down begins. 13 days till surgery!!!!!! My best to all of you, I can't wait to read about all of your post op success!!!!!!

I have 5 days until surgery. The first week of this liquid diet was the pits and was harder than the first time I did it. (Did liquid for a week to lose 5% for insurance) However, I have done really well the last couple of days and I am 4 pounds away from being under 400lbs which has been a long time. I have lost 31lbs in just the last 3 weeks. I just can't wait to get this surgery behind me and start my new life.