Lindsay

11/11...stalled And Questions

I've read the post about stalls and yes, it did make me feel better, but I'm still not "ok" with it, kwim? I can feel that I'm shrinking even though the scale isn't moving, but I'm wondering how much other November 2011 post-ops have lost at this point, just on average.

I'm only down 39 lbs since surgery and it seems like it should be so much more. I feel a lot smaller and the difference is really pronounced, but I feel like the loss is really slow and like I'm failing or something. :( I know I'm not, but you can't help what's in your head.

How much have you lost?

Are you exercising? I am at least five days/week (30 min cardio) and weight training 3 days/week. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but this is crazy!

I'm hydrated, getting in all my vitamins, and getting at least 70 g of protein every day.

Has anyone else been in a stall like this? It's getting close to three weeks and I'm paranoid.

I know it is hard not seeing that scale move as fast as we would like, but we have to remember that scale is still moving faster than it ever could have prior to this life-saving and life-changing surgery.

What is most important is that you are changing your eating habits, you are doing what your doctor told you, that scale is still going down (no matter how slow or with how many stalls), and that you are feeling better physically.

We are working so hard to change our lives so that we can live healthy and happy ones, that is what we need to focus on. Those numbers will change in time as a result :)

As for me, I actually had to stop exercising as last week I ended up in the ER from excruciating pain in my mid lower belly. My surgeon said no lifting or exercise til I see him end of this month. I was crushed as working out was feeling so good and making my numbers go down, but I had to refocuse that this is for life and I have to make sure, day by day, that I am healthy enough to continue this amazing journey into life and healthdom!

Keep up your spirits and doing what is right and all will be good!!! :)

I'm down 43 pounds since surgery, and my surgery was almost four weeks before you. We all lose at our own pace, even if it's not as quickly as we'd like! My surgeon said I'm where I should be for three months, but I can't say it made me feel that much better :)

You may want to make sure you're eating enough calories too - with all that working out, your body needs the fuel. But I think you're doing fantastically! Congrats on your success!

Lindsay - you're heading in the right direction babe - we don't all lose weight at the same rate and things like a pre-op diet and the fact that you didn't start out at a super heavyweight comes into play too.

Good that you're getting 70g of protein but I suspect you're not consuming enough calories.

Our body is a marvelous thing - if it's not getting enough nutrition, it goes into starvation mode and starts holding onto the little it gets. You're doing a good amount of exercise which'll just make that worse.

Thank you, ladies! I think I am terrified of failing and have probably been restricting calories a little too much. I was worried about that, but then I convinced myself that "less was more", even though I know in my head it's not.

I set a goal last night to really track my food for the next few weeks, so hopefully that will really help me. Yesterday was a "bottomless pit" kinda day, the once a month variety, and I was feeling major guilt even though nothing I ate was "bad", kwim?

Thanks for making me feel better! :) I'll just keep plugging along and hope to be under 250 the next time I weigh myself! ;)

I am down 70 lbs since surgery (11/8/11) I really need to up my exercise all I do is walk..

70 pounds is a TON!!! Congratulations!

Lindsey, I am down 35lbs since date of Surgery and too have been discouraged. I have been in a stall for 3 weeks and only lost 5lbs this month.

I sure hope things pick up for me soon :)

The good news is I finally made it to Onederland.

I hope things pick up for you too.

Lindsey, you've been losing (I figured it out!) 4 lbs a week on average - exactly what I'm doing, and as someone said absolutely fabulous compared to what we'd be doing without the surgery!!! I'm down 50 lbs since surgery as of today, but my surgery was 2 weeks before you - again, just about the 4 lbs/week average.

I had a 3 week stall starting at my 4th week - drove me NUTS!!! It finally ended, and things have been going pretty steady since then. You just have to keep doing the good things and try not to let it bother you. Remember, this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle now. We aren't going to just do this for a while and then stop doing it and go back to our old ways - not an option anymore. So, even when we stall we just keep doing the right things, exercising and making good food choices and hydrating, and make sure we aren't gaining.

You are doing fine!

Gina, you started at a lower weight than Lindsey, and people like you seem to lose more slowly because they have less to lose. You are in Onederland, though - congratulations!!!!!! I'm creeping towards it, but not there yet.

The stalls are a challenge, no question, but keep up with what you are doing and you'll be fine - don't let it bother you!!!

Take care, God bless!!

Judy

I am down 41 pounds since surgery and I don't exercise at all really yet. I am encouraged to see how well we are all doing as Team November 2011!

I have lost a few poinds, then nothing for a week, then a few, then nothing. It is a slow go.

Hang in there - you are doing great! Just think where you will be in 8-9 more months!

Guess WHAT??? :) The scale FINALLY moved this morning!!! I could not have been a happier mama today. Under 250 for the first time in a looooooooooong time!!!

Gina, congrats on Onderland! I will seriously jump for joy when I make it there!!!

Thanks again, guys! Glad I finally found a forum that I really like and feel comfortable in!

Guess WHAT??? :) The scale FINALLY moved this morning!!! I could not have been a happier mama today. Under 250 for the first time in a looooooooooong time!!!

Gina, congrats on Onderland! I will seriously jump for joy when I make it there!!!

Thanks again, guys! Glad I finally found a forum that I really like and feel comfortable in!

HUGE CONGRATS!!!!

