December 2011 Post Op

I thought it would be good to start a post op thread.

I am currently 5'days post op. I had surgery on Monday, December 12th. Things have not been hard but they are not on the easy side either. I am getting about 1/2 my liquids, half my protein, and only about 400 calories in. It is extremely hard to drink or eat anything. It took me 1.5 hours to drink a 6 oz protein shake.

I think part of the problem has been because of extreme constipation. I have almost always been regular. After my c-sections I had this same problem. From what inhave read on many other posts this is somewhat of a long term problem.

How is everyone else doing?

Well for me it was the drinking liquids. I could only get about a quarter of mine down in the first week. I am now almost 2 months post op and it takes me a whole day drink a 32oz bottle of fluids plus still get my proteins and foods. Some days are better then others and it will get a bit better as it heals, just take is small steps at a time. I would do some sugar free jello and I made home made Popsicle to help with my water intake. I like using the crystal light grape flavor.

i was constipated for the first week. once i finally could go i never had the problem going again. my doctor told me having 2 Benefiber chews a day will help me stay regular. thats what ive been doing for the past few days now and i feel less bloated and can so with ease.

I am doing great. Monday is my 2 week anniversary and I'm going back to work. Have not had problems not tolerating anything and am on to stage 3 - soft solid foods. Soup is still a staple of my diet but I have been okay with salmon, salmon patties, chicken croquettes, mandarin oranges (canned), mashed potatoes, baked bean and scrambled eggs.

My friend and I are just waiting for problems to start... But so far, I feel like a rock star!

I have lost 27 pounds since the liquid diet 2 weeks pre-op and 15 of that is post-op. I seem to lose about 2 pounds every time I step on the scale. I try to weigh myself no more than every other day. I already see the change in my clothes and am wearing a ring that hasn't fit in 2+ years!

I hope everyone else continues to do well. It is just amazing how quickly recovery is from this major surgery.

Alls good on my end. I'm at a week tomorrow. Big issues getting all of my fluid and protein in. I'm just not hungry/thirsty and there dont seem to be enough hours in the day to get it all in. Feeling fantastic though and ready to get my drain tube out so I can start picking up my little guy again!

I swear they did something to my nose along with my tummy or I am going crazy! I keep smelling things, like in the hospital it was vinger, watching a movie with my sister it was cottage cheese, my dad was cooking meat and I would have bet money from the other room it was cabage and onions, then this morning as I was trying to take my meds all I could smell was rotten eggs (which made for a rough time taking meds). Has anyone else smelled things that werent there or is it just me?

Emmy

I'm a week out and doing fine. Started full liquids yesterday (cream of shrimp soup and Greek yogurt). I'm walking 3/4 mile each day and I'm able to get in a full 2 liters of water with no problems.

My only problem is figuring out what to eat and how often. Do I have 3 meals of 2 oz each, plus 2 snacks? Is one meal a protein shake? Do I keep the protein shake down to 2 oz or do I make it like I normally would (8 oz) and drink it slowly? Arggh. The confusion!

May I join the club? I had my VSG 12/12 but never got to sign on before being overtaken by the holiday whirlwind. I haven't had any major complications, in my own opinion, only 1 episode of constipation that improved with 1 dulcolax pill. I would say my biggest challenge has been getting it all in daily - it seems that I have to drink 24 hours a day. I have my post-op visit on 1/4 and really hope to advance to puree. So far I have basically been living on broth, Atkins advantage shakes and water. For the first week nothing appealed to me but in the last 7 days everyone else's food smells good and makes me feel a little wistful (although not hungry in the physical sense). I find myself feeling anxious often and a bit overwhelmed at what's ahead. Compared to other accounts I read, I feel like I had little preparation for this procedure - a lot of "we'll fill you in when it's time for that".

Anyone have suggestions for protein shakes that won't make me gag for the next week?

