Tash78

Is There Anyone Who Doesn't Regret Their Lapband

Oh my goodness. Is there anyone at all that doesnt regret their lapband surgery?? I keep reading horror story after horror story and I am supposed to be banded in

3 weeks. Please someone tell me something good.

I'd go for the bypass.

It's not too late to change your mind. I had my lapband for 6 years and ended up 10kg heavier than my previous top weight (with perspective, without the lapband I would have been a lot bigger than that.)

I had a reversal to gastric bypass 5 weeks ago. It's better. Trust me.

Sorry. Not the answer you wanted, was it? I met a guy who had lost 60kg with his lap band and he loved it to pieces. So there's a happy story for you.

Remember for every person with a complication or issue there are several people doing well and not posting. I have a friend who loves her lapband. She hasnt had issues at all. She has lost about 70 pounds over three years. Its going to work differently for each person and depends on lots of factors. Your dr shouldnt have suggested it unless he thought you were a good candidate.

I am curious was the lapband your choice or recommended by the dr? Based on your stats and goal, you are looking to lose more than lapband may offer. Just my opinion of course, based on reading posts and my WLS seminar instruction.

Even though I started in the lightweight end, I wasnt sure I had the will power for lapband or sleeve. I started the process for lapband just based on the ammount of weight to lose, I thought GBS was to extreem and insurance didnt cover the sleeve. I was susequently denied for lapband due to my multiple comorbidities, the dr thought I would be wasting my time and need a revision anyway. GBS has fit me well. I just need to say, that you need to be 100% confident in your descion for whichever you are having.

Hugs,

Shell

Try searching this forum on this topic (lap band vs bypass vs sleeve). I know that there are many threads on this topic and this question comes up a lot. I started out wanting the lapband because on the surface it seems less drastic and intrusive. However, after lots of research, I switched to the bypass. My surgeon told me that in general I could expect that I would lose 50% of my excess weight with the lapband, about 70% of excess weight with the sleeve and about 80% with the bypass. I decided on the bypass for a lot of reasons, foremost was that if I was going through all of this I didn't want to end up overweight when I was done.

If you have comorbidities like diabetes then do the research on that because the bypass is the surgery most likely to produce positive results quickly.

I have seen many people on here with the sleeve and the band who are happy and successful in their weight loss and who have exceeded the statistics provided by my doctor. Please do more research on here and elsewhere and start a checklist of the plusses and minuses. Good luck and remember that you will get lots of support from this forum irrespective of which surgery you choose. Come back on here-- and ask lots and lots of questions...we are all happy to help.

Tash-- here is a thread that I started before my surgery, when I was in a similar position to you. I know that there are other threads on here also:

Oh my goodness. Is there anyone at all that doesnt regret their lapband surgery?? I keep reading horror story after horror story and I am supposed to be banded in

3 weeks. Please someone tell me something good.

Tash - overwhelmingly, lapband patients are in the minority on Thinner Times so possibly, you're not getting a good overall picture of the successes.

There are many successful bandsters out there and there are some excellent lapband exclusive forums like lapbandtalk.com, band2gether.net, bandedliving.com, obesityhelp.com etc. etc.

Take a look around those forums - I think you'll find a clearer picture of just how successful the band can be if you have the commitment to follow what's required to make your band a success.

Please don't think that I'm running you off T-T. Far from it! I'd like to see more successful lapband patients on this forum - hopefully, you can share your experiences with us as your journey progresses.

I love my band. No complications. Almost 4 years out. 70 pounds gone. I've been maintaining my weight loss for 2 years.

I never looked into the lapband for 2 reasons:

1) I had diabetes and needed the gastric bypass to help me reverse diabetes/put it into remission, which did happen after surgery

2) My surgeon refused to do revisions from lapband to gastric bypass if later on I decided to switch from lapband to gastric bypass. She encounters too many complications and scarring issues so she will not do them (which was fine with me because I was not going to do lapband anyway).

That said, everyone is different and everyone chooses what they feel, in their gut, it right for them. I absolutely needed to lose weight but I more so, needed to take care of my diabetes, high blood pressure and high triglycerides. All of these were remedied by gastric bypass and the change it has brought to me life. I am very happy with my choice but that means gastric bypass was right for me. I also like that (so far) I have zero hunger. I know some people still deal with hunger issues with the laband because the entire stoamch is still intact. I basically wanted the best odds for me and my conditions and that is what lead me to gastric bypass.

Tash-- here is a thread that I started before my surgery, when I was in a similar position to you. I know that there are other threads on here also:

thank you that was a VERY good thread.......and thank you everyone. i appreciate the help.

I don't regret my lapband, I've had it almost a year now. I will admit that sometimes it has been hard work and I've wanted to convert but overall I've been happy with my progress. Remember people tend to only post when they are having problems or feeling low, so sometimes it gives the overall impression of people being unhappy.

Do you research and talk to your doctor about it all. Although after seeing the date of this post I realize that you must have already had your surgery.

The lapband is not a magic solution and you will need to work with it to get the results you want.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Rue

Hello Tash,

i absolutely do not hate my lapband! I started at 398 and am now at 248. My doctor wanted me to choose the gastric bypass, but I refused. My two year anniversary will be next month. When I started this journey, I understood and accepted that losing weight would be a process. I did not want to wake up in six months and be 100 pounds smaller. I did not want that type of dramatic change. I needed to give myself time to change emotionally, as well as physically. I was willing and prepared to work for each pound with the help of my band, which has never failed me. I have not had any serious complications and success has come as long as I have been willing to work for it. Success is definitely possible with the band. It is a simply equation of less food in and more energy out, which required me to break my unhealthy relationship with food. The band will help you with that if you work with it and not against it. I have another 60 pounds to lose and am hopeful that it will happen. If you are questioning your resolve, then you might not want the lapband because it will not PREVENT you from overeating. There will be no dumbing if you eat sugar or friend foods. It will give in to your food desires if you insist. However, i think that the bypass will do the same if you are determined enough to return to overeating.

