Sign in to follow this  
jenniferleekinder

Lap Band Diet

hey everyone - im just in the process of getting the money together for my gastric band - my consultation is on the 29th really looking forward to it..

however im reading all these things online about the pre op diet for 7-12 days.. i think im really going to struggle with that.. i have a massive appetite and i do eat out of boredom, any tips on how to cope through this process before my apatite gets adjusted.

they diet they have sent me is like yogerts and stuff- literally no carbs or nothing really!

Welcome to T-T Jennifer!

You won't be on yogurt stuff for ever sweetheart - like all weight loss surgeries, we're started on things like that and reintroduce other foods gradually.

But yes - to maximize our weight loss, we need to severely restrict our carbs from starchy sources like pasta, rice, bread, crackers, potatoes etc. But vegetables and fruit are a good source of carbs anyway.

The lapband is a purely restrict procedure. It works by suppressing your appetite (not to be confused with head hunger - that a whole different matter).

Taking up a hobby can help with mindless eating - exercise is a great way of keeping your motivation up too.

Not every surgeon does a pre-op diet, so don't panic before there is cause! I did two weeks of Medi-fast. It was horrid. You don't have the surgery to help, and you're famished! But remember, the reason for it is to shrink the liver to make the procedure as safe for you as possible. Keep that in mind. The first three days are the hardest part as the carbs clear your system.

The pre-op is just something you have to "power" through. You CAN do it! We are here for you. Clear out as much of the junk from your home as you can. From your other posts, I take it you have a family, so you won't be able to remove everything, but do what you can. If you can avoid it, don't prepare meals for others during the pre-op phase, and don't drink alcohol..just too tempting to indulge.

I get my support here and on another lap band only forum. It is more active for bandsters than here.

i just cant wait to see my dr and see what he has in store for me! Ive been looking at some alternatives u can have like slimfast and shakes - so i suppose that wont be too bad- i hear they do help to keep the hunger at bay!

yeah i have my finance and little boy - my partner is hopeless at cooking lol so ill have to still make him meals and do my little boy stuff as wel :) as for the alcohol, that wont be tooo hard ive just got a bunch in for over christmas so im sure that will be gone by the time my appointment comes around lol !

thank you and i appreciate the advice!!

I had to do 10 days on Optifast, and I was a little on the cranky side, lol. The first two days are the hardest, especially since you're trying to adjust, and without something to physically chew on, it can be weird at first. Was I 100% on program? No. But I do believe following it helped me afterwards and now believe it or not, I am truly not hungry! I agree with Cinwa, head hunger is another deal entirely, and that I fight each and every day! I am off from work until the 22nd, and a lot of times it is due to boredom, and I know this. Luckily I have a little twinge on my belly that reminds me of how far I've come, and how far I need to go. I have been drinking some yummy protein shakes and I've found some flavor packets for my water that I love! If you need some support, we're here for you!