Here's to a healthy happy 2012 for us all :)

I find Body Fortress Vanilla Creme (from Walmart) isn't bad, but after surgery now it's SWEEEEET. I also like Light Muscle Milk (though it's higher in sugar; also at Walmart, Costco, and other stores) and Pure Protein (at GNC and Trader Joes). A lot of forum members really like Syntrax Nectars (fruit flavors) but I haven't tried them yet. You can order a sampler from their website for $13 bucks (13 packets).

I know I'm probably the millionth person who has these fears, but I'm seriously scared this isnt going to work for me! I'm 15 days out at at my 2 week check Wednesday, I lost 11 lbs. Which I knew, thankfully our scales match up so I dont think I'm at one weight and get slapped in the face when I walk in there. Anyway, they said I need to get in more calories, protein and water. I just cant seem to do it. I wake up in the morning with great intentions....I grab my bottle of water and I'm determined to drink 3 of them! I sit here now at 9:30pm staring at the same bottle of water 3/4 empty. I made myself eggs earlier and got a few bites in and was just stuffed. My protein shake is still sitting here 1/2 full. Usually I can at least get that down and hit my protein mark for the day, but its just not happening today.

So, to top it off, I decided to weigh myself to add insult to injury. +2lbs. WTH?

I know it sounds like a pity party for 1, but I'm seriously getting frustrated! I'm trying so hard to do everything right I"m just failing. Who would have thought I'd be complaining about not being able to consume anything....IRONIC!

I feel your pain! I've had the pleasure of weighing on three different scales and got three different numbers each time. I decided I'm just going to have to go with the "official" weight at my surgeon's office. When I weighed in at my post-op followup, I hadn't lost a thing. I was so disappointed! Today, at my PCP, I weighed 8 lbs less. I almost went by the surgeon's just to weigh and see what was what. As it is, I won't see him again for another 5 weeks. Part of me thinks it's best not to weight much at all, so when you do weigh, you get better numbers.

Water has to become a habit. When I get busy I forget to drink, but I'm trying to remain very conscious of it. If I find I'm running low, I try to make up the difference later in the day if I can.

I'm still on full liquids and find it more difficult than the clear liquids. I'm looking forward to the move to the pureed phase so I can branch out a little more. So far I've had no issues with fullness or any sensation of satisfaction from food. It just goes in, 2 oz at a time. I haven't been given a specific calorie goal at this point, but I'm doing okay with my protein. I can get in about 60g pretty well, but still mostly from protein shakes and a little from yogurt.

What really bugs me are these tiny 2 oz meals of soup and yogurt that I'm supposed to take 30 min to eat. Seriously? 10, even 15, okay, but 30???? I still do it though. Teeny tiny taste. Put down spoon. Wait two minutes. Repeat. Ugh!

Thee days post and feeling pretty good overall. Walking and trying to get my protine done. Today is first day the gas pain is hitting hard but hoping to walk it out.

Started vitamins today also yuck! - gas pain in left side just under the ribs is like a softball in my ribs:(

So my surgery was on the 12/28/11 and when I got out of surgery I thought I was going to be one of the fortunate ones where the pain wasn't going to be too bad. Well the next day I started getting real bad stomach cramps that I thought was gas pains. Turned out to be blood building up in my intestines and let me tell you when it passed it was all at once and I about passed out on the toilet. Thank goodness for all the nurses that day they were real troopers. In all I had to have 3 units of blood transfused before I was well enough to come home. I spent two extra days in the hospital and the most aggraviting part is i still pass some of the old blood when I use the bathroom but it is getting better everytime I do go. On the bright side I feel much better and when I hopped on the scale today I was down 20lbs since the surgery. I know I spent an entire week on 2oz water every two hours. My protein shake was delicious today of course its the closest thing I have had to food since last tuesday but interestingly enough I have not been hungry at all. Thats all for now here well wishes for everyone who has gone through this because it definately a real test.

