Sign in to follow this  
Melissa314

1 Week Post Op

Hello! I am one week post op today. I had the gastric bypass. Yesterday I had a follow up with my nutritionist and surgeon and everything looked great and I was advanced to the soft diet. I feel like I can eat more than the nutritionist told me I should be able to. I am eating slow and not eating for more than 30 mins at a time. I was able to eat a whole container of yogurt today (4-6 oz). I am listening to my body and know when to stop. I haven't had any problems with nausea or vomiting at all since my surgery. My nutritionist said I should only be able to eat 1-3 oz right now and that is not the case. I am still eating small amounts but not that small. Is this going to be a problem in the future?

Hello! I am one week post op today. I had the gastric bypass. Yesterday I had a follow up with my nutritionist and surgeon and everything looked great and I was advanced to the soft diet. I feel like I can eat more than the nutritionist told me I should be able to. I am eating slow and not eating for more than 30 mins at a time. I was able to eat a whole container of yogurt today (4-6 oz). I am listening to my body and know when to stop. I haven't had any problems with nausea or vomiting at all since my surgery. My nutritionist said I should only be able to eat 1-3 oz right now and that is not the case. I am still eating small amounts but not that small. Is this going to be a problem in the future?

Dear Melissa,

Your gastric pouch is most likely a narrow conduit that is about 2 to four inches long. The volume of the conduit is anywhere from 10 to 35 ml depending on the exact shape of the pouch. The pouch acts more like a tube than a tank. If you eat liquid or liquid-like food it will probably pass through fairly quickly, whereas when you move on to solid food, there will be more of a restriction. Also, there is a great deal of variation from one patient to another.

As time goes on your pouch heals. At first it is relatively still (noncompliant). Later it will be softer and stretchier.

So I don't make predictions about how much someone will be able to eat. Rather I advise caution and stress the need to slowly advance to thicker foods over 6 to 12 weeks. Especially in the first few weeks there is the possibility that if you got thick food stuck in your pouch and vomit, you could split the staple line. This would cause a leak and infection. So thin foods in small portions is safer than thick foods at first. Since each person is different, check you own progress, but don't spend too much time comparing yourself with others.

Dr. Callery