And keep up the great work!!!!!! :)

Every day is a new one! Great job hanging in there...

I think you guys are all doing a fabulous job. Stalls are normal from what I read. I am just stupendisouly happy that I am 51 pds lighter. Every pound (or kilo for us Aussies) is a bonus.

I find it extremely painful to do any form of exercise as I had spinal surgery to remove a disc also last year (twice) and suffer from chronic pain in the back and knees due to a fall at work! I have since found that I have another crack in another disc in my back and have another disc which is bulging. It is very difficult for me just to walk.

Good luck to all. Theresa

Theresa, I'm so sorry you are having so many pain issues. I hope they can help you to be more active!

Judy

:( Theresa, that sounds so painful! I'm so sorry.

Does exercising in the water help at all?

Since I have had my surgery I am down 48 pounds. I am considered a light weight and happy that it is coming off so fast. I do exercise 5 days a week, with 2 days of weights plus cardio. My husband says he has the girl back that he married. I have set my goal at 135 which will get me to a normal BMI. I am also wearing a size 6 in pants and a medium in a shirt. With that being said I am so glad I had the WLS. I am healthier than I have been in a long time. All my comorbidities have resolved themselves, to include my diabetes.

My weight lost has slowed down but that is ok. I am only losing about a pound a week now. That means that I will hopeful hit my goal my the summer. I looked in the mirror the other day and finally saw what everyone else see. I am thin again and look and feel great.

Congratulations to all! We are making great strides to get healthy and from what I am reading we are all having success in our ventures.

:( Theresa, that sounds so painful! I'm so sorry.

Does exercising in the water help at all?

Theresa, I'm so sorry you are having so many pain issues. I hope they can help you to be more active!

Judy

Hi Judy and Lindsay

I do hydrotherapy but its not the same as doing physical activity including just a simple walk. It becomes very painful on the knees and especially the back.

You guys are doing fantastic by the way!

Regards Theresa

I just got out of a two week stall, thank goodness! I thought I was going to go crazy.

I'm at 171 now. Only 31 more lbs til goal.

How is everyone's skin doing? Mine is soooooooo saggy. I'm 25 years old and look like my skin belongs to a 60 year old. :(

My skin looks pretty rough, too. I am HATING my stomach. I'm also stalled again. GRRRRRRR! :angry:

I feel like my loss is really slow and I can't believe I've stalled again. Next week will be four months and I feel like I'm not that far along. I've lost 87 total, but only like 53 is post-surgery. How much has everyone else lost since surgery? :unsure:

Its my four month surgiversary today!! Ironically, I also hit "onderland" this morning finally. I was in the hospital over the weekend with a kidney stone that required removal, so my weight was at 205 when I came home from surgery on Sunday night. I was a bit discouraged but I knew it would come off. Anyway, I think I was 252 the day of surgery and 258 when I came home from the hospital, so I've lost 60% of my excess weight and 10% of my overall body fat. I had my labs drawn yesterday and met with a nurse practioner at my bariatric center and she seemed pleased. She said most gastric bypass patients lose 65-75% of their excess weight, so I am doing great. Interestingly, she also also said if you move from the obese category to the overweight category, you are considered a WLS success. She said few people actually achieve a normal BMI after surgery. That kind of threw me for a loop, but I'm not going to get too discouraged about it since I'd only have to drop another 30 pounds to get to a normal BMI. I can't believe it's been four months already!! I'm not giving up on a normal BMI as a goal too. I think it's doable!

Congratulations on Onderland!!! :) Sorry you were inpatient, though. :( Other than that, it sounds like you're doing REALLY well!!!

I only lost 12 lbs before surgery, so since surgery I have lost 70lbs. ... probably a whole pound is of hair!! :( I am looking skinnier but now I am seeing different flaws with my body, like my thinning hair and sagging skin... just sooo mush sagging skin everywhere. Does anyone know how far out you have to be before you can get a tummy tuck? I need a boat load of excess skin removed from my stomach and while I'm asleep, they might as well give me new boobs. lol.

How many sizes have you all lost? I went from 1X shirts to L and from size 20 pants to size 11/12... I am broke though so I only own one pair of pants that fit me.

WOW! I have NO pants that fit me right now, lol. That's a ton of sizes to drop...congrats! From what I've heard, 18-24 mos out is when you can start considering plastics. I was ready for one like two months ago, lol. I HATE my stomach! I would be in much smaller sizes if it weren't for it. Grrr...

I'm finally in onederland as well, it wasn't as big a deal as I thought, but things are going well. In tops I've gone from 2x/3x to L/XL, which is thrilling because I can shop the clearance racks in regular stores for lovely bargains!!! I haven't tracked pants as closely, but I started at 3x and last time I bought any they were 16/18 and now those are loose, so I'm going down. I need to find good underpinnings to manage the belly flap though, because without them I can't wear tights - they fit my legs, but not my big flappy belly, so they fall down!

Regarding surgery, I heard (in one or more posts) that you have to have stopped losing for a year before getting surgery.

It's so amazing to be losing this weight, looking so good, but especially having more energy and stamina!! Now that gardening season is starting I find I can work for hours outside and get so much more done now, and so I have high hopes for a gorgeous garden this year. In years past I really struggled, and the weeds quickly got the best of me but this year will truly be different.

Congrats to one and all, keep up the great work and enjoy this blessing!

Judy