Day 3 post op and I felt so good for the first two full days post op thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones with little to no pain - um nope! I 'm typing this at 2:30am because the pain is just to much to stay asleep. I have had an adverse reaction to Vicodin in the past (respiratory depression) so I have only one 325g of hydrocodone every 4 hours and it is not working. In the hospital they were very concern because my resting (baseline) heart rate is 42-45 BPM and every shift the nurse and PA had to come in and wake we up to ask if this was correct. Anyway they are worried about what pain medication to give me and I can say without a doubt right now - IT IS NOT ENOUGH! I feel like my stomach muscles are trying to contract into a single ball pulling my head and legs up into my middle. Finding it hard to stand upright without forcing me to pull my shoulders back. - My parents just left to go home to Texas this morning and I can't have another pain pill for an hour and a half. - So I get to type my first post op - #%$ - update. :blink: - I did too much yesterday I know it and my father was drilling me to take it easy yesterday but as has been for the past 40 years I did not listen and yet again he was right--- That never stops being frustrating when your parents are right no matter how old you get. :P - He had a 5 way by-pass last year so he knows the limitations after major surgery but I still didn't listen. I took a 15 min walk on the treadmill at 1.5 mph and then was even trying to dust the furniture yesterday (yes I dust and clean the house :rolleyes: ) I cant stand to see a dirty house and with my 4 year old 2-1/2 year old a puppy wife and parents here it was too much. I wanted to clean from top to bottom and yet now I type before you wishing this house was still dirty!

Glad to have this forum to read up on everyone and know I'm not alone. We are the few who have chosen to take our lives back and are going to fight through this to a better life! -Pete

Yikes! Sorry you guys had trouble with pain. It makes me feel like I was very fortunate. The biggest issue I had was the uncomfortable bloating. I was never really in any pain, just what I'd describe as discomfort. The second night in the hospital was miserable.

It is easy to overdo it after surgery. I've alternated between being extremely tired and having an abundance of energy. I likely overdid it a few days, but so far I feel fine. Two weeks out I'm up to walking a full mile everyday and actually look forward to doing so. Before surgery, 1/4 mile practically killed me.

Keep the faith, it all gets better.

I had surgery on December 30th, so I'm squeaking in on the December board it seems :)

I was walking around earlier, and my belly began to ache, and it built up to some pretty intense pain. I am home now, and planning to take it easy. I might do a walking workout later, but I want to make sure I'm not pulling anything! Still pretty gassy, and the pain is in my shoulder, but not as bad as before. Had my first official "bm" this morning, it was like Christmas for me, lol! It came and went so easily, I hope this is the case going forward, as I've had problems with constipation since I was pretty young!

I had my first post-op appointment today, I am 2 weeks out tomorrow. He said I am looking good and I can peel the last of these damn steri strips off, which makes me excited because they are driving me nuts! I get to move from full liquids to pureed food, yea. I never in my whole life thought I would be excited about eating pureed food. I work in a nursing home and see the pureed food we have to feed some residents and have always told myself I would starve to death before I would eat it. Here I am excited about it though LOL. I dont have to see my surgen again for 4 weeks. I do meet with the NUT next week so she can see how I am doing with my eating and drinking. Knock on wood, I havent had any real problems drinking. I keep water with me 24/7 which helps a lot. If I make a mistake and take to big of a drink I am very uncomfortable and have to walk around for a while until I can burp. Ok is it just me or are other people having to burp a lot after they drink? Thank goodness my family isnt up tight about it and can laugh with me about how much I burp now. They also told me today that I should be able to go back to work in 2 weeks if I behave, which I am trying to do. Work wont let me back with any weight restrictions at all. I'm a CNA and more than half of what we do is moving and lifting people. I can't wait till I go back, I'm not good at relaxing at work and taking it easy and I actually really like my job which suprises a lot of people. I also really miss everyone I work with, we are a very tight group which is SO nice and makes work so much more fun! Its some how not the same talking on the phone with them as it is seeing them 40 hours a week and hanging out after work. I hope everyone else is feeling well and is ready to start to new year as healthier people!

Emmy

Good news. Sounds like you're doing great. I burped a lot the first week, but that seems to have calmed down now. I do burp, but nothing like the first few.