Good luck!

Hello Tash,

i absolutely do not hate my lapband! I started at 398 and am now at 248. My doctor wanted me to choose the gastric bypass, but I refused. My two year anniversary will be next month. When I started this journey, I understood and accepted that losing weight would be a process. I did not want to wake up in six months and be 100 pounds smaller. I did not want that type of dramatic change. I needed to give myself time to change emotionally, as well as physically. I was willing and prepared to work for each pound with the help of my band, which has never failed me. I have not had any serious complications and success has come as long as I have been willing to work for it. Success is definitely possible with the band. It is a simply equation of less food in and more energy out, which required me to break my unhealthy relationship with food. The band will help you with that if you work with it and not against it. I have another 60 pounds to lose and am hopeful that it will happen. If you are questioning your resolve, then you might not want the lapband because it will not PREVENT you from overeating. There will be no dumbing if you eat sugar or fried foods. Ice cream and pie will slide right on through:D It will give in to your food desires if you insist. However, i think that the bypass will do the same if you are determined enough to return to overeating.

Good luck!

I don`t regret having the gastric band fitted over two years into my journey. My only regret is having to result to wls, period and I don`t think that would ever go away.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

I absolutely love my band. I am about 5 1/2 months post-op and have lost at least 83 lbs. I only weigh in at the doctor's office so will find out my updated weight loss later this month. Thus far I have not had any complications and feel that this is the best decision I could have made. I looked into the other surgeries as well but liked the lapband because the weight loss would be more of a gradual change and I would have to work just a little bit harder to try and acheive the results from the other WLS. I felt that by working harder at losing the weight I would personally be able to hold myself more accountable with the results.

Hi Tash, I don't regret mine. In 2 years I have lost 145 pounds and feel like a different person. It hasn't all been easy but getting into a new lifestyle never could be simple. I relaxed my band recently, had a defill while I had a gastroscope to investigate something which was not anything to do with my band. While my band was deflated for 3 months I gained some pounds but am back on track again now. I would recommend it to anyone considering bariatric surgery. There are some people who don't get on with it but I never ever considered a bypass, it just wasn't for me psychologically.

Go with what you feel is right for you Tash, then you can LIVE the rest of your life :)

Louise

i hope you go in knowing eveerything...

that you can only eat slow REALLY SLOW... meats chickens and bread basically you cant eat althou ppl cheat it, you can cheat the band you can still have slippery foods chocolate flav milks 3 years out i still had to eat slow but was SOOO hunery stretched poutch... it literally used to take me half an hour 40 mins to eat 2 bits of whole grain toast..

you throw up anything that doesnt make it past your band,

but the positives are i did loose, it in the first yr turned me off chocolate the golden arches and anything fatty..

there a pos and neg to all wls but id have to say really do your reaserch cause i just had mine taken out and i LOVED my band... and after really doing my reserch.. i shuld have just gone with the bypass in the first place..

fact if you LOVE to eat your food fast and b4 you have the opp try eating from a baby spoon or baby bites then chew 40 times each mouth ful b4 u swallow... thats the band right there..

good luck i hope it works for you..

I don't regret my band at all. 212 pounds in 13 months with no problems.

No regrets here! banded 2 1/2 years lost and maintained 100 pounds in that time. Just had to get a revision and have a larger band placed due to my stomache swelling and causing a few other problems but even with these issues...I'd do it again in a second! I love my band! Good luck with your descision!

I love my band...love it!!! Has worked amazingly well for me. No regrets. Had the band done 5/31/11 and went from my high of 316 down to 226 (home scale, we'll see what the dr. office says in a few weeks). Was in at 7 am and out at 11am...lost 60# the first 6 weeks. Has been an amazing way to learn more about my body than ever before. I personally knew this was the tool for me. Bypass just seems miserable. This is just a handy way to understand portion and portion control.

I love my band...love it!!! Has worked amazingly well for me. No regrets. Had the band done 5/31/11 and went from my high of 316 down to 226 (home scale, we'll see what the dr. office says in a few weeks). Was in at 7 am and out at 11am...lost 60# the first 6 weeks. Has been an amazing way to learn more about my body than ever before. I personally knew this was the tool for me. Bypass just seems miserable. This is just a handy way to understand portion and portion control.

Hey there!! Did we meet at Dr. Callery's support group in December?

I am seven months post op and I love my band. It is the best tool for me. It keeps me from overeating, which was my problem. I have lost 42 pounds to date and hope I have it forever. I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

Terri

Tash hasn't updated us since her last post on 20 December 2011. In looking at her information, she decided on a gastric bypass her surgery date was 1/5/2011.

I hope she's doing well and still receives notification of these replies and will pop in and let us know how she's doing.

Hope she is doing OK and made the right choice.

Edited by nanny is thinner now

I love my LB...except when I try to sneak some chips...LB doesn't like chips...LOL!

But is there anyone 10 or more years out with the LapBand?? I see many happy bandsters in the first 2 years, but don't ever read about happy 14 year veterans  Wish I did. I have had the band 7 years..it comes out tomorrow. I am not revising to any other WLS.