What's With The Belching?

Yaya

Seriously can't hardly stand it. I drink, I belch. I eat, I belch. I take my vitamins, I belch. I don't mean just little burps, I mean belch loudly. I can't control it and if I try it's painful. Sometimes I can feel it gurgling around in there and like it gets stuck then it's really painful. I actually had someone burp me like a baby today in order to help it move.

Ever since I had surgery - I rarely burp. The only time I do is if I drink too quickly and swallow air but other than that... nothin. Prolly cause I'm not drinking 5 diet cokes everyday like I used to. :lol:

Edited by jessikagurl101

You might be swallowing air when you eat or drink. It's easy to do, for sure. I also understand burping and belching are quite common early out. I had a lot of that early out, really forceful, nearly painful belches, but now I'm down to gentle burps (I'm nearly 3 weeks out). I suppose you could try GasX and see if it helps. I think they have a chewable or strip that dissolves on the tongue.

I burp a lot when I eat or drink but mostly when I eat. I have yet to eat and not burp since post-op. So most people that I'm with know and understand. If they don't... too bad. I can't really help it....

Sometimes I'm fine, sometimes it's one belch after another!!! Of course, I was a person who'd belch after a sip of grape juice and morsel of bread at communion BEFORE surgery, so I'm not too surprised. That said, I have learned that (for me at least) if I make a conscious effort to let the gas out, rather than belch around it (which sort of holds it in) it gets better. Maybe you could try that? It sort of feels like burping, but then sort of pressing down, letting the gas flow and preventing whatever mechanism makes the noise and pushes it back???

Welcome to our belching/farting club, friend!!! :P

Judy

I burp a lot too... it's gotten better since I've been trying to blow out air before I take a sip of my water and I sometimes do it with my food... I think I was taking in a lot of air when I open up to drink/eat... its kinda strange but as they say its better out than in :)

I feel ya. Im.so much burping as I am having craaaazy hicups after each sip of water, or bite.of food. I try blowing the air out of my mouth before I swallow, but even that doesnt always help. I hatw that feeling of the gurgles and just wishing for a burp or hicup, becuase for me too, ot hurts really bad to try to.hold it in. Uuuggh. Lol

• 8 years later...

I had my bypass 5yrs ago and only recently started belching. I’ve tried to make sure I’m not swallowing air when I eat or to make sure I’m not eating too fast. No matter what I have loud sometimes painful belches. I’m on Prevacid but that doesn’t help the belching. 

5 hours ago, Kay 219 said:

I had my bypass 5yrs ago and only recently started belching. I’ve tried to make sure I’m not swallowing air when I eat or to make sure I’m not eating too fast. No matter what I have loud sometimes painful belches. I’m on Prevacid but that doesn’t help the belching. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Kay.

Have you seen your surgeon about the belching?

• 1 year later...