Im burping and hickuping like a mad woman since surgery! My hickups are the worst. If I hold them in they hurt hella bad so I have to let them out and they are this loud high pitched sound. lol They annoy me so Im sure they are going to annoy my co workers when I go back on Monday.lol (good thing my co workeres are my mom and sister and friend)

I hate my steri strips too. A couple of them finally came off today... Im tempted to pull the others off. lol Im one of those who I guess is allergic to adhesive on them so under each one I got a wonderful blood blister that is bulging and beautiful. yaay me (sarcasm)

I keep going through these little stalls. Ive been losing 2lbs a day, then one day I wont lose any but the next day, BOOM, another 2lbs gone. I keep telling myself its normal, and my hubby who had the surgery as well in '10, keeps telling me not to worry its normal... but hell, its frustrating! Its also funny that Im starting to feel more normal... as normal as normal can be for me i guess lol... and my energy level is kind of mind boggling. Im so excited and cant wait to get cleared so I can start at the gym with my hubby. The only real problem Ive been having is its so hard for me to fall asleep at night. Im thinking about trying a sleepy time tea or maybe benedril seeing as Ive been using the lortab that they sent me home with for pain, to make me tired so I can fall asleep... no bueno. Ooooooohh, and my emotions are going haywire. Tears to laughing to picking a fight back to laughing and then tears and so on. uuugh ANNOYING! lol

Well, I hope everyone is doing great! I havent posted in a while so I need to get back into the swing of things. (guess since Ill be back at work monday Ill have more time to check in)

:D :D :D:lol:

I am 3 weeks out with a sleeve.

Doing well, have lost 18 pounds since surgery Dec. 14. and a total of 26 pounds since Nov. 16th.

Eating soft foods. 3 meals per day with 2 protein shakes.

I like high protein milk and Sugar Free Carnation Chocolate Instant Breakfast.

Can eat about 1/4 cup of food.

I burp constantly!!! My family thinks it's hilarious. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out. Down 21lbs. Don't have my first post op appt until the 18th. I am still trying to get my fluids in. I just don't feel thirsty and I forget. Eating a lot of beans!!! Lol

Katie bug- I can't sleep either. Doc told me to take liquid benadryl. It's helping

My husband has been so amazing. He really takes care of me. My four kids have helped too my youngest is 3. When I start to pick him up he says. No mommy, you can't pick me up, your belly will hurt!! Lol.

Glad to hear everyone is getting along ok!!!

Ok who else had to eat pureed foods? Becasue I am running out of ideas already and its only been a few days. I am eating fat free refried beans, pureed chili, greek yogurt and cream of wheat. I've never been one that can eat the same foods over and over again, so I am having a hard time finding something to eat. I even cheated today and made some scramled eggs with some pureed chili and cheese (one of my fav breakfast's). It actually went down really well, which makes me want to cheat even more :( So any sugestions would be helpful.

Emmy

Ok who else had to eat pureed foods? Becasue I am running out of ideas already and its only been a few days. I am eating fat free refried beans, pureed chili, greek yogurt and cream of wheat. I've never been one that can eat the same foods over and over again, so I am having a hard time finding something to eat. I even cheated today and made some scramled eggs with some pureed chili and cheese (one of my fav breakfast's). It actually went down really well, which makes me want to cheat even more :( So any sugestions would be helpful.

Emmy

Other foods you might try:

Hummus

Baked & Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Malt to meal

Steamed fish

Mashed Carrotts

Hang in there, hopefully soft foods are in your future soon :)

Emmy ive been eating a lot of beans with mwlted cheese as well as a scrambled egg and my protein drinks. I found a sugar free pudding i like but i dont want to over do it. Also my nut has a recipe for for pureed chicken and green beans... If you want to try it ill find it and post it. Im thinking aboit trying it.

Thanks Amber! Im.going to have to buy some. I dont get it, guess its al of the hormomes or something that mess with our sleep??